13 replies to this topic

#1 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted June 20, 2012 - 06:45 AM

Okay, I knew I was going to have weeds because I broke up a chunk of lawn/prairie for my garden. It's been wet for a week though, too wet to do anything, and the weeds are taking over.

Considering at the beginning of the season I was hauling water out there because it was waaaaay too dry, it's very discouraging.

On top of that, deer have been gnawing the tops off my tomatoes and potatoes. The garden is too close to houses and the highway to shoot the deer, plus it's well out of season, so I tried the human hair thing. That's worked in years past, but not this time. I don't want to use mousetraps because the dogs like to help when I'm out there.

I know the solution to the weeds...a hoe and some back-breaking labour. Anybody have any idea how to keep the deer away though?

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,261 Thanks
  • 28,604 posts

Posted June 20, 2012 - 06:51 AM

This will slow them down. Eventually, if there isn't anything else to eat, they'll come back and get used to the taste,

http://www.hotpepper...oducts/FAQ.html

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted June 20, 2012 - 07:38 AM

You could try a " garden helper " but you loose a few plants when they lay down , :lol: Al

http://gardentractor...lper#entry65580

#4 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 20, 2012 - 08:21 AM

Yeah Maybe? Last Year I planted snap beans and set a fence up beside them so they would climb the fence so there was less stooping to pick the beans. Worked real well with one exception. The Deer liked that too(?) and ate every leaf off the beans.
The wife read somewhere that Irish Spring soap would repel them. So We bought a bunch of bars and cut them in thirds punched a hole through and tied strings to them and hung them on the fence. It worked and the beans recovered so we got some beans.
So this year I bought a small Hand sprayer, and the liquid Irish Spring Body wash(just pour a little in and fill with water) and have been spraying my garden every couple weeks. And for the most part the critters have left things alone.
  • Alc said thank you

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 20, 2012 - 10:07 AM

We have the same problem. Once the deer get used to being around people they aren't easily scared off and get more bold all the time. This year my wife has used something called Bobex -I'm not sure of the spelling. it's a spray bottle of liquid that has a foul odor and does seem to work. It's a natural preparation and I'm not sure what's in it but it smells like garlic is one of the ingredients. I had to extend the garden fence up to 8ft high last year after they started hopping over our 5ft fence and eating their fill. Good luck!

#6 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted June 20, 2012 - 10:54 AM

If they do most of their plant eating at night, a couple passes of 20-30lb test clear fish line around the garden on some posts seems to work pretty well for us so far, I guess they don't see it, bump into it and back off. A friend swears by his little portable radio set to an all night am talk radio station, he sets it in the middle of the garden.

#7 bh115577 ONLINE  

bh115577
  • Member No: 9791
  • 434 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted June 20, 2012 - 10:58 AM

Best thing I've used is a product made from what they wash out of the big cat cages at the zoo. Don't remember the name, but if you can find something like it, it will work. Just don't get it on your clothes and bring it into the house or you'll regret it. :mecry:

#8 twostacks OFFLINE  

twostacks

• Member No: 6470
  • 447 Thanks
  • 426 posts

Posted June 20, 2012 - 02:10 PM

I had to put two strands of electric wire around my sweet corn patch last year. I have a mulberry tree near my garden which attracts all kinds of critters. Once they came out of the woods for the mulberries and found my sweet corn it was all over. One strand down low for the raccoons and one up high for the dear. It's a pain when I want to work the garden, but it works. I figured the deer would just hurdle the wire because I only put it at about 3-1/2 to 4 feet, but they never did. Gary

#9 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted June 20, 2012 - 07:09 PM

Okay, I'm going with fishing line and Irish Spring to start. Also, I might build a scarecrow out of beer cans on the advice of a co-worker, but that's likely to entertain the neighbours more than scare scare the deer.

#10 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted June 20, 2012 - 07:20 PM

We have a farmer south of here that has a few hundred deer in the last few years. He grows corn and if they get into his corn, he can shoot them and leave them lay. He cant move them are harvest the meat, he has to leave we're he shot them, so he can prove they were into his corn. And it's all legal here.

#11 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted June 20, 2012 - 07:51 PM

We have laws here about shooting too close to houses or roads. Not sure what laws you have there about such things, but I think ours are pretty reasonable. Not sure what the rules are here for for protecting crops from deer, but I'm pretty sure my vegetable garden wouldn't qualify anyway.

#12 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted June 20, 2012 - 08:08 PM

Yes this is Oklahoma. We even have a law that states we can shoot Hawks, Eagles, and Falcons that attack our chickens, but it is against Federal Law.

#13 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 20, 2012 - 08:18 PM

We have a farmer south of here that has a few hundred deer in the last few years. He grows corn and if they get into his corn, he can shoot them and leave them lay. He cant move them are harvest the meat, he has to leave we're he shot them, so he can prove they were into his corn. And it's all legal here.

That is true in Iowa as well, pretty much to the letter. But on the East 1/4 mile away is a housing development and to the north where the garden is the neighbor has stock cows. It may be legal, but I have a hunch a few shots with the 444 would stir up all kinds of hate & discontent?

I had coons get in the attic of a house I had about 10 miles from here. I called the county conservation officer. He said" laws did not really apply to nusiances (SP?) animals. handle them as you see fit and don't even tell me about it."

#14 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted June 20, 2012 - 08:31 PM

The term is SSS, Shot, Shovel, and Shutup. LOL

The wife's hair dresser trapped and drowned over 20 shunks from under her house. The city code enforcer showed up to give her a ticket for trapping inside the city limits. She was HOT!! Read that guy the riot act, told him she called the city numerous times about the problem, and they didn't do anything about them. She dug one out of the trash she had just killed handed it to him and told to do his job and get rid of it.

After a few minutes he left, and she hasn't heard a thing since.