• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#16 El Exorcisto OFFLINE  

El Exorcisto

• Member No: 4241
  • 15 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted June 28, 2012 - 01:02 AM

I plowed and disced in my garden this year, and plowed snow the few times we got more than a couple inches last winter. I have a lead on a sickle mower with all the pieces included and just bought a little piece in the country that could REALLY use it. I have a cultivator frame with a pile of sweeps and a pair of hillers I'll be using next year. The garden is a bit small and not set up for cultivation this year.
  • Alc said thank you

#17 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,454 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 05:59 AM

I'd like to be able to make some beds for the melons next year , I did one row this year about 100' , tried using a PK and disc but ended up just tilling it and using a rake to make the bed , about 18" across the top and 36" wide so I could lay plastic down . Do you guys think the walkbehind would be able to make them ? I'm pretty sure I have some kind of funny looking sweeps , maybe used for hilling , for the Tri-Trac that might be able to clamp on the DB cultivator frame .

#18 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 09:51 PM

I will see if I can get some pics of the hiller i rigged up for my tractors.

The sweeps that i had before the hiller looked like a single sided mouldboard "kinda". I used two on a tool bar facing each other and they would pull the dirt up into a hill.
  • Alc said thank you

#19 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 10:20 PM

Somewhere and I don;t remember where. I saw where a guy had taken an old garden tractor axle.
Put disc blades on the spindles with the cups facing in. Then conected the tie rods together with a turnbuckle so he could adjust the angle.
Something like that could be hooked to a 3 point, sleeve hitch or walking tractor?
  • Alc said thank you

#20 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,454 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 05:52 AM

Last night I used the 8" plow on the DB to dig potatoes , what a great way to dig them , the ground was like a rock and worked great anyway .Didn't know how to set it correctly for plowing only took 2 passes and tried a area that was weedy . Was a workout because the ground was so dry too. I'm thinking one that's more like a middle buster would be even better . Anyone have a " special attachment " for digging potatoes ?

#21 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,723 Thanks
  • 4,283 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 07:24 AM

Al, there is such a thing as a potato plow. It's like a middle buster with rods up from the top to seperate the dirt out of the potatoes. If nobody else comes up with a picture, I'll try to get you one.
  • Alc said thank you

#22 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,454 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 07:40 AM

Doug it might be like something I saw on CL , it was a horse drawn thing ,looked like amiddle buster but had these wing things going back pretty far . Wonder if I added rods to a middle buster , I do have a furror maker for a Troy tiller but I don't think it would have dug into the hard soil like I had last night . Now you have me thinking :lol: Al

#23 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,723 Thanks
  • 4,283 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 10:07 AM

I'll bet it was a potatoe plow. They also made a horsedrawn thing with a conveyor for digging taters. I'll try to remember to get you a picture of the thing I've got. I've always wondered if it was a factory piece or just a middlebuster that someone welded rods to. It's nothing fancy, just lets the dirt fall through before the taters fall off.

#24 earthgrinder ONLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 450
  • 834 Thanks
  • 358 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 01:34 PM

Here is a potato digger attachment for the Frazer Rototiller.

Attached Thumbnails

• RotoPotatoeDigger.JPG

• Alc said thank you

#25 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,454 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 05:12 PM

That Frazer potato digger looks like something I could make and adapt for the DB . I wonder if those rods sticking out the back are hardened or some kind of good grade of steel ? Al

#26 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,723 Thanks
  • 4,283 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 07:22 AM

Here are a couple pictures of the one I have. Looks like they clamped the rod part on the shank. When I got this tractor, the previous owner said he used this to dig up his potatoes. I think it would work better with the rods being more horizontal. Can't say that I've ever tried it.

DSC01157.JPG DSC01158.JPG
  • Alc said thank you

#27 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,454 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 07:44 AM

Posted ImagePosted Image

Here's a plow I have no use for and the row marker someone made up , might be able to come up with some kind of potato digger by taking off the moldboard and putting a middlebuster type with some rods , Al

#28 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 09:37 AM

Posted ImagePosted Image

Here's a plow I have no use for and the row marker someone made up , might be able to come up with some kind of potato digger by taking off the moldboard and putting a middlebuster type with some rods , Al

I'm sure you could Al!! We have talked about regional terminology applied to implements. And it is obvious that Middle Buster and Potato Plow are both used commonly for the same impliment. I do like the idea of putting rods on the back to sift out the dirt and leave the potatoes on the surface. I wonder if one could arrange the rods so the heavier potatoes would roll to the middle and lay them out in a neat row that would be easier to pick up? Even when I dig potatoes with the fork I have to sift through the soil to see if I have buried any turning The plants over. I love to grow potatoes, but when it get's into the 90's I want an easier way to dig them.
I have a 50 ft row that the vines have died on and have to be dug before Saturday, so the wife can take some in to her Sister in Des Moines. That will be a forkin job?

Edited by JD DANNELS, July 12, 2012 - 09:40 AM.

#29 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 12:43 PM

I think I have a amiddle buster from something else that you can have. It attaches to a tool bar like the sears 3pt tool bars.
  • Alc said thank you

#30 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,454 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted July 13, 2012 - 10:28 AM

Thanks for the offer ,wish you where closer . I'll try to find something either what I have on hand like a sweep for a never finished project or at tractor show , going to one tomorrow just can't remember if they had a flea market area there or not . Then next weekend is a nice size local show , , Al
http://jacktown.org/