• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 TimHky86 OFFLINE  

TimHky86
  • Member No: 10215
  • 2 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted June 15, 2012 - 10:17 PM

Ok hey guys i just joined and i badly need some help. My dad has had this old bush hog garden tractor for as long as i can remember and i finally decided to bring it home and restore it and use it for my small garden. I have all the factory parts except the carb. but my problem is that the tag has been removed so i dont have model number or anything so im not sure if its a d4-10 or 12 or year also i dont know were i can find parts when i go to needing them any information would be great thank yall in advance

#2 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted June 15, 2012 - 11:06 PM

Tim do you happen to have any pictures? We have a bunch of great Bush Hog people on here, but I know pictures will be the best way to figure out what you have.

Good luck with it! They are great GT's!
  • TimHky86 said thank you

#3 TimHky86 OFFLINE  

TimHky86
  • 2 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted June 15, 2012 - 11:09 PM

No i dont have any pics right now but i will try to get some good detailed pics for yall im almost positive its a d4-10 just by looking at some of the pics but thank you and the pics will come asap

#4 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted June 15, 2012 - 11:15 PM

I just saw your in Kentucky, One of our top Bush hog guys lives there. (olcowhand)

Have you looked at Ebay for parts yet? I did see a Motor for sale for one of these this week. The carbs come up form time to time to.

That is a Wisconsin engine right? (S7D or something like that) with a Zenith carb.

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,685 posts

Posted June 16, 2012 - 05:46 AM

Welcome to the forum! Some pics would be very good at getting this figured out. Besides Daniel, there are a couple others that can help figure things out and possibly a lead for parts!

#6 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted June 16, 2012 - 06:36 AM

Welcome to the forum! Always glad to have another bush hog guy here!! Like they have said a few pictures would help alot. If it is a D4-10 it will have either a tecumseh or wisconsin in it. We need to know which one.....a model number and serial number on the engine would help. What you will find out quickly.....daniel and some of the others have a keen eye and will notice things many times I/you will miss.

I have several parts bush hogs so there is a chance I may be able to help once we have all the info.

The good news is you have come to the right place. With our members help, you will have it back up and running in no time!

The D4-7 and D4-10 have the same body parts so keep that in mind. The D4-10 is more common so you are probably right that is a D4-10 but we need to confirm it so we can point you in the right direction.

Looking forward to having you on board!

#7 TimHky86 OFFLINE  

TimHky86
  • 2 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted June 16, 2012 - 09:11 AM

thanks everyone yes i live in owensboro kentucky about 40 miles or so south east of evansville ind. and ive looked but not very hard for any numbers on the engine with no luck but as soon as i get back home i will take the pics and find yall some numbers again thank yall for all the help

#8 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted June 16, 2012 - 09:26 AM

You live very close to Bob Simmons who has several Bush Hogs & tons of literature. He lives around Lewisport, Ky.
Get us some pics, some close of the engine, and other areas so we can ID it. The ID plate should be on the lower right of the dash panel, or if it's a JB series, the tag is behind the engine, on the front left of the dash tower box. But you likely found the holes where the original ID tag was, so no matter.
You're just a couple hours from me, at Hodgenville, Ky.

So it is a direct drive with a bell housing type clutch, and 2 speed rear with 2 speed forward tranny?

#9 TimHky86 OFFLINE  

TimHky86
  • 2 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted June 16, 2012 - 09:48 AM

yes sir it is direct drive with a bell housing type clutch, and 2 speed rear with 2 speed forward tranny and i did just find holes were the id plate was lol but i work in lewisport and im from hancock county so i know the area but i do know hodgenville but im not familiar with your area but it is great that i have all the help from the forum and from some people close by i have ran to a few places trying to find out some info and i found out very little from them but thankfully i found yall

#10 TimHky86 OFFLINE  

TimHky86
  • 2 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted June 16, 2012 - 09:54 AM

the only thing i hate is my dad had two of these but the other one was belt driven not direct drive but i used it to clear off our churchs parking lot for years it had a belly plow and one on the rear and it ran great but when we moved he gave it to one of his friends so they could still use it for the church but now its gone he gave it away to someone else but atleast i still have this one

#11 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted June 16, 2012 - 03:57 PM

Tghe one he gave away was a "V" series then, with a std trans and a variable pulley to fine tune speed. It's a shame it got away.
All we need to do is ID the engine to dial in the model. Can you get us some close pics of various angles on the engine? For one thing, if it's a Wisconsin, and the cylinders bolt to the block, then it's definitely a D4-12.

#12 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,289 Thanks
  • 28,622 posts

Posted June 26, 2012 - 06:29 PM

Just wondering if you were able to narrow this down? Any pictures yet?
:bump:

#13 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 26, 2012 - 06:44 PM

Thanks Alan, I forgot about this thread and am wondering what has happened to the Bush Hog.. :confuse: