GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted June 22, 2012 - 07:40 AM

After more thought---This is an important thread- Particulary, for those us of who THINK we're retired or semi-retired. I think we forget that each time we come home with a "bargain" or that special "find" that its ALSO a burden of sorts. It carries with it "just one more project" to fill the day.

Exactly the way I feel sometimes. I find a new project at a price I can afford and bring it home or someone wants me to work on their stuff.. Then when I get it home I look at the already too long to do list and try to figure out why I accepted more work and the stress associated with it. Right now I have a total of thirteen "projects" on the to do list between what is in the garage and at my son and son-in law's. And if someone came and asked me to do another one I would probably add that one too. I end up jumping from one to the other and sometimes even get to finish one.

Most of the problem for me is not being willing and able to admit that I have lost a couple of steps over the past 20 or so years and I don't believe there is a cure for the disease, so when I can't carry on anymore someone else is going to have to clean up the mess.

This thread has at shown me that thankfully I am not the only one with this problem.

Bill

#17 Kyocum OFFLINE  

Kyocum

• Member No: 6171
  • 280 Thanks
  • 403 posts

Posted June 22, 2012 - 07:56 AM

Gee I sure am glad I am not the only person with these issues. It happens to me often, get to many projects started and get overwhelmed. I end up having to step away for a bit and then concentrate on one job at a time and finish it in it's entirety and move on to the next one. Of course not until I pat myself on the back with a job well done. Well off to reinstall the rebuilt axle in the smoker.
  • GTTinkerer said thank you

#18 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted June 22, 2012 - 08:03 AM

Good topic.I agree that one gets tired of fixing repairing stuff.You do need to step away for awhile.How ever long it takes you will know when the time is right to come back to working on your projects.I've gotten rid of stuff as well mostly scrap ,only to be working on something and thinking to myself I had a piece just like that and it went for scrap.But we can't keep everything as some stuff is just that scrap.Being around your age I think maybe its thinking why do I /we need to be working ,fixing stuff like this.I/we should have stuff that doesn't need to be fixed /worked on only thing is if we didn't have stuff to work on etc: I at least would soon be bored and wanting something to do.What you need is a different project to get over your lack of interest.One thing I've found is that if I'am away on a holiday , I can't wait to get home to start fixing/working on something.I do know that summer I'd rather be doing stuff cutting grass any kinda tractor work but winter time when its cold I enjoy my shop time repairing etc: as it feels good to be doing something rather then sitting around doing house stuff. The feeling of wanting to work and fix stuff will come back if you take a break so just hang in there.Larry

#19 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9589
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted June 22, 2012 - 08:58 AM

i seem to get like that more after i had my heart surgery for some reason.
there are times i wish i had some friends here to come over and give me a hand at times.
i have no friends here cause im not from here and most people here are drug dealers and addicts and i have no use for that kind of stuff.

#20 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 22, 2012 - 09:12 AM

i seem to get like that more after i had my heart surgery for some reason.
there are times i wish i had some friends here to come over and give me a hand at times.
i have no friends here cause im not from here and most people here are drug dealers and addicts and i have no use for that kind of stuff.

DS....yours is more involved, being the physical aspects affect your mental state. Sure wish some of us lived close to you to help out. Sometimes just a few minutes with a friend can last a long time to lift one's spirits. Hang in there!

#21 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted June 23, 2012 - 10:45 AM

DS, I'm about 3.5 hrs from you, but if you ever do a day trip, let me know. House is a mess, but the coffee's usually on.

I know what you mean about friends. Seems life and distance keeps you from those you want to spend time with. Thank goodness for phones and forums.

#22 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,498 Thanks
  • 39,728 posts

Posted June 23, 2012 - 12:33 PM

I guarantee if I were closer, I'd be there to help you 'play'. Not to many folks near me that want to 'play' with GT's. They just want to make money on them if they can!