• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,526 Thanks
  • 39,746 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 09:11 PM

Dang, that's dry! I'll get the rain dance going down here for you!

#107 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted July 03, 2012 - 08:57 AM

Man o man am I aggravated. When I got that less than 1/10" Saturday, I just found out my brother less than 1/2 mile south of me....he got a full 3/4" of rain! That would have been huge for our corn. Got nothing but sprinkles last night. South & north just a few miles either way got downpours!

#108 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted July 03, 2012 - 10:10 AM

Your turn next. Try to hang in there :thumbs:

#109 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted July 03, 2012 - 01:21 PM

Not looking good at all here now. Sun is out full force, cooking everything. Temps going back to triple digits Thursday & local weather calling for 103 Saturday. Looks like we'll be chopping silage in July. :(

#110 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 02:50 PM

It was HOT in the milk parlor tonight. I've mentioned this before, but for the benefit of newer members, my 12 cows in the milk parlor put out the same as a 60,000btu furnace! That was with a REAL 106F mercury reading in the shade. My remote thermometer got up to 111. The forecast is grim for our crops.
I am dreading the next whole year if we have a failed corn crop. No corn, no money, and not much fun. One disastrous year can take several years to recover, if ever at all. I usually try to find the positive, but right now I come up with a blank.

When we lived in Germany, we visited a family we had met in East Germany. They had a small farm with a couple milk cows, and assorted other critters. The house and barn were all one structure--constructed of stone.

One of the reasons they did that was to gain the warmth from the animals into the house. The Irish did the same thing, I understand.

The house was pretty old--before the days of indoor plumbing, so the toilet was out in the barn... My daughter (13 years old) had a hip to ankle cast from a broken leg, and had to hobble out to the barn in the middle of the night... the cow mooed at her and scared her so bad she fell down and had to crawl to the edge of a stall to pull herself back up.

As for rain... we've had a nice gentle downpour here along Utah's Wasatch Front starting late morning... hopefully the cooler weather and moisture will keep going east and bring relief to the rest of you...

You're in our prayers...

U.S.

Edited by Utah Smitty, July 05, 2012 - 02:53 PM.

#111 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 02:56 PM

Things may be looking up. Storms have fired up west of here & I am under a 50% chance of severe storms. I am praying hard for rain from this, as it's the 1st decent chance in over a month now. I am just above "ME" in red to show where I live.

Heck I'm pretty familiar with your neck of the woods, I spent some time at Ft. Knox, KY. Also have a good friend in Cecilia, KY, which is near Elizabethtown if I remember right.

#112 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 04:33 PM

Heck I'm pretty familiar with your neck of the woods, I spent some time at Ft. Knox, KY. Also have a good friend in Cecilia, KY, which is near Elizabethtown if I remember right.

Yep, Cecilia is just a handful of miles from E-town (as we call it). I live about 22 miles SE from E-town.

#113 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 04:36 PM

The last 2 days have just been more of the same, rain & storms within a couple counties. There are storms & heavy rain just to the east & SE of me right now. I'm almost getting used to it. If no rain comes the first half of next week, I'm afraid we'll be forced to chop the corn silage. We're just running out of time, and if we wait too long, we'll have little to nothing.

#114 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 05:13 PM

:offtopic:Yesterday I was trying to think of the name of the little town my first wife was from and here ya'll start talking about Cecilia and that was it. Married in 11/1968 while I was stationed at Ft Knox and divorced in 6/1969, would have been quicker but it wasn't final until I paid the court.

OK back on track.

Bill

#115 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 06:31 PM

104 here today, supposed to get better first of next week. ~~ Lowell

#116 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 06:51 PM

104 here today, supposed to get better first of next week. ~~ Lowell

Same temp here today. Tomorrow going a couple higher, and calling for 107 plus around 5 degrees heat index rise on Saturday!
Watered my garden all day today.

#117 Tencubed OFFLINE  

Tencubed
  • Member No: 10398
  • 22 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 08:29 PM

Sounds like it's crunch time this year for your corn crop. Wish we could send you some of the rain we've been getting this year. Been unusually wet and cold here. Alfalfa has been a challenge this year due to the cold, slow growth and stubby crop, and when it was cut the rains did a lot of damage keeping the windrows wet. Finally baled and put away but it's not premium stuff and about a 50 to 60% crop volume. It's starting to warm up some so the wheat is turning. Should be a good crop if the rains hold off till it's ripe and harvested.

Farming is a risky business at best. With the fuel and equipment prices the way they are the return on investment/equity is miserably low. Like most farmers we're short on cash and long on assets. I know several guys my age that want to sell out but no one is dumb enough to invest the money into such a low return project.

I sure hope you manage to survive this year Oldcowhand. We've experienced crop failures and know what you mean about taking a long time to recoup the losses. Our grandsons are the fifth generation of the family to live on this place and we've kept records of weather and crops since the beginning when the place was homesteaded. Weather patterns seem to be getting wetter the past 15 years or so and the summers are starting later and lasting later in the year.

We've put you on the prayer list for things we talk to the Lord about around here. Have faith that things will work out, faith is about the only thing that's certain in farming.

Mike

Edited by Tencubed, July 05, 2012 - 08:30 PM.

• NUTNDUN and olcowhand have said thanks

#118 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 09:05 PM

It sure put's a different prospective on listening to the news about the drought when you know people who are dealing with it and you know what they are going through. We've been fortunate in that for the last 3 days we have gotten a shower or two, yesterday being the best rain in quite a while.

Daniel I keep praying you will get some rain, but someone just ain't listening to me. :(

#119 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 09:13 PM

It sure put's a different prospective on listening to the news about the drought when you know people who are dealing with it and you know what they are going through. We've been fortunate in that for the last 3 days we have gotten a shower or two, yesterday being the best rain in quite a while.

Daniel I keep praying you will get some rain, but someone just ain't listening to me. :(

I know what you mean, last year when Texas was having their drought it did not affect me. Now, everytime I hear something about anything that is dry, or anything about rain I think about what Daniel's corn is like. Yesterday we got a few minutes of downpour, not for very long though.

#120 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 09:14 PM

Went up one more to 105*!

Hauled six 35 gal tanks to shrubbery yesterday with the 550 Mule. Need to sprinkle the two gardens again tomorrow, plus what we hose every day. Water (& sewer) bill will be high this month, along with electric for the air conditioners! :mad2: ~~ Lowell