• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 faust OFFLINE  

• Member No: 7325
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted June 20, 2012 - 08:12 AM

Good Day All,

A friend of mine was going threw his shed and found what looks like badges or shields off
cockshutt plow co. equipment.Just wondering if any on would know what type of badges they are.
Or any other type of info on them.cockshutt (1).JPG cockshutt.JPG
  • Lmiller3358 said thank you

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 20, 2012 - 11:54 AM

Can't say for sure. They apear as if the would have been riveted to implements? As I recall Cockshutt was the brand attatched to Oliver Tractors sold in Canada. The Oliver plant was in Charles City,Iowa.

Another thought? When I was very small, My Dad had a Maytag Badge(with his employee number on it) and security would not let anyone through the gate that did not have a company badge. Things may not have changed that much. I can't get in the building at work without my employee ID with a Bar Code on it. There is a reader at every door.

#3 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted June 20, 2012 - 06:57 PM

Don't know what the badges are from...seem too short for serial numbers. I learned a fair bit about tractoring on a Cockshutt 30 that my grandfather bought used when my mother was a girl though. If the folklore is right, that was the first model with a PTO that worked when the tractor was in motion.

#4 David TE OFFLINE  

David TE
  • Member No: 25491
  • 3 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 09:26 AM

At first , I thought that they were employee badges but I see that they are laying flat which means there is no pin in which to attach to the shirt. 

I am quit positive that these are plant equipment asset tags. Each would be attached to a press , lathe etc.   They are for yearly inventory purposes and must be visually displayed so that (government auditors) could identify. They must be removed , after the equipment was removed or sold. 

I worked at the Massey Verity plant , in Brantford, and recall these similar tags. Much of the equipment , particularly presses , drop hammers etc, were supplied by the government to companies , in order to produce materials for the war. After the war , equipment , as such, was sold to the company for the sum of $1.00 . Hope this helps 

• Texas Deere and Horse, JD DANNELS and boyscout862 have said thanks

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 02:39 PM

That is a good point! In our High School machine shop, Many of the machine tools had been donated by Maytag Company after they cycled out of use for production(They had Brass Tags like that on them). Maytag was a contract builder during WWII and there are a couple aircraft engines built by Maytag during WWII in the county museum.

Edited by JD DANNELS, January 16, 2013 - 02:41 PM.

#6 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,298 Thanks
  • 1,291 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 04:49 PM

I think David hit the nail on the head with the machinery tag idea...Thanx Faust fro sharing