• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 brianintheup OFFLINE  

brianintheup
  • Member No: 9957
  • 3 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted June 20, 2012 - 03:39 PM

I lost spark on my HH120 so I am considering repowering the tractor. The shaft size is 1-1/8" but when I did a repower search it looked like some people are putting engines with 1" shafts on. How do you make up for the differance in diamiter? Or am I missing something?

Brian

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,201 posts

Posted June 20, 2012 - 03:54 PM

Have you diagnosed the spark issue on the original engine? I think it would probably be cheaper trying to fix the problem than to buy a replacement engine....

#3 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 20, 2012 - 03:58 PM

Have you diagnosed the spark issue on the original engine? I think it would probably be cheaper trying to fix the problem than to buy a replacement engine....

I have to agree. No matter what the spark problem is, it would probably be cheaper to fix the spark issue. It could just be something that is getting overlooked and could cost you nothing.

#4 brianintheup OFFLINE  

brianintheup
  • 3 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted June 20, 2012 - 07:50 PM

I have fix the ignition once before. I plan on taking it to someone that knows more about solid state ignition systems tomorrow. I know that it would be cheeper to fix the motor that I have. But I am thinking it might just be simpler to replace the motor.

#5 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted June 21, 2012 - 12:36 AM

I have seen a few adds for tractors with running hh120s for $100 to $150. This option could give you some spare parts also? I do not know alot about repowering a tec, but the K series kohlers sure do look like they should work???

#6 poncho455 OFFLINE  

poncho455
  • Member No: 9039
  • 3 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted June 22, 2012 - 04:26 PM

just to answer the question. the HH100 and hh120 according to the manual, both have 1 inch cranks. i know my hh120 and my hh100 both have 1 inch cranks. the hh140-160 have the 1 1/8. unless they changed it up at some point my belief is that all hh120's have 1 inch crank. i installed a gx390 clone and the pulley went right on.

#7 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,298 Thanks
  • 2,332 posts

Posted June 26, 2012 - 11:21 AM

A Wide base K series kohler will not work without some serious modifications.I was going to put a Wide base K301 12hp kohler in my old 1050.
The Wide base oil sump that is almost 4 inches wider and 3 inches deaper.And the engine is just over 4 inches taller than the TDA10D Wisconsin that was in my 1050.

You could use a shallow sump block out of a cub cadet if you can find one.Flat bottom,Shallow sump.The deep sump or (camel hump sump) will not work unless you get creative with your mounting.

#8 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted July 03, 2012 - 12:04 PM

I bought a shaft collar when I was doing the same thing before. Turning my 3/4" shaft into a 1" shaft. Got it from Small Engine Warehouse for about $10 shipped as I recall.

#9 brianintheup OFFLINE  

brianintheup
  • 3 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted July 07, 2012 - 02:00 PM

I just checked the shaft size again and it is 1 1/8 inch. I talked with a local macheanist and he said he could make a bushing for the shaft. I don't know what I am going to do. I replaced some wires and it ran for a little bit and then quit again.

#10 Jason4567 OFFLINE  

Jason4567

• Member No: 841
  • 6 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted July 08, 2012 - 06:42 AM

I would suggest fixing your spark issue. Those solid state igniution systems are pretty easy to work on. If the module is being grounded (maybe through a worn wire or bad keyswitch), then it will not make spark. you can try disconnecting the kill switch wire to see if there is a wiring issue causing your problem. Also check that the magneto is gapped to .010" from the high pin on the flywheel.

If you do choose to do a repower with a 1" shaft motor, you should be able to use a pulley from a tube frame that used a 1" shaft, such as a 1050. I have a few spare pulleys here at the shop that I could sell.

Jason

#11 brianintheup OFFLINE  

brianintheup
  • 3 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted July 08, 2012 - 09:55 PM

Jason,

I did an ome test on the stator and it was 437 which according to the Tecumseh manual I have means that the stator is good. I did an ome test on the ignition unit and it is just over 5 thousand which according to Engines&Magnets is in the exceptible range. I have been pull starting the engine the starter has been removed as well as the battery and voltage regulator. I just wanted a simple tractor. Kill swich is on the side of the engine now.

I had it running agine the other day for about 5 min. and then it lost spark again. More than anything I am getting frustrated with the engine. I am looking at an 8 HP Wisconsin for 50 bucks. Any thoughts?

#12 poncho455 OFFLINE  

poncho455
  • Member No: 9039
  • 3 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted July 09, 2012 - 10:42 AM

Brianintheup, sorry for the misinformation, strange to me that mine is 1 inch. but it seems most are 1 1/8. mine was a 1253, I have never checked my 1220. I would recommend getting a wiring diagram for the 1220 and wiring just the essential wires to get it to run the engine. that way if it loses spark after a while again you can eliminate the wiring. if it does die after warming up i have read that is one of the ways the solid state fails, besides completely giving up. Ohm readings are essential for alot of electrical work, but if it will spark when cold and not after it warms the reading could be changing with heat, being that it is solid state something could be opening up after warming. just some thoughts, good luck.

#13 brianintheup OFFLINE  

brianintheup
  • 3 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted July 09, 2012 - 02:20 PM

poncho455

Thanks for the info. I plan on running a couple more tests before I through the towel in.

#14 brianintheup OFFLINE  

brianintheup
  • 3 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted August 28, 2012 - 01:45 PM

I just got a 18hp v-twin Briggs and I plan on repowering with this engine. Thought you guys might like to konw the decision I made.
  • Delmar said thank you

#15 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted August 28, 2012 - 04:38 PM

If it will fit that should give plenty of power for you!

I have a HH120 in the shed that came off an old sears suburban tractor. the SSI quit on it too. There is supposed to be a way to use it ( SSI module) and a coil to make spark again, but I never tried it.I jusr went and found another motor from an older sears suburban that had points instead of the SSI and repowered with that.

If you can, take pics during your repower to show the all the gang how it is done. Keep us posted!

Edited by JBBR, August 28, 2012 - 04:44 PM.