Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Plastic "gizmo" Drain Plug On 22hp Kohler Command ?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted June 20, 2012 - 09:10 PM

Are they kidding me? A $1500 engine protected by this thing? Has anybody changed this out? What about warranty if I change it? Scratch that... WHEN I change it...

#2 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted June 20, 2012 - 09:52 PM

One of the mowers I purchased new 20 years ago had one of those if it is the push and turn type. I was a little leery of it but to this day it has never given a moments trouble and I kind of liked not have to get a wrench in there to drain the oil. Seems like it had a nipple on it to fit a 1/2 inch hose onto. My Son has been using it for several years now so I don't remember the exact hose size.

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted June 20, 2012 - 10:42 PM

My 2004 has that, it has never given me a lick of trouble. IDK it has ever even dripped.

I do think the add-on hose idea is daft, just put the drain where it won't pour all over the steering linkage to start with, and you don't need that POS hose that I lost in a week...

#4 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted June 21, 2012 - 03:03 AM

You don't say whether this is a cub or not, If it is or a husgavarna make sure it is tight were it screws into the block, then when out of warranty get rid of it and put a long nipple with a cap on. Kohler bought alot of engines under warranty because of those plastic nipples coming apart,
  • MH81 and jpackard56 have said thanks

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 21, 2012 - 05:04 AM

I've never seen that. The Kawi's on some of the JD's have a metal valve with a hose so it will drain without making a mess.

#6 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted June 21, 2012 - 02:10 PM

You don't say whether this is a cub or not, If it is or a husgavarna make sure it is tight were it screws into the block, then when out of warranty get rid of it and put a long nipple with a cap on. Kohler bought alot of engines under warranty because of those plastic nipples coming apart,

Yep, its on a Cub and when I went to turn the yellow PLASTIC cover piece it flew of the end exposing a couple o rings. I was not being rough with it. If this is what a couple of the other fellas have had good luck with them I'm guessing the manufacturers have cheapened them up a bunch !!! Today I measured for a nipple and plug. When I went to remove the base part of the plastic "gizmo" it was not threaded tight either, just turned out by hand. I need this thing to work, so I'm glad I found out before I had to jack around with a warranty claim. Thanks for the feedback.

#7 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted June 21, 2012 - 03:58 PM

Save the broken parts and I don't think it would be an issue down the road. I hope you don't run into more problems with your mower. I know a gentleman that has a yellow Zero turn and has yet to mow his yard without it breaking down. This is not the box store version and he hasn't been getting much help with the issues. He ended up purchasing an older Ariens GT and has been using that while the new Zero turn sets in his shop. Needless to say he is not a happy camper. The really sad part is his large farm machinery is newer Case-IH also.
  • jpackard56 said thank you

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted June 23, 2012 - 02:10 AM

Was yours a half turn lock or just a pull out to drain? Mine has a half turn lock position when closed.

Sorry you're underwhelmed by the construction, hard to get used to the new junk when were all used to playing with well built stuff from 30 yrs ago.

#9 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted June 23, 2012 - 06:29 AM

It is the half turn style. Now that everything is cooled off and I found the yellow cover it is warped and does not seal correctly. So I still don't know how hot this thing actually gets but it was hot enough to mess up plastic that presumably is designed to be attached to an engine.
I see one of the fellas said his grille had sagged from engine heat...
I haven't got my brothers in-fared reader yet (should see him over the 4th) I still plan to check temps before and after adding the cooler. I know we have better engineering and technology than this... but obviously the new way is all about "just in time and just enough to get out of warranty" :(

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,414 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted June 23, 2012 - 06:38 AM

Sounds like those could use some extra cooling fans to get the heat away from the plastic quicker. I'll stick with my metal GT's, thank you!

#11 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted June 23, 2012 - 10:39 AM

I'm really sorry that you have found yourself in such a pathetic situation. Sends a very bad message about today's engineering practices and lack of concern for the consumer. Like Kenny I think I will stay with my older tractors or go with something that is designed properly for commercial use. Thanks for keeping us updated!
Hope you get this problem resolved.