sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted June 22, 2012 - 04:56 PM

I bought a used power washer (that I had used before) from a friend......sat up all winter pulled it out and got it running......washed off some of the drive way where I work on these GT's and then powered washed the HD-12.....then all of a sudden no pressure and water spewing from underneath the motor......stopped the water and engine.....and found 3 bolts had broken off at the base of the pump......2 of them had been long gone and the one that broke will I was using it was the last straw......I easliy extracted two of the broken bolts...but broke off the extractor in the last one.......finally have gotten it all out and will have to get the right tap tomorrow to clean it out......

In all this process I had to drain the oil.......I did not catch it in something I could measure so now I have no idea how much to put back in.....the washer was sold by NAPA but made by some one else......went on the internet and I don't think they even sell these things anymore......

Any body got a suggestion on how much oil goes in these things??? The pages I have found on it says 'dont over fill it"........so I am a little worried about messing it up.

Thanks

#2 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted June 22, 2012 - 06:02 PM

Do you know what brand the pump is?

Does the pump have a sight-glass in the housing?

Is there an oil level plug on the side of the housing?

Is the oil fill opening at the top of the pump?

Can you post a pic?
  • sacsr said thank you

#3 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted June 22, 2012 - 06:02 PM

With no info on the engine, the only solution that comes to mind is monitor the amount you put in by the dipstick-maybe a half-pint at a time until you read some on the stick. Wait a few minutes with each pour, checking it again and again , slowly creeping up on the "good" or "nearly full " mark.

My experience with overfilling a KAW 14Hp a few weeks ago-it simply would NOT start and instantly fouled the plug.

:( OOPS, thought you meant engine-may work with pump also though.

Edited by Toolpartzman, June 22, 2012 - 06:04 PM.

#4 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted June 22, 2012 - 06:10 PM

:( OOPS, thought you meant engine-may work with pump also though.

The original post was rather vague, and I wasn't sure if he was referring to the engine or the pump. .....I took a shot that he meant the pump. ????????????????

#5 ncb OFFLINE  

ncb
  • Member No: 3755
  • 51 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted June 22, 2012 - 06:14 PM

i work on the commercial "magikist" carwash pumps and they take 8/10ths of a quart but they are likely larger than what you have.without specifics on that pump the oil will need to be about half way up the crankshaft,the rods need to dip and splash just like a gas engine.check to see if it has a sight glass on the side of the crankcase,if so the oil should come to the center of the glass.and overfilling doesnt do much more than make a mess on the floor .
  • sacsr said thank you

#6 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted June 22, 2012 - 07:01 PM

Sorry guys....yes the pump is what I was talking about.....the filler plug is clear.....I will go out this evening with a flashlight and see what i can find.....my old age....old eyes....and old glasses.....starting to get hard to read things .....

Will let you know what I find out...thanks for responding!

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 22, 2012 - 07:36 PM

Someone at Napa may be able to help with this. I don't know what their customer service is like but it's worth a try.