• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,574 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 07:35 PM

The stupid thing I did was to "try" loading my generator to take to dad's into my truck by myself.....didn't happen. Now my lower back is hurting. I should know better!
Kind of stressed right now, but what's new! :(

#272 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 07:43 PM

I am glad you are getting more rain and the grass is coming back to life! I am sorry to hear you may have lost some livestock, I hope they all made it!
  • olcowhand said thank you

#273 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,574 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 08:37 PM

Went to Chris' place to pay him for the sawdust, and soon as I got down from my house, I found a 2'+ width treetop on the fence. Lightning must have split the tree. My son piled the brush on top to keep the calves in for the night. Another job to tend to, plus I'll have to check every bit of our fence line for more damage, which I'm sure there is more. More storms in the Louisville area dropping my way too, but hoping they break up before getting here.
Also, when I turned on the city water, there must have been silt & crap settle into that shut off line. Now we have crap in all the water solenoids in the milk parlor, so many will have to come off & apart to get them to work again. Yes, I wanted rain, but not all this! Anyone want to buy a dairy farm?

#274 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,242 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 08:43 PM

Daniel, I think all our prayers for rain for you are coming in at once...

Please be safe on the fix-ups & take care of that back!

How far is Dad's place from you? A set of wheels under one end and a ball hitch on the other would make that Gen set a little more manageable.

#275 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,574 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 08:56 PM

It's just 2 miles to dad's, but I'll take my small trailer to bring Dad's genset to my place to work on. It's a tilt & easy to load stuff. I didn't bother with the trailer when I loaded my gen due to it POURING rain when i went to load it. I just backed my truck into the shed where the genset was.
Just checked the milk parlor water, and all looks clear. Now I wonder if it's crap broken loose from the well pump at Josh's house being his house is the only place with the crappy water. If we have to pull the pump, we have to dig the yard to get to the sealed well tube to pull the submersible pump. May not be that bad, just have to wait & see.
Prayers for rain here have been answered! Now for the people that still need rain, I hope it doesn't bring bad storms with damage & problems, but I do pray you get water from the sky!
  • MH81, Texas Deere and Horse, middleageddeere and 1 other said thanks

#276 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 10:08 PM

Also, when I turned on the city water, there must have been silt & crap settle into that shut off line. Now we have crap in all the water solenoids in the milk parlor, so many will have to come off & apart to get them to work again. Yes, I wanted rain, but not all this! Anyone want to buy a dairy farm?

We had a chicken house on our farm, with automatic waterers for the chickens. Early on, silt and debris would constantly get into those things and clog them, we had to repeatedly clean them out. Finally put a 55 gallon drum in line as a settling tank, that really cut back on the problem. Of course our water was frequently of dubious quality, we pumped it out of the local river. Dad would have to cut the pump off during a rainstorm so the pump wouldn't pick up muddy water and turn all our water brown. Life got better after we put in a well, but we still boiled all our water before we used it.

#277 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 10:28 PM

Glad you got some moisture there Dan. Sorry about all the problems it brought along.
Weather man is promising us some of the same for tonight and tomorrow. We need it so bad I guess we will take it any way it comes now.

#278 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,445 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted July 25, 2012 - 05:55 AM

Sorry to hear about your back , hope it's just a muscle strain not anything worse , also send your excess rain my way , Al

#279 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,574 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted July 25, 2012 - 08:12 AM

My back is fine this morning thank goodness, just a slight soreness. Just finished milking, & need to check the well pump 1st. Dad thought he had his AC fixed, as the magnetic starter switcj was bad. He ran into town & got one & the AC came on just like normal, but no cold air. I think the scroll compressor may be bad, or the control board shot, not closing off the proper valves. He said it just blows hot air, so it may be running as a heat pump instead of AC.
Gotta check the heifers, as LOTS of people in the area lost cattle to lightning.

#280 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,574 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted July 25, 2012 - 10:44 AM

Had an HVAC man out. Both control boards were shot, but he wired it for manual operation till he can get the boards in. He'll have them in the morning. Not gotten to the well pump yet, but I believe it is just a run capacitor.

#281 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 25, 2012 - 10:58 AM

Sorry for all your problems, but glad you got some rain. I hope it soaked in some before it all ran off.

#282 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,574 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted July 25, 2012 - 02:40 PM

Bypassed my hometown & went to Elizabethtown to Master's Supply where they handle well pumps/parts to get my capacitors. Turns out it was the starting cap, and for sure because it was leaking oil. Anyway, the counter guy said they didn't have it in stock & would take a couple days to get, special order. They don't stock much in well pump parts these days because most people have city water now. Well crap I figured.....then the customer at the end of the counter spoke up saying he had what I needed. He had the same 3/4hp submersible problem after the last storm, and because of the shortage of parts, he ordered capacitors, and a complete control box just to be sure he got his pump going. He got his capacitors first, so he still had the complete box, AND he had it with him, and the receipt and just wanted his $74.05 back. I said "SOLD"!!!!!!!!!!!! My well is back up & running! Finally a bit of good luck!
  • MH81, KennyP and twostep have said thanks

#283 sacsr ONLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted July 25, 2012 - 03:00 PM

I have to believe there was some divine intervention with that guy being in the store the same time as you! Glad it worked out!

Yes we have been getting rain every evening for almost 2 weeks plus......hate to complain but I really need the evenings to catch up! In spring I am gone most of the time.....July and August are my 'catch up' months!!!

But like many, moisture is part of my business and I will try to be appreciative when it pours at 5:30 in the afternoon this time of the year and it is too wet to do the work that is needed. :smile1:

#284 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,574 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted July 25, 2012 - 03:33 PM

I have to believe there was some divine intervention with that guy being in the store the same time as you! Glad it worked out!

:smile1:

That's kinda what I thought too Scott!

#285 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,242 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted July 25, 2012 - 04:40 PM

Are you sure he wasn't part of that submersible pump starter cap black market ring we've all heard about?

Daniel, the man upstairs is looking out for you today. That's some fantastic news. :thumbs: