• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 oldmanskipper OFFLINE  

oldmanskipper
  • Member No: 10188
  • 9 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted June 15, 2012 - 10:32 PM

Hi! I'm baaaak. Queston-How many positions should the shift lever have on the transmission. Not running I seem to have two with the pressure holding the lever down. I can pull up on it and it will spring back down. Seems to me that it should stay in the possition i put it in. Maybe something inside is stuck. Also how does reverse work on this trans. DO you think that I should venture inside and investegate the problem? I would like to replace the seals if I can find yhem anyway. I have a teardown manual for the "112' which is suppossed top be the same. If any of you have manuals for the "575" I would gladly pay you for copys. Thanks, SKIP

#2 Lauber1 ONLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted June 16, 2012 - 12:35 AM

Hello Skip, welcome to the group. Not sure which lever your shifting, as there are not shiftable gearing in any DB tractor. If it the clutch handle then its either in or out of gear, if its the varispeed then the engine has to be running to move it properly, if its a diff lock its either in or out of gear.

The reverse is not really a reverse. its an over riding system that work by turn the gear case shaft backwards from the out side. Mostly you release your main clutch handle and then push the reverser knob down, and the tractor does the rest if you have all the parts on the hubs. You let go of the knob and the spring should push the rod back towards you and stop the motion.

A 112 is supposed to be like a 121, but i was thinkling a 575 is like a 135 which is a completely differnt type diff.

#3 oldmanskipper OFFLINE  

oldmanskipper
  • Member No: 10188
  • 9 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted June 16, 2012 - 11:46 AM

The 112 had the first locking diff., reverse, speed changer and a 5.5hp wisc. engine, no hood and a red and green paint job. The 575 was the same except for a 6hp briggs engine and the gold and blue paint. No locking hubs on either one. I thought there would be a neutral position in the diff. Right now with no engine if I turn the pully with my hand the tractor will move. So if the engine where running and I engaged the cluch the diff. would automatically be in gear. What I was calling the shift lever would be the diff. locking lever. It doesn't seen to make a difference as to what possition this lever is in, either up or down, in the reaction of the tractor when I turn the pully. The man I bought it from said that he had two speeds. Very slow or run to keep up. With the speed changer missing I can understand why but I don,t know about the two speed part. An operators manual would help me alot I'm sure to understand what to expect. maybe I'll find one soon. Don't give up om me yet!!

#4 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted June 16, 2012 - 12:25 PM

What is the full model number on this DB?? It should be 917.575xxx. I need the last 3 numbers to see if I have it.

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,456 Thanks
  • 6,624 posts

Posted June 17, 2012 - 08:52 PM

I'm very new to the DB walk behinds and maybe I'm not understanding your problem but if the clutch ( drive ) rod isn't pulled towards the handle bars the clutch will be locked in and when you try turning the pulley the axle will turn , but I guess something else could be jammed too Al

#6 Lauber1 ONLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted June 17, 2012 - 11:00 PM

yes theres some clouds in figuring this out. There are no DB tractors built with any two speed or shiftable trannys. Your diff lock might be stuck as this does happen once in a while. If we had the tractor number we could direct you to a manual in abouut 10 seconds. If its got a 5.75 engine and is blue and bronze the n its got to be a 135 or up tractor.