• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 16, 2012 - 08:03 PM

I want to change the oil in the transmission of my Troy Bilt Jr tiller. The manual calls for 90 or 140 wt oil with 140 being the factory fill. It specifically says not to use multi grade oil. So far I have only been able to find 85w90 and 85w140 gear oils and not the single grade oil. Is the 140 still available. This machine is 25 years old and hadn't been used for a long time. I imagine it has the factory oil in it and it should be changed before I use it. Is there that much difference between straight 90w and the multigrades I am seeing?

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 16, 2012 - 08:33 PM

Oils have come a long way since that machine was built & manual printed 25 years ago. I cannot imagine modern 85/140 oil not being just fine in it.
  • JDBrian said thank you

#3 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted June 16, 2012 - 09:04 PM

This is one of those areas were you will find the old diehards that will use NOTHING but 90W GL1. These tillers have a bronze gear in the back for the tiller drive, at the time these were built GL1 was very common, but it has since been discontinued, GL1 has very few additives in it. You really need to run an oil with a High Pressure additive to help protect the 2 worm gears in it. They don't recommend GL5 gear oil in these because it can be hard on yellow metals. After a lot of research, I have found that GL5 will only harm yellow metals when the temp gets over 300*. This tiller will never see that high a temp, also this tiller will probably not see more a hours use all year. I was a member of the Troy-Bilt Tiller group, and got in an on-line fight over the use of any other oil other than GL1 oil. I posted all the information on this and was bad mouthed and all the info I posted was ignored. The manual for this was written over 25 years ago, before any of the new oils were created. I run 85W-140 GL4/GL5 in mine. I'm not going to special order GL1 for mine.
  • olcowhand, JDBrian, Toolpartzman and 1 other said thanks

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 17, 2012 - 05:48 AM

Amigatec, thanks for that informative post! I'll just pick up the commonly available 85w-140 and go with that. There will always be some folks who will ignore or mistrust scientific data and advances in technology.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gear oil, troy-bilt jr