Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,445 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted June 19, 2012 - 05:55 AM

Now that I have a walk behind I plan on using the sickle bar , I want to try making a furror/hiller , I would like to try the culiltvator but not sure the corrrect way to set that up so and suggestions would be great . I like Howards sifter , I have some parts to make one of those . But was wondering what you all use yours for and your set-ups ? Thanks Al

#2 Lauber1 ONLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted June 19, 2012 - 12:34 PM

Well any thing i want mostly. Some are great for smashing mole hills, others for pulling a roller around. I cultivate with a DB, and show off with any number of other tractors.

not sure why you having trouble setting up a vator, as its one of the easiest tools to use. You have to first decide if your going between the rows or over the top of them. After that its just a matter of setting the sweeps to what pattern you need. Not sure what unit you have to work with but all of them are adjustable to a wide varity of spacings and row widths. Why dont we start a vator thread this week and get some pictures going and see where that takes us.
  • MH81 and Alc have said thanks

#3 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted June 19, 2012 - 04:48 PM

I second a culivator how to thread. There are so many choices between sweeps and points and how deep you need to be etc...

I have a gravley L8, little different than the DBs, and use it for brush hogging mostly. I tried the rotory plow and like what it does to the soil but I and up with un even ground and huge hills of dirt.

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,445 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted June 19, 2012 - 09:16 PM

Went out to see what could be cultivated in my garden because I made wide rows in most of it . The cereal rye didn't work out as good in some areas between the rows so that's going to need some work done to it . The dirt is packed down pretty good will I still be able to try cultivate it or will it need to be tilled first ? Al

#5 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted June 20, 2012 - 07:00 PM

I use mine mostly as a sickle bar mower, but it also sees occasional service with the roto-tiller. Since the tiller is narrow (about a foot), it's handy for working between rows etc.
  • Alc said thank you

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,228 Thanks
  • 28,593 posts

Posted June 20, 2012 - 10:49 PM

Mine came with the front blade on it and the cultivator + reel mower besides. I've used the cultivator in the past, put in my driveway and spread the gravel with the dozer.

#7 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted June 20, 2012 - 10:59 PM

I second a culivator how to thread. There are so many choices between sweeps and points and how deep you need to be etc...

I have a gravley L8, little different than the DBs, and use it for brush hogging mostly. I tried the rotory plow and like what it does to the soil but I and up with un even ground and huge hills of dirt.

It shouldn't be doing that. A gravely rotary plow adjusted and running properly will leave a fairly level pulverized bed ready to plant seeds in. Let me know if you ever want to try get together and see if I can find any reason why it isn't working that way.
  • coldone said thank you

#8 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted June 21, 2012 - 05:45 AM

We will have to get together and play in the dirt sometime. I am pretty sure its an "IOF" problem

IOF= Idiot out front :D

#9 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,445 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted June 21, 2012 - 05:57 AM

Is the Gravely rotory plow kind of like a rotor tiller but with bigger tines ? Al

#10 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted June 21, 2012 - 05:59 AM

Go here for a demo:

• coldone and Alc have said thanks

#11 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 21, 2012 - 12:40 PM

I'm beginning to believe that the biggest limitation to a walking tractor is our imagination.
I spend a lot of time on the net looking for ways of doing different tasks in the garden and am amazed at some of the things done with walking tractors in Europe. Just yesterday I was looking at potato diggers and became facinated with both commercial and shop built diggers used overseas. You Tube has a lot of video's that are very interesting.

#12 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted June 21, 2012 - 07:58 PM

thanks, thats the best plowing tutorial i have ever seen. Too deep and no dirt shield explains why i am having problems.

#13 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted June 21, 2012 - 11:34 PM

I'm beginning to believe that the biggest limitation to a walking tractor is our imagination.
I spend a lot of time on the net looking for ways of doing different tasks in the garden and am amazed at some of the things done with walking tractors in Europe. Just yesterday I was looking at potato diggers and became facinated with both commercial and shop built diggers used overseas. You Tube has a lot of video's that are very interesting.

:thumbs: ditto

#14 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,445 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted June 22, 2012 - 06:00 AM

If anyone finds some good You Tube that might be of intrust please post it , It might make this a good thread to pin , Al

#15 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 22, 2012 - 09:10 AM

If anyone finds some good You Tube that might be of intrust please post it , It might make this a good thread to pin , Al

Ok to get this started, since I really enjoy growing potatoes, here are a few of how it's done in Northern Europe with walking tractors
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEah1qXdMN8&feature=related
I’m not impressed with the potatoe production in this one. but see the digger as innovative

And here is a planter and Digger and how they are built What I don't see in the video is how they are timing the seed drop? From others I have seen they usually have a shutter at the bottom of the drop tube.
It could either be a Cam actuator off the ground driven wheel paddles or could be driven by the carrier chain?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Flyabgu_-EA&feature=related
This one production is better
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmGqa3oEUcA&feature=related
And here is a good shot of how they work and could be easily built and adaped to one of the american built classics.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raUGJ9FzSRk&feature=related

Edited by JD DANNELS, June 22, 2012 - 12:21 PM.

• Alc, HowardsMF155 and js5020 have said thanks