• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,433 Thanks
  • 39,673 posts

Posted July 13, 2012 - 05:56 PM

WOOHOOOOO!!!! I'll take it! Means I get to mow again! Seat Time!

#212 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted July 13, 2012 - 06:13 PM

Down here at my place, I got over 2" total. 2 miles out at Dad's where the corn usually goes to grain he got 1 1/4+" Those fields weren't hurting as bad, so it will be enough rain to pretty much finish the ears I hope.

#213 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 13, 2012 - 07:18 PM

Good news. It would be nice if your precip. would go back to normal now! We haven't had any rain now for about 10 days. We have a slight chance of scattered thunder showers for the next couple of days but no systems in the forecast for the next week.

#214 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted July 13, 2012 - 07:29 PM

Here at my house, we didn't have anything more than 1/20th inch in about 6 weeks. Parts of one field got (guessing) maybe 1/4". Longest dry spell like that I've ever known. 1983 was dry, but not that little of rain for that long a period.

#215 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 09:34 AM

Kenny, I am glad to hear you got some rain also! I am having the same problem right now. No rain means dead grass, dead grass means it wont grow, grass that wont grow doesn't need to be mowed, and now I loose seat time! :mecry:

#216 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,433 Thanks
  • 39,673 posts

Posted July 16, 2012 - 05:24 AM

I'll get to mow a couple more times, Ryan! That rain closed up some of those cracks, which is a big help. Don't need to drop a wheel into one of them!

#217 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted July 16, 2012 - 06:25 AM

Still pretty dry here, they say it was the driest June on record. We did get 7/10ths out of two fronts this weekend, felt good. Decided to work on a culvert project since the areas around it were dry enough to get into with a loader. Had it back-filled just as the first front cut loose, boy that settled the clay in nice around the pipe. Feeling blessed right now...still need a good bit more rain to get the nitrates leveled out in the hay crop that hasn't burned completely out. Hauling 325 to 650 gallons a day still to the herd. Finally got the most dangerous tree of the fence-line this weekend too (posted in what did with tractor today)

#218 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 16, 2012 - 10:26 AM

I got more rain yesterday then I have gotten in a while. It was a good rain. It was slow at the end but it lasted for hours. I don't know what the official measurement was. How do I check to see how much rain fell? I can't seem to find it on the weather channel site.

#219 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,863 posts

Posted July 16, 2012 - 10:31 AM

Great to here a lot of you have got some rain. Still looking up at blue skies here. Did get less than .01 Saturday afternoon. No help.

#220 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted July 16, 2012 - 11:41 AM

I got more rain yesterday then I have gotten in a while. It was a good rain. It was slow at the end but it lasted for hours. I don't know what the official measurement was. How do I check to see how much rain fell? I can't seem to find it on the weather channel site.

Ryan, the weather channel often won't record precip until after the end of their 24 hour cycle. I've found the best way to get past data from the weather channel is to go to the "Monthly" forecast, which also will show the daily data for each day up to the current one. It also provides data from the previous month.
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#221 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 16, 2012 - 01:09 PM

Thanks Howard.

I got 1.42 inches yesterday! I know it rained into the night so I will have to wait until tomorrow to see what I got overnight.

#222 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted July 16, 2012 - 07:19 PM

Ryan,
About the only way you can be sure of how much rain you got where you live is to have a rain gauge there. As Daniel and others have said someone half a mile down the road may get an inch and you may get nothing or three inches where you live. The last golf course I worked at had six rain gauges out on 140 acres and very seldom did more than a couple have the same readings.

Bill

#223 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted July 17, 2012 - 08:21 AM

Been dealt another blow I'm afraid. The corn planted last out at Dad's was the least drought affected corn "visually". Even our feed rep thought it would pull through great with rain, which it got. Unfortunately during the hottest days was when it was pollinating, and despite our & the feed rep's thoughts, it did not pollinate. The ears in the pic are average ears, with some in usual wet spots having a third of the ear with developing kernels. These fields will now have to be chopped instead of the earliest planted, as it has some corn. Dad thinks 100bu/acre, but he usually over estimates. I hope we can pull an average 75bu/acre. The grain-less corn does have a good size stalk, so may turn out some decent silage. My Southern States Coop area manager said most of the energy that would end up in the corn grain will still be in the stalk, so we'll just have to see what the analysis turns out after chopping.
Been dealing with so many stress situations this year it is mind numbing. Can only get better from here I hope.

About a dozen kernels on one ear, and only 8 on the other.

DSC00129.JPG

#224 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted July 17, 2012 - 08:45 AM

I'm sorry for you poor harvest , hope things turn around for all who work off the land , Al

#225 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,863 posts

Posted July 17, 2012 - 09:51 AM

Daniel, that had to be a real kick in the shorts. i truly hope this weather take a turn and soon.