• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted June 21, 2012 - 11:04 AM

Well, things are looking very bad in western Ky for crops. Right now it's almost too late even if they get rain. Corn there has tassled, but the silks are so dry the pollen won't stick to them, so they are predicting a 40 to 60% crop loss failure out there, maybe worse. My corn was looking to be the best in years, but now it is suffering too. Luckily mine hasn't begun tassling yet, so there is hope. But we need rain here within a week or less, and the outlook isn't so good. Just a 30% chance tomorrow, then dry forecast for 7 days after. The weather just won't cut us a break. Not sure what we'll do if we have a failed crop. It's beginning to feel like a losing battle.

#2 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 21, 2012 - 11:10 AM

Sorry to hear your crops are having a hard time, Daniel. I dont have a garden like most members do, so I have been enjoying the dry and how much the ground has dried up and all the wet spots that are going away. I will do a special rain dance for you, Daniel!

#3 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted June 21, 2012 - 11:23 AM

Hope you see some rain soon Daniel.
We just got our first moisture in about a month. Just over an inch in the last few days. My earliest sweet corn is in the v6 stage right now. It started to roll up its leaves and we had started hauling water last week. This brought it back around and now an inch of rain we should be OK for a while. Not much rain in the forecast.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted June 21, 2012 - 12:11 PM

Been almost a month since the last true rain here too. I've been watering the garden almost all the season. Sprinkler is going out there right now.

#5 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted June 21, 2012 - 02:01 PM

SE Ohio feeling it too. I started hauling water to the cows this week. Some of my fruit trees are stressing as well. Hard to figure when we had such a wet winter, no snow really, just very wet...couldn't lime the fields fall or winter cause of wetness, now?

#6 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted June 21, 2012 - 02:01 PM

I agree that this year has been terrible for rain, both in amount and timing of it. I even did the special rain dance here on Monday (washed the car) and it didn't work.

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 21, 2012 - 05:22 PM

It's even getting a bit dry up here. Forest fire index is in the extreme range in some areas. That's my worst fear when it's dry. We've had a couple of close calls with fires over the years. It's very scary when you live in the woods several miles from the main road! At least now we have 2 escape routes. Up til a few years ago we had only one road out.

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted June 21, 2012 - 05:27 PM

It's even getting a bit dry up here. Forest fire index is in the extreme range in some areas. That's my worst fear when it's dry.

Lets put it this way.... I don't toss a cigarette onto my lawn right now. It could literally burn my yard down. About the only truly live grass I have is over my septic lines. Cow pasture is just dry grass, with hardly a green blade to be found. If we have a corn crop failure, it will be devastating to say the least.

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted June 21, 2012 - 05:36 PM

Daniel, I will pray for rain to come your way, but just in case, go outside and imitate this gentleman. Oh, & video is mandatory.

Seriously, I hope you get some moisture soon. Thirsty cows don't make much milk... And if the corn crop goes south, well, I know how that can hurt a farm financially..

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 21, 2012 - 05:40 PM

I'm hoping you get some rain soon Daniel. As someone who is not a farmer I sometimes forget how vital a reliable source of water is to the livelihood of farmers and indeed to the entire food supply.

#11 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted June 21, 2012 - 05:40 PM

We have had rain four out of the last five days and on a couple of days we had over 3/4" each day and we are only a few hundred miles from most of you. Most of our rain is picked up by the west wind off Lake Michigan which is why we get way too much snow. One of the golf courses I worked at in 2001-2005 got hit with a tornado Monday afternoon that took down about 100 large trees. The course is only 35 straight line miles southeast of home.

Most of the crops around here were wiped out though due to the early warm up and then several hard freezes which took care of most of the cherries and apples.

Bill

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted June 21, 2012 - 06:08 PM

One good thing is that we have a GREAT well. Only 85' deep, but has never even hinted of slowing it's volume flow. If that well went dry, then we'd be hurting quick! Cows drink a LOT of water. Plus we're running sprinkler hose under the shade cloth to keep them cool. I'd love to know how many gallons we use per day. Likely somewhere around 2500+ gallons per day at this time. That would be one heck of a water bill if city water!
I just went to get the cattle trailer at Dad's & looked at the corn as I went. Some of our earliest planted is beginning to tassle. I've seen corn in much more distress, but it's sure got me nervous. Not expecting any rain down my way now according to the weathermen. None for at least another week or more!

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted June 21, 2012 - 07:41 PM

I hope you get some moisture soon, Daniel. I know how much you count on the corn and with the pasture drying up, it could get real tough to feed the girls!

#14 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted June 22, 2012 - 12:44 AM

well we are in the same boat here, got 4" about May 12th, then nothing until last weekend when we finally got 2" in 2 days. We're on sand here and you dont go without very long. I was watering the garden when the well pump locked up on Memorial Day sunday, that only cost us $1400 to replace, but we're pumping great volumes now. Going to have to mow this weekend as the weeds are getting up in the yard, no real grass to cut just clumps of weeds every few feet. Missed out on the storms going though last night again.

On the good part the heat finally left us and its cool, so that will stretch us out a little while longer. Man if you farm, theres always the next time.

#15 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,628 posts

Posted June 22, 2012 - 05:57 AM

Hope all the people will start getting the much needed rain , we havn't had a good rain in over a week and you can see the grass stopped growing and the weeds taking over . I've hand watered ( sprinkling can ) some of the smaller plants . We'er supposed to get thunder showers today we'll see , Al