• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 MrFixit1599 OFFLINE  

MrFixit1599
  • Member No: 10251
  • 71 Thanks
  • 71 posts

Posted June 19, 2012 - 01:44 PM

I recently bought a Bolens 1050 with the mower deck, plow, tiller, and snow thrower attachments. Manually raising the deck is fairly easy, but lifting the tiller and I imagine the snow thrower are not going to be easy. I am looking to add the hydraulic lift kit to it assuming I can find one. My question is, what model should I be looking for? Was the hydraulic lift for the 1050 specific to that model or can the hydraulic lift from other models be used as well?

Thanks for any input.

Aaron.

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,685 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted June 19, 2012 - 01:53 PM

Welcome to GTT :wave:

We would love to see some pictures of your tractor when you get a chance.

Hydraulic lifts were optional equipment on all the gear driven tubeframe models so they were all interchangeable from model to model.
It seems like the prices have gone down on these as you can find a complete working unit for around $200. I remember they were going for $400+ a while back but they seemed to have come down in price.
  • MrFixit1599 said thank you

#3 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted June 19, 2012 - 02:01 PM

I recently bought a Bolens 1050 with the mower deck, plow, tiller, and snow thrower attachments. Manually raising the deck is fairly easy, but lifting the tiller and I imagine the snow thrower are not going to be easy. I am looking to add the hydraulic lift kit to it assuming I can find one. My question is, what model should I be looking for? Was the hydraulic lift for the 1050 specific to that model or can the hydraulic lift from other models be used as well?

Thanks for any input.

Aaron.

as 1000 sayed they are not cheep and there kind of rare i have not been able to find one how ever i have seen people use a heavy spring as spring assist that does make quite a difference
  • MrFixit1599 said thank you

#4 MrFixit1599 OFFLINE  

MrFixit1599
  • 71 Thanks
  • 71 posts

Posted June 19, 2012 - 04:43 PM

Picture added to the Registry.

#5 Jack ONLINE  

Jack
  • Member No: 9304
  • 1,127 Thanks
  • 771 posts

Posted June 19, 2012 - 04:51 PM

I have one on a tractor that I am selling. But I want to sell the whole tractor. But its cheap enough that you might want to take it all. Send me a PM and we will talk about it.

#6 MrFixit1599 OFFLINE  

MrFixit1599
  • 71 Thanks
  • 71 posts

Posted November 07, 2015 - 10:32 PM

Ok, after spending the past few winters remembering how heavy the snowblower is, then forgetting about it all summer, I think I am going to try and at least replicate the spring assist system.  I downloaded the manual for the installation of it, but does anyone have any decent pictures of the actual setup?  It appears to just be some linkages, bolts, and a spring.  It surely can't be that difficult to make one.  

I guess a better question to ask is, have any of you used this system, and does it actually work, or should I just save my money and time and keep looking for a hydraulic lift system when I remember to.

#7 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted November 07, 2015 - 11:35 PM

The spring asst kits do work to some extent,i'm not that impressed with them for the heavy duty tillers,they do help some with the snow plows,I never tried one with the snowblowers,the hydraulic lift asst is the best way to go,but they are a little expensive,but in my opinion well worth it

Edited by blackjackjakexxix, November 07, 2015 - 11:38 PM.

#8 Chubien OFFLINE  

Chubien
  • Member No: 61561
  • 605 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted November 07, 2015 - 11:54 PM

I have started playing with the hydraulic kits on my tractors and they work well, but be prepared to have to deal with oil leaks if you get one unless you get a unit that is in really good shape, I have 2 of these kits and have managed to make one good working one out of the 2, one had a leaky cylinder and the other a leaky pump. I next have to change the hydraulic lines as they are all cracked.... For me they have so far been more of a headache than they're worth.

#9 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted November 08, 2015 - 04:08 AM

Where does the belt for the pump hook up to? I downloaded the manual for this system but it seemed to show everything except where the belt drives from. Is another sheave needed on the engine crankshaft? I have been thinking about building my own hydraulic system with a bigger capacity to run a logsplitter and maybe other projects in the future. I have thought about driving the pump off the pto, but if I could drive off the engine instead, I would prefer that. I know most pumps will not tolerate the side load of a belt drive, but there are a few that will

Jim

#10 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted November 08, 2015 - 04:40 AM

Your existing sheave has an 'extra' groove that will drive it.

100_4038.jpg 100_4029.JPG

• CanadianHobbyFarmer said thank you

#11 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted November 08, 2015 - 05:12 AM

Thanks Old Buzzard. My 1054 has two grooves for the drive and two for the pto, but there is still enough space between them to slip that in. I am a bit surprised that that grabs well enough to drive the pump though.

Jim

#12 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted November 08, 2015 - 07:37 AM

I am using a power steering pump out of an old Chevy pickup with tank attached to drive the power steering on my full size tractor.  Works great.  Why wouldn't a pump like that and a small cylinder from Ag equipment be adapted to the hydraulic lift system?  Be a lot cheaper than buy the OEM unit and have to replace all kinds of parts to get it to work.

#13 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,685 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted November 08, 2015 - 08:42 AM

Thanks Old Buzzard. My 1054 has two grooves for the drive and two for the pto, but there is still enough space between them to slip that in. I am a bit surprised that that grabs well enough to drive the pump though.

Jim

Theres an actual sheave to drive the pump, its not riding on the outside of the pulley if thats what your thinking

They can usually be found complete for $200 , the key is inspecting the drive cylinder for the lift arm and see if its rusty, if its clean you're good to go the rest of the stuff is easy, they are very simple units.

Attached Thumbnails

• TR-10D 6.JPG

#14 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,141 Thanks
  • 1,207 posts

Posted November 08, 2015 - 09:43 AM

You could use a small off the shelf cylinder and valve and fabricate some brackets like I did - http://www.mytractor...nder-valve.html .  You could use a power steering pump or a 12 volt hydro unit to run the cylinder the same as snow plows and dump trailers use - http://www.princessa...nit/A-p8478141e - just suggestions if you cannot find an original set up. 

#15 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted November 08, 2015 - 10:53 AM

Theres an actual sheave to drive the pump, its not riding on the outside of the pulley if thats what your thinking

I am a bit embarased to admit it, but yes I thought the belt was just riding on the shaft between the drive and pto sheaves. I had a look at mine and yes there is another sheave for the hydraulic pump as well.