42 replies to this topic

#1 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted June 23, 2012 - 02:46 PM

Weather is great and it's the perfect time to continue rebuilding and painting my old D4-7.

I've come to a bit of a grinding halt though due to a few things. When I parked it, it rolled fine. Now it only moves roughly an inch or so F or R. I've noticed the shifting knob will not move up or down, it will wiggle, but it's not changing gears at all. If I raise the rear end, the tires spin freely in opposite directions.

I've looked and from what I see, part #S2279 of the transaxle won't move. That goes to the PTO in/out I believe.

My other question is, the PTO & High/Low gear levers for the D4-7, when I go to reinstall them, they slant at an angle. It doesn't look correct at all. Other than the manual, does anyone have a photo from under the steering column to show what that looks like? The D4-10 has what looks to be a bar that goes from one to the other, mine didn't have that when I took it apart.

Thank you all so very much!

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted June 23, 2012 - 03:34 PM

Sounds like for whatever reason that she's stuck in gear. The one inch or so of movement is just gear lash until it tries to turn the engine. You may have a stuck detent plunger, not letting the shift rail move. You can pull the top shift plate off to check this.
Not having a D4-7 I can't say for sure on the hi/lo, but I would think it's the same as the D4-10, and there is a 5/16" steel rod that goes through holes in the frame & the hi/lo shift levers slide onto this rod.
Some pics of yours would go a long way to help. I'll see if I have any pics of that area.

#3 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted June 23, 2012 - 03:45 PM

I'll snap some photos and report back. Thanks!

#4 sacsr ONLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted June 23, 2012 - 05:24 PM

Titus the D4-7 levers were bolted seperately to the frame.....like you said they did not have the bar all the way across. I do not have mine set up yet so I do not know how the levers should be except that there would only be so much adjustment you could make. Based on the part number you described you are looking at a D4-10 diagram. I posted in the manual section a owners manual that shows the D4-7 and D4-10 setup. Here are two pictures that might help you.

Attached Files

Edited by sacsr, June 23, 2012 - 05:25 PM.

• olcowhand said thank you

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted June 23, 2012 - 05:44 PM

Thanks Scott. Nothing better than owning a particular model to know how it's set up.

#6 sacsr ONLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted June 23, 2012 - 08:41 PM

Daniel, just wish I had the 7 up and running.....have all the rear end parts....just got to get back to it.

Titus,

Here is a picture of my dash......the levers are not hooked up so not sure this will be of any help.

Attached Thumbnails

• D4-7dash.JPG

#7 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted June 23, 2012 - 09:07 PM

Here's some photos of what I am talking about. It seems that if I tighten them up, they slant to one side.

I can see the metal piece that is supposed to go into the hole on the left side which I snapped a photo of, but not one on the right side.

I didn't get a chance to take the lid off to inspect why it's not moving forward or reverse. Will do that tomorrow.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0246.JPG
  • DSC_0247.JPG
  • DSC_0248.JPG
  • DSC_0249.JPG

#8 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted June 23, 2012 - 09:09 PM

S1027 would be the part number looking at the diagram that isn't moving.

#9 sacsr ONLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted June 23, 2012 - 09:20 PM

Titus are they switched?? I am thinking they are on the wrong side looking at the pictures and how the levers are pointing....

did you pull the top off to see if the cluster gear was moving on the rod?? I was thinking you said you could not get it out of gear. I would start here first......

My memory of the rear pto....it was actually an optional piece.....I had a d4-10 that was capped back there and no rear pto.....

You should be able to loosen up the bolts on the rear pto and it should just slide out the rear. That way you can see if it is impeding any movement. But wait and check the cluster gear and look inside the cover of the gear box to see if something is not working there......

Edited by sacsr, June 23, 2012 - 09:25 PM.

#10 sacsr ONLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted June 23, 2012 - 09:23 PM

The levers attach to the inside of the top cover not the frame......go look at your cover and see if there are places for the levers to attach....99% sure I am right.

#11 sacsr ONLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted June 23, 2012 - 09:30 PM

Just looked at the diagram....they are either on the wrong side....or turned the wrong way........looks like one of yours is straight and on is almost a 90 degree angle......I will see if mine are like that in the diagram they are both angled.

#12 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted June 24, 2012 - 11:35 AM

Here are some more photos from this morning.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0321.JPG
  • DSC_0322.JPG
  • DSC_0323.JPG
  • DSC_0324.JPG
  • DSC_0325.JPG

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted June 24, 2012 - 11:41 AM

Wow, it doesn't look as though it's shifted for some time. This transaxle needs disassembly & a thorough cleaning, and likely some new bearings/seals. I figure the shift fork would not move once taken off? Will the sliding cluster gear still slide?
If you did get this functioning without a good cleaning, then the rust & scale will end up in the final drive & you could eat up the ring & pinion, and more.

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted June 24, 2012 - 11:51 AM

Oh, now that's a sad picture. Hopefully most everything has survived.

Any idea where the water was getting in?

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted June 24, 2012 - 12:24 PM

Looks to me like the shifter needed a 'boot' on it. Got an e-tank? That would clean things up to where you could start getting it apart and find what it needs bearing and seal wise. Best of luck with it!