• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 22, 2012 - 08:42 AM

we havn't had a good rain in over a week and you can see the grass stopped growing and the weeds taking over .

Weeds are even wilting here! I sure hope this isn't a repeat of 1983! If it is, garden food is all I will have....won't have money for groceries. But then we still have time for rain to pull us out. Here's for hoping & praying!

#17 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted June 22, 2012 - 09:09 AM

Everything is brown here as well. Some parts of Texas have had rain but not around here. I've been watering my garden since planting and water my fruit trees as well. Usually we get rain in May and June but it's been dry again this year. Better than last year but still bad. We'll probably not get any more rain until Sept., it almost always rains on the first day of dove hunting season.to mess up the hunting. Hope you all get rain that need it.

#18 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 22, 2012 - 09:15 AM

Ronnie, no matter what goes on here, I don't know how dry it can get compared to you guys down there. For those of us making a living and depending on mother nature to give us rain, it can be a trying time. At least both of us can water our garden to have some great food!

#19 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted June 22, 2012 - 09:21 AM

It's been pretty dry here in Utah as well... ditto for Colorado--wildfires are a serious problem... If we have a wet spring the grass and underbrush grows like crazy... then, if it heats up too soon the grass dries and the fire hazard increases tremendously. We've had two serious fires this year already started by people target shooting out in the country side. The fires started by the bullets creating sparks that set the grass on fire...

The other thing that has increased the fire hazard in the west is that the environmentalists have stopped, or substantially slowed down the cutting of pine trees afflicted with pine beetle. The loggers clear out undergrowth in the areas they cut, so it reduces the chance of fires spreading, but if they don't get in there to remove dead and dying trees, you have a tinder box.

I drove along I70 in Colorado two years ago and all you could see in what was once beautiful pine forests were red (dying) or gray (dead) pine trees...

Over 200 homes have been destroyed due to wildfires in Colorado this year... yet the environmentalists insist that nature take it's course...

At any rate, may I offer a suggestion in all seriousness? I know that there is a God that is all-powerful, and I believe in his infinite love for us... We all need water at the right time and in the right place. Let's set aside a day of prayer, and even fasting for those that can, and invite all members of GT Talk to participate. This Sunday would be a good time...

FWIW,

Utah Smitty

Edited by Utah Smitty, June 22, 2012 - 09:22 AM.

• Alc said thank you

#20 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 23, 2012 - 07:28 PM

Well, yesterday it poured here for about 10 minutes. The ponds next door went up a few inches and I could definitely feel it in some spots when I was mowing today. I am not sure of the exact amount that fell but it was the first real rain in a while.

#21 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 23, 2012 - 08:53 PM

Smitty, prayer sure can't hurt & I've been saying many myself. Just 10 miles north or south of me has green grass & perfect corn. The highest chance of rain in my 10 day forecast is 30%, and that's next Saturday. Maybe the tropical storm Debby will shift forecast directions & send some rain up this way.

#22 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 23, 2012 - 08:54 PM

Well, yesterday it poured here for about 10 minutes. The ponds next door went up a few inches and I could definitely feel it in some spots when I was mowing today. I am not sure of the exact amount that fell but it was the first real rain in a while.

Always glad to hear others get rain when needed, even if I don't get a drop. :thumbs:

#23 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted June 23, 2012 - 09:23 PM

Dan it so Dry here that I saw 2 oak trees chasing a Dog today. LOL We are DRY too and I'm thankful that I'm not having to worried about hay for cows as there is none here. Our pond is falling faster than I would like just watering the garden.
  • JDBrian said thank you

#24 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 23, 2012 - 09:36 PM

Dan it so Dry here that I saw 2 oak trees chasing a Dog today. LOL We are DRY too and I'm thankful that I'm not having to worried about hay for cows as there is none here. Our pond is falling faster than I would like just watering the garden.

Likely it's dropping more to evaporation than watering your garden. We have plenty hay from last year, so we're alright on that account. Silage is our concern.
  • dstaggs said thank you

#25 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,565 Thanks
  • 3,947 posts

Posted June 23, 2012 - 10:05 PM

It seems that when ever the crew I am with starts a house in this one town, it starts to rain about every other day. In about a week we will have two houses to start there, that might bring some big rainstorms east. It has been happening to us there for about two years now without fail. Hope you get the rain soon.

#26 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 25, 2012 - 10:38 AM

Just had my vet out for a sick cow. He lives 40 miles south of me, and they are in dire straits with their crops. Soybeans there are yellow, and their corn has went from twisted to turning white...almost dead. So I am not nearly as bad as they are, but critical. Our corn is now tassling and twisted. Still hope, but not any rain in the forecast. Gonna be cooler tomorrow, but back to 98 on Thursday. 1st chance of rain this Saturday at 20%. Was sure hoping storm Debby would churn some rain up here, but not looking like it.

#27 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted June 25, 2012 - 10:59 AM

20% chance isn't much but we'll pray for you folks down there, Al

#28 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 25, 2012 - 11:51 AM

Oh man, I hope you get some rain soon! It poured and rained an thundered all night long here.

#29 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted June 25, 2012 - 12:39 PM

We've got plenty up here also, wish we could share. Be glad to hear this turn around in your favor. Keep the faith

#30 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 25, 2012 - 12:59 PM

Oh man, I hope you get some rain soon! It poured and rained an thundered all night long here.

Yes, I watched that on radar, wishing I was under it!