#1 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted June 17, 2012 - 09:45 AM

Need best / worst case help with what seems to be bad drive or data on it. I'm not that great with computers but here's the thing; 90% of the time I'm working from a laptop, (HP running Windows 7 XP)
attached by usb is 500Gb 'store all' which now seems to be going down and I can't seem to access it or the mutiple files, pics, pdfs,etc., The message I got was "Drive needs to be formatted to use.." and then
"error cyclic redundancy check" . Either of these leaves me clueless as I figure if I should attempt to format a drive I've been using pretty much problem free for a couple of years now, I may actually be erasing allllll my stuff. Before it got to this phase (last night) I had started to notice little signs like taking longer to open folders and some pics which had been fine prior were now stalling to open or not being read like they were somehow damaged...I don't know where to go from here :wallbanging: :help:

#2 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted June 17, 2012 - 09:59 AM

Definitely sounds like she is dying. I would attempt to copy everything you can off that drive before things get worse. This may save some of the data on that drive.
If that is not possible anymore get back to us.
  • Newpaws493 said thank you

#3 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted June 17, 2012 - 01:03 PM

Thanks duck, but how does copy process go? At this point I can't even tell how much data is stored on unit,nor have on hand unit to transfer all to...I'll keep you posted, was thinking there might be a way to undue damage,..maybe? :confuse:

#4 ncb OFFLINE  

ncb
  • Member No: 3755
  • 51 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted June 17, 2012 - 01:13 PM

that sounds a whole lot like virus activity.more often than not when a hard drive goes south its a complete failure.and if i understand it correctly formatting will wipe everything out.

Edited by rexknightly, June 17, 2012 - 01:14 PM.

#5 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted June 17, 2012 - 02:56 PM

that sounds a whole lot like virus activity.more often than not when a hard drive goes south its a complete failure.and if i understand it correctly formatting will wipe everything out.

Thanks Rex...Hope Everyone's enjoyin Dad'day!!

#6 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted June 17, 2012 - 09:36 PM

Yes, the request to reformat may be a virus but let's try a few other things before that. Do you need any of the file on that drive or can you live without them? If so just junk the drive and get a new one.
As far as copy to a different drive it should just be a Copy-Paste operation to a new drive.
If your drive is to far south you may have lost your data already.

#7 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted June 18, 2012 - 06:26 AM

I thought many files on drive are/were important, gonna see about getting new one this week. None too pleased about losing the files,
will set it aside for now. Thanks

#8 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted June 18, 2012 - 09:16 AM

Ducky is right it sounds like the drive is headed this way, south! There is a possibility you have picked up malware but I'm skeptical since it is not affecting your internal drive. There are a couple of Linux Distro's that may be able to mount the drive and get the data off of it. System rescue comes to mine off the bat. Here is the link http://www.sysresccd...scueCd_Homepage.

The last thing you want to do right now is format that disk because if you do all your data will be gone forever. If you do think it might be malware then install a program like spybot and run a scan. What security suite do you use?
  • ducky and Newpaws493 have said thanks

#9 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted June 18, 2012 - 09:22 AM

You are correct that formatting will wipe out everything on the disk. But an HD can go out very slowly and not with a complete failure. I have seen them where only one or a few files could not be accessed and then I just had an external that suddenly could not be accessed but it still spun. It's electronics so anything is possible. :)
  • ncb and Newpaws493 have said thanks

#10 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted June 18, 2012 - 09:30 AM

Bill hit it on the head system rescue will allow you to attempt to copy the drive if it can be done.
Hope you get your data back. Let us know.

Regards............Ducky

#11 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted June 18, 2012 - 11:01 AM

Ducky is right it sounds like the drive is headed this way, south! There is a possibility you have picked up malware but I'm skeptical since it is not affecting your internal drive. There are a couple of Linux Distro's that may be able to mount the drive and get the data off of it. System rescue comes to mine off the bat. Here is the link http://www.sysresccd...scueCd_Homepage.

The last thing you want to do right now is format that disk because if you do all your data will be gone forever. If you do think it might be malware then install a program like spybot and run a scan. What security suite do you use?

Thanks for the support guys, I'm running norton, before 1st attempt to rescue, I'm really looking for anything weird that may appear on laptop w/out drive attached. Did look @ mgmt log and saw multiple drive errors going back to 5/12. I figure these were early signs of doom for the exHdd. So won't attempt salvage of drive till replacement is here..

#12 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted June 18, 2012 - 11:55 AM

It sounds like the drive was beginning to fail back early last month. I hope you will be able to recover your data. Always good to have a back up, that being said I'm about as bad as everyone else in backing up my data.

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 06:56 PM

Is there any way to use command prompt to work thru the files? maybe copy to another drive thru it?

#14 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 07:03 PM

Is there any way to use command prompt to work thru the files? maybe copy to another drive thru it?

Not sure, Thanks., (perhaps you could dumb that down a bit for me) & I've yet to bring in a sizeable drive to accept the files. Haven't touched unit since last post...

#15 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted June 28, 2012 - 09:57 AM

If the OS can't mount the drive then command prompt is useless. If there is any hope of getting any files off that drive it would be through a recovery system such as System Rescue although you can send it off and have the files recovered but it will cost ya $$$.

I lost an external drive around the first of the year. It was still under warranty so I put in a claim and sent it back. They offered to do a recovery of the files one for starting at about $200.
  • MH81 said thank you