• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,458 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted June 24, 2012 - 12:45 PM

It's all looking great as always, Ray. That should take care of the drive shaft very well. I've had a few made over the years and have never regretted that decision. Those folks know how to get it right!
  • jdcrawler said thank you

#17 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted June 24, 2012 - 01:23 PM

Yes, darn near impossible for a common or even skilled mechanic to put together a driveshaft true enough for road speed use.

#18 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted June 24, 2012 - 08:37 PM

Sorry, I was confused as to the thread I was on. Your work looks excellent! Thanks for sharing the detailed updates. This is the most complete engine swap I have ever read, let alone the great pics. :thumbs:

Geno

#19 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 08:41 AM

New drive shaft made by Valley Truck Parts in Traverse City, Michigan.
The price quote was $350 to $400 and they ended up only charging $341.55 so I'm really pleased with that.
They cut the old piece of drive shaft off my Dodge slip joint and welded the slip joint to the front of the new tube.
A Chevy yoke was welded to the back of the tube.
New U-joints were installed on both ends and a new rubber sleeve was put on the slip joint.
The whole thing was then balanced.
Posted Image
  • wvbuzzmaster and KennyP have said thanks

#20 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,458 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 08:50 AM

Nice looking drive shaft! Glad it was bit cheaper than the quote.

#21 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,488 Thanks
  • 5,015 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 09:15 AM

Looks like they do nice work. That is one part that needs to be done by professionals unless it's going on a piece of farm equipment. I'll bet you can't wait to fire it up. :smile1:

#22 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted June 28, 2012 - 02:44 PM

When doing a swap like this, it's the little things that can sometimes eat up your time.
I realize that this doesn't look like much but it is the end result of about 3 hours of work.
This is the linkage to connect the shifting rod on the steering column to the shift lever on the transmission.
Posted Image

The old Chevy transmission had a shift lever that came out of the side of the transmission and the lever rotated all the way forward for "park" and backward for the gears.
So when you pulled the shift lever down on the steering column, it pushed the transmission lever back to put it in gear and pulling the steering lever all the way up put the transmission in park.

The shift lever on the Dodge transmission comes out of the top of the transmission and it rotates all the way back for "park" and forward for the gears ( just opposite of the Chevy transmission ).
The Dodge uses this linkage to transfer the up & down movement of the steering column shift bar to the forward & backward movement of the transmission lever.

The lever sticking up on the left has a rod that connects to the transmission lever.
I welded on another lever in the center that the steering column shift rod attaches too.
Posted Image

This Dodge shift linkage had to be set up in my frame so it was square to the transmission to prevent it from binding when moving.
The center lever that was welded on had to be in the right location and the correct length so the shift indicator on the steering column would correspond correctly to the gear shift locations in the transmission.
The Dodge frame was formed at an angle where the support bracket bolted to the frame.
My Chevy frame is straight so the support bracket had to be cut and re-welded to fit the frame.
Posted Image

Here's how it looks from under the truck.
Things like this is why it is a good idea to get a complete donor vehicle when doing a swap instead of just buying an engine off someone's garage floor.
Posted Image

Edited by jdcrawler, June 28, 2012 - 02:45 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#23 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,488 Thanks
  • 5,015 posts

Posted June 28, 2012 - 03:29 PM

Things like this is why it is a good idea to get a complete donor vehicle when doing a swap instead of just buying an engine off someone's garage floor.

Of all the things you have said so far I think this bit of wisdom carries the most weight. It seems in these transplants you can never have enough parts around. I've been through this on a number of vehicles over the years and it seemed I was forever going back to the donor and either looking to see how they did something or looking for a part that I might be able to make work.
I'm really looking forward to your first drive. The torque is going to amaze you.

#24 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,458 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted June 28, 2012 - 04:42 PM

Glad you got that figured out, Ray. Nice shifter linkage you have there.

#25 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 28, 2012 - 05:12 PM

Great progress Ray.