#256 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted July 20, 2012 - 04:55 PM

Watering helps but nothing and I mean nothing beats a good rain. Wonder what the difference is? :anyone:

#257 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted July 20, 2012 - 06:29 PM

Watering helps but nothing and I mean nothing beats a good rain. Wonder what the difference is? :anyone:

Nature!!! Actually, for one thing, rain picks up nitrogen out of the air on the way down.
  • Alc and Cvans have said thanks

#258 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted July 20, 2012 - 07:17 PM

That makes sense.

#259 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 21, 2012 - 04:20 PM

Well, we've had several days of overcast skies and dark clouds, but the rain comes in fits and starts... Did get about 1/4" a couple days ago. However, the weekend has been sunny and HOT!! ... figures... I just about have the repower done on the MF7 and it's so hot my tools burn my hands when I pick them up...

Oh well... it's been a bad year for heat and crops overall. We try to store several months of food and water "just in case". We've been stocking up some more because I think food prices will go way up this year...

#260 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted July 21, 2012 - 04:27 PM

We've been lucky around here. We've had many rains this past week. The blades of grass were dead and new ones just sprouted and started to grow. I don't recall having a dry spell here that was long enough to actually kill the grass. IF it keeps it up, we may even get some late sweet corn around here... I think...

#261 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted July 21, 2012 - 10:41 PM

We finally got some much needed relief here. It started rainging thursday evening and it didnt quit till last nite overnite. Nothing heavy, just a nice steady rain all thru the nite and day. Ended up with allmost 2" out of it. It won't help our corn that much but the soybeans should do allright as long as we keep getting it the way we should.

#262 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 09:01 AM

So good to hear many have gotten relief. The drought is going to cost us plenty, but we'll survive at our dairy. The rains are reviving totally dried up pasture, and helping our corn at least replenish moisture levels so the nitrates will drop off some.

#263 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 10:35 AM

Some good news is better than none, giving thanks.

#264 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 11:09 AM

Glad some of you guys with crops and herds are getting some relief! Not sure when we'll get rain again!

#265 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted July 23, 2012 - 04:46 PM

105* here so far! As usual, spent much of the day watering, just to keep things alive. Six loads with the 550 Mule & 35 gallon tank:

#266 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2316
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted July 23, 2012 - 04:58 PM

i gave up on watering just seems to be a loss cause . i dug a hole with a 955k cat. Saturday and hit moisture at around 6 feet and it wasnt much moisture .

#267 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 02:52 PM

Heat index in lower 100's today, but the humidity makes it feel worse than the 105 with low humidity.
But the rain has brought back some green at least. How long the green lasts depends on this heat, and when we get more rain. Same spot of my yard, before & after rain:

dry.JPG DSC00018.JPG

#268 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 07:05 PM

Well, the yard should green up some more. A pretty wild storm came through & lasted about an hour. At least 2 1/2" of rain, wild wind, and nickel & dime size hail. I was standing in my storm windowed back porch watching when the wind "sucked" one of the storm windows through the frame! It got stuck between the frame sides, so I grabbed it & got it pulled in before the wind took it. The wind was blowing away from the window, so no rain came in & I just left it open. In about 1/2 an hour the wind shifted & rain came pouring in, so I had to put the window back in while getting soaked. The part I didn't like was the lightning all around while holding the metal frame! Dad's electric went out, and his generator's carb is plugged. So took mine out there & got him going. Shortly after, the line came back on. Then we discovered his heat pump/AC was out. It makes some rough noises, then resets. Hoping it's simple, but whatever it is, it's GOT to get fixed tomorrow. Heat index is gonna be out of sight with the humidity, and they have no window AC at all.
I unplugged my computer during the lightning, so I've been offline for a bit. Tomorrow is gonna be busy, but NO chopping, as there are hilly sections that'll be slippery as a minnow's belly! I figure I will have all my creek "water gaps" torn out to repair, as it came a flash flood in my entire area.
These pics are after the worst had passed.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00019.JPG
  • DSC00022.JPG
  • DSC00023.JPG
  • DSC00024.JPG

• MH81 said thank you

#269 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 07:12 PM

Glad you got more rain, Daniel. Sounds about like the storm that came thru here last, except we didn't get the hail!

#270 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 07:32 PM

My son just called, and the well pump at his house that feeds his house & the milk parlor/water troughs is out. More problems! It never ceases around here. Luckily we thought ahead & put a connector between the city water & the parlor for such times, so we still have water, just not cheap water. I have 2 or 3 days of work just fixing all the problems this storm brought. Got some barn roof loosened up too, but none torn off that I've found. Not sure what else is wrong that I haven't found though. Guess I'll know tomorrow. With all the lightning, I'm afraid I may find some heifers killed by it. All the milking cows were up at the barn & are ok.