#1 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted June 20, 2012 - 04:52 PM

I went out to the bins near the back garden this morning to remove the rotted plywood from the 4' x 8' sawdust bin. Finished tearing it out, moved over about 10' to the seat on the edge of the garden fence to pet Chief & Dottie a bit. This seat is fastened to the RR ties that contain the garden & is part of a short fence to keep the rabbits out. Shortly after setting down Chief started biting at something in the air, then Dottie started yipping. I soon found out why, Yellowjackets! :mad2: I think Chief got the worst of it, Dottie got some stings & I got hit 4 times!

We took Dottie to the Vet since she's so young, Vet said to just keep an eye on her, since any reaction should already be showing up, she's fine now. Chief's ears are swollen some & he acts like he doesn't feel the best, found a few bumps on his back & head. We've all three been taking it easy this afternoon, 92 degrees out today.

I went back out afternoon & shook the seat & the yellowjackets started coming up out of a crack in the RR tie, so I soaked it with wasp & hornet killer. Revenge is sweet!!! :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana:

Back to normal tomorrow! ~~ Lowell

#2 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10021
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted June 20, 2012 - 05:44 PM

I keep a can of wasp spray handy! I hate those things! :mad2: Its not so bad when I get stung, but they got my son awhile back.

Matt

#3 Littledeere ONLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted June 20, 2012 - 05:45 PM

Man those things hurt, and they sting and bite at the same time hope you all recover fine.
Try to keep my eye out for those kinds of things but they will get to you before you know
whats happening

#4 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,477 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted June 20, 2012 - 06:12 PM

Lowell I'm sorry to hear about you and your pets getting stung. I hope you were able to get rid of all the bees and they don't come back. Those things really hurt when they sting you.

#5 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted June 20, 2012 - 06:31 PM

I used up what spray was left in two cans, one in the garage & one in the shed. I'll get two more cans tomorrow, keep one in each location all the time. Stings hurt, but don't really bother me that much. I was more concerned about Dottie, being only 13 weeks old & probably never been stung before, you never know what the reaction might be! She's back to her normal, ornery self now, playing under my desk chair!

Never expected them there, we use that seat regularly, about halfway to the back fence from the house & in the middle of garden & flowerbed areas. ~~ Lowell

#6 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted June 20, 2012 - 08:26 PM

Sorry about your confrontation, glad you and the dogs fared o.k. I react badly to hornets, so I buy hornet spray by the case when it is on sale and when I find a nest there is NO MERCY.

#7 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted June 20, 2012 - 09:18 PM

Lowell, I'm glad the dogs are ok. I'm also glad to hear you got your revenge. Good for you.

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted June 20, 2012 - 09:23 PM

I've always said, that wings and stingers are a nasty mix. Yellow jackets can sting like a singer sewing machine to boot. Not like some other bees that lose their stingers.

#9 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted June 21, 2012 - 12:54 AM

I also am glad the pup and the rest of the crew are recovering well. You might want to fill the crack with expanding foam or somthing to insure that you can rest in peace. :)

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,393 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted June 21, 2012 - 05:48 AM

The job we just finished was infested with Red Wasps. We used 5 cans of spray and still had to fend them off with a fly swatter. Luckily, I only got stung once. Those red ones are very aggressive!