powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted July 17, 2012 - 10:58 AM

Sorry to hear and see the results of the drought. Just saying sorry seems so feeble, wish there was more we could do. Hang in there Daniel, we are ALL pulling for you and all the others out there trying to keep us all fed.

#227 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted July 17, 2012 - 12:07 PM

The only good thing about your post is I learned something today. Been raising sweet corn for years and didn't understand why once in awhile I would get a cob that wasn't filled out. Now I know. I've never seen any as bad as yours Daniel. I thought after you got the rain your troubles were over. Sorry.

#228 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted July 17, 2012 - 12:11 PM

The only good thing about your post is I leaned something form it. I've been raising sweetcorn for years and didn't know why once in awhile I would get a cob that wasn't filled out. Nothing like the ones you pictured though. Never gave pollination a thought. Daniel I thought most of your troubles were over when you got rain. Sorry it didn't work out for you.

#229 Tencubed OFFLINE  

Tencubed
  • Member No: 10398
  • 22 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted July 17, 2012 - 12:15 PM

I've never seen a cob with that little grain on it. Been looking at the reports on the internet about how much of the country is considered a disaster area this year due to the drought. Really a serious situation covering a very large area.

Reports show that our State, Washington, has had the coldest first half of the year on record which duplicates what our farm records show. We're finally getting the hot, dry weather we're accustomed too but still getting some thunder storms. Second cutting of hay has been better than normal but the two cuttings will still be below what would be an average total tonnage for the year.

Least the wheat is looking good now. Hope it stays dry here and you folks get the rain you need.

We don't put up silage here and I didn't know the sugars and such would store in the corn's stalk if not moved to the grain. We don't raise any corn so I'm really illiterate on the subject. Hope you end up with good feed at least.

Mike

#230 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,634 Thanks
  • 3,923 posts

Posted July 17, 2012 - 09:33 PM

Here is one of two ponds on my place. The water is maybe 30 feet across and maybe 4 inches deep at best. From where I took this picture I should be standing in at least knee deep water this time of year - didn't even get my feet muddy. I know the pond is silted in and needs dug out but this is the worst I've seen it in the 21 years I lived here. The other pond is not much better but the cows are still able to drink from it - for now.

Attached Thumbnails

• pond.JPG
  • pond fish.JPG

• olcowhand said thank you

#231 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted July 17, 2012 - 10:06 PM

Got a .25 in. late this afternoon. Not much but it beats nothing. Very spotty around us. Just 6 mile south they got 2.3 in.

#232 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted July 18, 2012 - 04:57 AM

Dang it! That doesn't look very good at all. Hope it makes good silage for you.

#233 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted July 18, 2012 - 05:58 AM

Kris do you have access to water for the cows if that pond dries up ? I keep praying for all you but looks like I'll have to get Mom praying too , pretty sure she's the best . Al
  • Gtractor said thank you

#234 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,634 Thanks
  • 3,923 posts

Posted July 18, 2012 - 01:13 PM

If the second pond goes dry I can put a galvanized tank just over the fence and water them with a garden hose. Never had to do that before but I'm on a rual water system so the quantity is there. I have three cisterns but have never used them - they likely don't have much in them anyhow.
Guy just down the road from me is chopping his corn for silage already.

#235 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted July 18, 2012 - 08:36 PM

Severe storm warning & it's heading right down to me. High winds, but hoping it at least brings more rain. The fields at dad's 2 miles from here are already twisted again. Getting dry here already, but then over half of the 2" rain I got ran off in gully washers. Was still golden though!

#236 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 18, 2012 - 08:51 PM

I thought I was going to have a good storm today. It was thundering and there were a lot of lightning bolts and flashes. Outside it felt like it was going to be a doozy but it sprinkled only a little bit. I thought it was going to fill up the ponds here. Before the last storm they were down 4-5 feet, after the storm they were only about 2 foot low. Since the last rain they already dropped close to a foot again. When they get low, the wildlife starts to go away. The only good thing about that is that those damn geese leave.

#237 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted July 18, 2012 - 08:59 PM

We had about a half inch over the weekend and that is allready gone from all the humidity and heat the past three days. Was supposed to be a good chance today but we missed out on all of it. We had thunder and lightning and black skies this afternoon and I thought we were gonna get some good rain. Ended up with nothing whatsoever, southeast corner of the state got hammered but it formed just to our southeast and missed out on it. Next chance is saturday but it is too late for the most part for our crops.

#238 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted July 18, 2012 - 09:04 PM

Rain has arrived! Coming a good heavy rain, but not a literal downpour. But it just got here, and more behind it, so hoping for an inch or more. :thumbs:
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#239 English OFFLINE  

English

• Member No: 3525
  • 19 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted July 18, 2012 - 09:36 PM

Praying for rain! We got about 1/2 inch last night and this morning. Supposed to be 60% chance tomorrow too!

#240 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted July 18, 2012 - 10:01 PM

Well, no inch, as it fell apart quick, but we likely got a good 1/4", and every little bit helps!