Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Powder Coating - Anybody Tried Doing It With One Of The Kits?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted June 17, 2012 - 10:30 AM

Thinking about getting a powder coating setup. I paint (as in well, auto paint) all my own stuff now. But I was thinking that on a lot of the GT pieces, the durability and toughness of powdercoating might be a better deal. I have had some (motorcycle) stuff sent out and done before, and love the scratch resistance of the powdercoat - and also the "deep" look of the finish.

I know Harbor Freight sells a cheap setup ($75?) and I have a 20% coupon.... Anybody ever used one of these?
Posted Image

I was also looking (more likely to go for this style of setup) at the dual voltage "Starter sets" at Eastwoods
Posted Image
More money ($200 :confuse: ) but I only have to buy the gun once if it is a good one....

I have an old kitchen oven to mount in the shop (and power to run it), and most of the parts for a GT would fit in there to cook the paint...

Just wondering if anybody has ben down this road and can share their experiences....

Oh, and HAPPY FATHER's Day out there to all you dads!!!!!

#2 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9589
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted June 17, 2012 - 01:17 PM

i looked at a few powder coating systems a few years ago but didnt really have a place to do anything. i have room in the garage and may look into it again and see what i can do.

#3 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 17, 2012 - 04:54 PM

I bought one of the HF kits for my son a few years back, but he & I have never tried it. I have some paint powder too.