• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 18, 2012 - 09:22 AM

On my '75 it has four positions on the control lever.

up-stay-down-float

It should click into the float position and stay there. I have been doing a lot of york raking lately and noticed the float is not working. It does not click into the float position and if you hold it there it does not move the implement, it just makes that squealing noise like when you get to the end of the cylinder travel. Could the valve just be dirty inside? What else could be the problem?

#2 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted June 18, 2012 - 09:39 AM

I had an issue like that with mine. PO had hyd. lines reversed so up move the arms down and down move the arms up. Thus float was in the up position. Lever should move forward to lift and rearward to lower. Moving lever rearward will lower lift and return to neutral. Moving the lever all the way rearward the detent will hold the lever there and it is in the float position.

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted June 18, 2012 - 10:32 AM

Ryan if the it worked before and not what Ducky was explaining , you might find the detent , balls springs , dirty in the end cap , if yours is like mine you can remove it with opening the hyd. system , it was held on with 2 screws at the end of the spool . Mine was very hard to go into float the first couple of times I used it but it's better , didn't have to clean the spool , got lucky I guess , Al

#4 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 18, 2012 - 11:59 AM

Thanks guys. Mine used to work perfectly fine. It would stay on its own too. It sounds like I have to take the spool apart, unless somebody comes along with a better idea. I don't know when I will be able to do it, I am going to have to wait until I know the tractor will have some down time.

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted June 18, 2012 - 09:24 PM

Ryan if your valve looks like this you should be able to take the detent for the valve apart with it still on the tractor. On the end of the spool there are 2 hex caps with a spring and small ball underneath , carefully remove them , then the 2 phillips screws and remove the cap .The centering spring will be there .With any luck a good cleaning and reassembling with some lube is all your going to need , Al

Attached Thumbnails

• P6180692.JPG
  • P6180693.JPG

#6 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 18, 2012 - 09:39 PM

Ryan, mine on my MF 1855 did the same thing. The spring & detent was all screwed up in the end cap like ALC explained. I cleaned it up & got aall back in correct places & it works fine now.

#7 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 18, 2012 - 09:41 PM

Yes, that's what mine looks like. Will I be blessed to take it off without hydraulic fluid coming out of the back?

#8 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted June 18, 2012 - 09:56 PM

They shouldn't be fluid BUT if the spool seal is weeping there might be ,try not to move the handle or the spool or you will loose fluid . On some valves there will be a little weep hole in the cap so if it did it wouldn't hydraulic lock ( that's my theory ) Al

#9 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted June 19, 2012 - 05:41 AM

Should also have said to relive any pressure in the valve by moving the control back and forth with the engine off before working on it . Also you can move the spool when you have the cap off but not further the it normely goes , might leak some fluid , Al

#10 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 19, 2012 - 08:05 AM

Ok, thanks Al. If I happen to loose a little fluid thats not a big deal. I just didn't want it to come pouting out! LOL! I will take it off and see if I can get it working soon.

#11 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 19, 2012 - 11:21 AM

I took off the cover. The inside was clean but I noticed a slot on the end of the rod for a screwdriver, it turns out you can adjust it. I figured it was out of adjustment. I played with it for over an hour but I only went backwards. I put it back were it was and just put the cover back on.

This is what it looks like with the cover off.
Posted Image

The long detent is for the up, down and stay positions. The small one is for the float.
Posted Image

#12 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted June 19, 2012 - 02:04 PM

Ryan was the cover filled up with and junk ? Where the springs and balls free ? Al

#13 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted June 19, 2012 - 02:24 PM

Ryan you got me thinking , I don't think that's an adjusting screw just a slot to tighten that detent on to the spool . Try tightening but be careful it's a small thread , Al

#14 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 19, 2012 - 02:25 PM

Ryan was the cover filled up with and junk ? Where the springs and balls free ? Al

No, the cover was clean. And the springs and balls moved like they should have. When I was adjusting it I had to keep putting it back together to see if it worked. I got the float to work, but then the down was not there and the up only worked in certain positions, if you moved it to far or not far enough it would squeel.

#15 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 19, 2012 - 02:26 PM

Ryan you got me thinking , I don't think that's an adjusting screw just a slot to tighten that detent on to the spool . Try tightening but be careful it's a small thread , Al

When I first stared it was all the way tightened. When I finished thats the way I put it back.