• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,303 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted June 20, 2012 - 06:36 PM

I did a little horse trading and part of the deal was a Mantis tiller with a "dirty carb"

They were right... And a ripped fuel pump. I did the old gasket trick to work around that just to get it running, but after about 6' of tilling, it just stopped. I though my gasket had gone bad, but I was getting fuel, no spark. It's an echo (Kioritz) sv-2ae engine.
Part number 138 on page 3 here: http://mantis.com/gl...02_pn_385_3.pdf

Kind of narrowed it down to an NLA part, the coil. They have them on epay for $50, but before I dump money into this, I thought I'd like to try it and see if it was going to work right. Also, am a little suspect that the guy really has 200 of these things...

Now the question, anyone know of a work around? Permanent or otherwise?
There is only 2 wires going into it, so I was wondering if a regular coil could be made to work somehow.

#2 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted June 21, 2012 - 01:28 AM

I read on another post "sorry cant remember where"that someone tried that and fried the coil. Something about auto coils putting out 12v then dropping to 7 or 8v. and small engine coils putting out 12v all the time. Maybe it was in the bolens forum?
  • MH81 said thank you

#3 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted July 04, 2012 - 08:56 AM

Here is a link to a similar type conversion...http://www.simpletractors.com/do_it/magneto_to_coil.htm

I did this on a tractor and it worked great.

I think you should be fine.
  • MH81 said thank you

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,303 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted July 04, 2012 - 09:11 AM

Unfortunately, this doesn't have a set of points. I am trying to swap the flywheel with something standardized off a weedwhacker and adding an external mag. So far, I got it to backfire LOUD, so I was getting spark, just had the timing wrong.

Kids soccer has started, so my free time is much less than it was 2 weeks ago. Project shelved until my hearing returns and soccer is over :)
  • middleageddeere said thank you