#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted June 21, 2012 - 07:43 PM

Is there such thing as a mechanic's depression?? If so, think I got it, BAD! I've always had stuff to work on, sometimes for fun, sometimes for Need! Used to be lots more fun at younger year too. I'm 57 now and got into big MM tractors for awhile, started on GT's now and stuff's been going wrong, more than I wanted to get into to make right. I get all down and don't care to be in garage and look at all the Junk I have, and not seeing anything nice or new like I really wish for. Heck, other than mowing and pushing snow I DON'T REALLY have any need for tractor of any kind. Other guys bill cool Hot Rods or Bikes to ride, but Not Me! I'm really feeling Blue and talking about selling the whole works and moving on now. Help me get out of this depression, anyone else have this phase??
  • bowtiebutler956 said thank you

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted June 21, 2012 - 07:53 PM

Sorry to hear you feel this way glgrumpy, I cant say I have ever lost complete interest in my GT hobby but once in a while there are times where I take a little break for a while and and not work on any of the tractors.

Maybe it would help if you step away from some of your projects and take a few weeks off from working on them, after a while you may get motivated to work on them again.

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,743 posts

Posted June 21, 2012 - 07:58 PM

I'll sometimes just sit outside for a couple days , trying to figure out what I want to do next. Just looking things over and thinking what needs my attention the worst. Sometimes, I find something not GT-related that needs TLC. Then I come back to the tractors and go about doing what I was before.

#4 johnboggs21 OFFLINE  

johnboggs21

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4084
  • 18 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted June 21, 2012 - 07:59 PM

I get that way sometimes. I usually end up leaving it alone for a month or so til I get another idea of something I want to build and I start to get excited again.

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted June 21, 2012 - 08:03 PM

I think many of us go through such times. Though I've never had the thought of selling everything, there have been times I've questioned how many I should limit myself too. Right now with the hot weather & all, I'm not that excited about my tractors much of the time, but I'll come back around soon enough & want more! LOL

#6 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted June 21, 2012 - 08:15 PM

That's what I think too, just sit back and don't mess with them for a month or so. That'll give you some time to come up with something you' would like to do to make them better. Don't sell them unless you really can't get back into them after a good layoff.

#7 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted June 21, 2012 - 08:53 PM

Yep, as the others have said, walk away from them for awhile. Don't even look at them. Heck, throw a tarp
over them. Soon enough, you'll be wanting to look under that tarp.

#8 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10021
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted June 21, 2012 - 09:12 PM

I've been there Grumpy. What usually happens to me, is I take on to many different projects, and end up getting a little overwhelmed, and before I know it, I don't want to mess with any of them. I usually just get back to work doing the things I've been neglecting because of my projects, and after awile I find myself being drawn back to them. Sometimes it helps to just focus on one for awhile, and do a nice job on it. Then sit back, and enjoy the fruits of your labor. Before long you'll be wanting to do another. Don't sell off all your treasures, you would probabally end up regreting it. Why don't you post up some pics of your treasures, it can help to hear what other people think about some the neat old stuff we have laying around, and don't think much of anymore. You might be suprised how encouraging this can be. Don't give up yet! :thumbs:

Matt

#9 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted June 21, 2012 - 09:50 PM

I keep cycling through interest and hobbies. I do believe my main hobby is collecting tools! I have done woodworking, blacksmithing, bow making, mechanic, refrigeration, electronics and a few other odds and ends and i have tools for all of them. Every new hobby is a learning expierence, somethings learned in one hobby carries over to others.

I dont think you should give up, just diversify!

#10 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,339 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted June 21, 2012 - 09:57 PM

Been there my friend. It's usually prefaced with outside stress factors (work, wife, health, parents, etc) and it gets transferred to my fun. Usually with gnashing of teeth and big adult words in abundance. Eventually, wrenches fly and I go looking for an adult beverage, a comfy chair and a foot stool.

As mentioned above, walk away for a while. Resist your first and second urges to go back out and work on them

Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

#11 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted June 22, 2012 - 04:48 AM

Oh yes and HIGHLY contageous. I take a break, then pick a small job that's simple and success is virtually guaranteed. That seems to get the juices flowing again and most of all STOP PILEING ON more new projects.

What works for me is a variety-I make a short list of 3 or 4 and start in-when I run into a roadblock with one, I switch to another while mulling over the previous issue and back and forth.

And, if none this works-GO FISHING. :bounce: :bounce:
  • KennyP said thank you

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 22, 2012 - 04:59 AM

I have these spells as well. Focus on your accomplishments and not on the inevitable problems that occur when working on 40yr old machines. If working on stuff is something you have done all your life, and enjoyed, then that enjoyment is part of you and will still be there after you take a break and regroup. For me working on stuff is something that I enjoy and have from the time I was a boy. Circumstances kept me from doing it for years but the desire and need to do it is something that is still strong and will always be there. Theres lots of good advice to consider in the responses here.
  • Bruce Dorsi said thank you

#13 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted June 22, 2012 - 05:27 AM

After more thought---This is an important thread- Particulary, for those us of who THINK we're retired or semi-retired. I think we forget that each time we come home with a "bargain" or that special "find" that its ALSO a burden of sorts. It carries with it "just one more project" to fill the day.

I remember my dad telling me as a boy "Lee you can do anything you want to do". I guess I thought he said "everything" and now there are very few subjects that I'm not interested in. Frankly I've ALWAYS been insatiably curious about everything. That can lead to mind clutter and in turn, leads to some frustration of sorts..

A kid came to my door Weds and said he was picking up scrap metal-I just looked back at him for a moment, thinking "he thinks all my Good Stuff is Scrap ? and then I finally said "Son, this is your lucky day". After 3 trips, my yard is mostly cleaned up and maybe we all need to do a little mental spring -cleaning.

Edited by Toolpartzman, June 22, 2012 - 05:28 AM.

• Alc, GTTinkerer and KennyP have said thanks

#14 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted June 22, 2012 - 06:48 AM

If working on stuff is something you have done all your life and enjoyed, then that enjoyment is part of you.

Brian described me, without ever meeting me!

My enjoyment comes from working with my hands, and solving problems. .....When I lose interest or the challenge fades, I switch to another project, but eventually I will return and finish the un-completed task.

#15 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted June 22, 2012 - 07:08 AM

I agree completely, when the GT time isn't calming amongst all the other stresses, walk away, use "the words" if it helps, careful how hard the wrenches fly !! Nice chair under a tree if it's nice out, get one inside in A/C or at least in front of a fan, a foot stool and a good dog to roll its eyes at you cause they really do understand us better than we understand ourselves...We are pulling for you.
My dad always said "you can do anything you set your mind to" but he also later started telling me "Rome was not built in a day and STOP burning the candle at BOTH ends!!!"...Good advise, wish he was still around so I could tell him I'm finally getting it...