Garden Tractor Forums banner

Roper?

15K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  bowtiebutler956 
#1 ·
Hello guys, I'm not new to GT's, but I know nothing about Roper. I have a Wheel Horse B-80, and a Bantam 3000, and I'm looking to expand. I found this for sale locally, and I thought I would ask some folks more knowledgable than myself if it was a good deal or not?

Matt

Roper Garden Tractor 16t by Sears - $400 (San Benito)

Date: 2012-06-14, 7:11PM CDT
Reply to: grndm-3078497310@sale.craigslist.org [sup][Errors when replying to ads?][/sup]

For sale is a 1978-1979 Roper 16t Garden Tractor by Sears. It has a 16hp Briggs and Stratton Engine. Included is a manual category 0 3 point lift which is not complete. Transmission has a high and low range. It turns on with no problems and cuts grass as well. Tractor is not perfect and will need alittle attention. Belts may need to be replaced. Caruburetor may need to be adjusted. One rear tire as well as one front tire leak air. If you know anything about old garden tractors these are becoming hard to find. No trades. For information please call (956) 241-2813.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Its just a sears. I think roper was a co-founder? I am not really sure and I don't know much about them either. Somebody will be here shortly to tell you what that tractor is worth! It also says that it has a category 0 3pt. I think that the sears tractors would only work with 3pt implements made by sears and are not universal. I could be wrong on that too though.

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have a Sears Suburban GT-18 that is basicly the same tractor, and I am very pleased with it. as it does what I ask of it. I had a 12hp new back in the 70's and used it to plow the garden and push snow and everything in between. Mine mows nice also_One of the best manual tractors out there, I think.

Attachments

#6 ·
It looks well cared for. I would go talk to the seller and see if a deal could be made!

Reactions: bowtiebutler956
#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Sears doesn't build its own machines--Roper built them for Sears with Sears labeling until AYP took over building Sears garden tractors. IMHO the new Sears/Craftsman tractors aren't near as durable as the older ones.

I have the same tractor, but with an 18 hp Onan. They're good tractors and will do a lot of work. I didn't notice if it was the six speed model, which has the 3 speed transaxle and the Hi-Low gear which is shifted where you right foot sits on the floor board.

Although the Onans are good engines, I think you have a better deal with the Briggs as parts are easier to find (and cheaper).

Does it have any implements? The manual or electric 3 point hitch is still available--the manual ones cost about $100.

If it had some implements, $400 is a pretty good price. If not, determine what you want it for. If you want to mow with it, and no deck is available you may have a hard time finding one. If you want to push snow, plow, pull a cart, etc. its not so bad as you can find or modify these attachments fairly easy.

BTW, that "gauge" on the lower left corner of the dashboard is the hour meter. It actually worked on both of the Sears tractors I've been involved with. You might ask the owner to take a good picture of it or try to determine the hours... It works kind of like a standard clock. with several hands that bread up the hours and minutes.

MTBW,

U.S.

#8 ·
Well, if I'd paid more attention, I would have seen the mower deck. You have most of the manual 3 pt hitch--you can often find them on EBay, or just fabricate the parts yourself. I think there's a manual for one on the Manuals section here in GT Talk.

Also, I noticed that it has the Hi-Lo knob on the right side, so this is the 6 speed version.

If it hasn't been abused, it's a good machine. The transaxle takes 5 quarts of 30 weight oil. They're cast iron and pretty durable.

If you can make a deal--great, but, again assuming it's in reasonable shape, I would pay $400 for it if he won't come down.

Regards,

#9 ·
If it's close to where you are, go look. Carb parts are available, so are engine parts. Look for pinholes in the deck, especially under the covers and around the welds for the deflector. Also look to see if any of the tranny bolts are loose or missing. I have one on my SS12 that is snapped off. It's on my to do list.

Normal wear places like steering are of interest to the purchaser and listen for bushing noise or bendix issues when starting. The starters are around, but no longer "cheap". Look for signs of oil at the axels, usually a sign of water in there and it's over full.

Looks like a great unit. Drain the tranny oil when you get it home, most never get it done and have lots of water in them.

Good luck.

#10 ·
That machine is a 1978-1980. It is the Roper equivalent to the Sears GT/16 Twin. The 3 speed hi/lo was the only geared trans put in it, the only alternative was the Peerless hydrostatic drive system. The 3pt is far from complete, and finding the lift arms and links, and center link can often be harder than finding the plate. $400 is a pretty accurate price.

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
That is a well built garden tractor. You can find the lift arms and the top link for the 3-point on ebay for less than a hundred bucks, if you want it. It is manual lift, but not too hard to work. My last Sears/Roper garden tractor was a GT18 with a manual 3-point on it, I used it to plow and cultivate my garden and had no problems. I still have a sears 3-point plow in the shed that I don't use anymore, but that's because I have a sleeve hitch brinly plow for my case 446 now.
I only had Tecumseh motors or Onan motors on the 4 Sears/Roper tractors I used to own, I never had any experience with the Briggs on a Sears tractor. I have a 16hp opposed twin Briggs on my Bolens 1600 Eliminator that works great, so I would figure if it is taken good care of that motor on that tractor should be fine.
I hope you get it. You will like that workhorse of a tractor.

p.s. If this site does not have the manual for it (you can find the one for your tractor with the tractor serial number), you can go to the website www.stripmine.org/sears and find a manual for it. They have Roper manuals too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.