Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Vote Now For Featured Tractor Of The Month For July 2012

featured tractor voting

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
48 replies to this topic

Poll: Vote Now for Featured Tractor of the Month for July 2012 (114 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote Now for Featured Tractor of the Month for July 2012

1. Bolens Estate Keeper - Bolens 1000 (9 votes [7.89%])

Percentage of vote: 7.89%

2. Unico 15 - olcowhand (11 votes [9.65%])

Percentage of vote: 9.65%

3. Bush Hog HD-12 - york0060 (5 votes [4.39%])

Percentage of vote: 4.39%

4. Wheel Horse 1045 - Wheel Horse Kid (6 votes [5.26%])

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

5. Cub Cadet Original - jdslednut (27 votes [23.68%])

Percentage of vote: 23.68%

6. Simplicity 725 - bud119195 (18 votes [15.79%])

Percentage of vote: 15.79%

7. Standard - bowtiebutler956 (35 votes [30.70%])

Percentage of vote: 30.70%

8. Cub Cadet 122 - supernational (3 votes [2.63%])

Percentage of vote: 2.63%

Vote

#1 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 03, 2012 - 07:47 PM

Voting for GTtalk Featured Tractor of the Month for the month of July 2012 has now officially started and will end the last day of June. This month was to originally be themed "Lawn Motoring" but we decided to have it as another open month.

The winner will be featured on the GTtalk Home Page for the entire month of May and in our Featured Tractor Section for infinity. Our featured tractor winners are also printed in the Lawn and Garden Tractor / LAGT magazine so if you are not a subscriber you are missing out.

We have 8 nominations this month, I have put them in the order the poll is so hopefully it makes it a little easier.
  • Bolens Estate Keeper EK10 - Bolens 1000
  • Unico 15 - olcowhand
  • Bush Hog HD-12 - york0060
  • Wheel Horse 1045 - Wheel Horse Kid
  • Cub Cadet Original - jdslednut
  • Simplicity 725 - bud119195
  • Standard - bowtiebutler956
  • Cub Cadet 122 - supernational
Before voting please be sure to check out all the entries in the posts below.

Please remember that the winning tractor cannot be nominated again for a full year. Thanks and good luck!

Edited by NUTNDUN, June 26, 2012 - 03:12 PM.
Getting the poll working again.

• Alleycat and maxedout have said thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted June 06, 2012 - 07:58 AM

Well, since no one has nominated anything yet I'm going to nominate my 1968 Bolens Estate Keeper (EK10)
I picked this tractor up just over a year ago from a guy right down the road from me. It came with a snow caster, mowing deck, rear weight and winter cab. Since I already had 2 EK10's I was mainly looking to just purchase the weight, cab and snow caster from the guy but he didn't want to break up the package so I had to buy the tractor as well. I really havent done much to the tractor since I purchased it except for change the oil, belts and filters. The only major repair I have done on it was weld the center pivot mechanism that broke. This seems to be the only weak link on these tractors as the other one I restored was broken in the same spot and I have heard from other people that they experienced breaks in the same spot.

Ever since I began collecting Bolens, I have always thought it would be neat to have one of these and after years of looking for one I managed to purchase one last year. About 2 months later I stumbled upon two more of them :D I now have every production run of the EK10 series 1967,1968,1969.
In my opinion these tractors were years ahead of their time and still do a better job at mowing and maneuvering around than the newer mowers you see today. I haven't even mounted a center mount deck on any of my regular riders this year as I now use the EK for my mowing duty :thumbs:

Attached Thumbnails

• ek10 007.JPG
  • ek10 008.JPG
  • 1 001.JPG
  • 1 002.JPG

• maxedout said thank you

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,646 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 07, 2012 - 08:29 AM

I was going to sit out, but I'll toss in my Unico 15 to get things going.
This is my "Unico 15", built by MTD circa 1972. One day my brother was telling me how his boss gave him an old garden tractor to get it out from under the pile of junk under an old tree. As he told me about it, a light bulb went odff in my head. He owed me some money, and tight as he is, I figured he could settle the debt for no cash. So I told him if he dropped the tractor off at my place, we'd be even. Next day he dropped the Unico off. Pretty rough! Steering frozen, engine a "no-runner", and pretty much everything in rusted, locked up shape. Being our local Southern States farm coop likely sold this very tractor to it's former owner, I decided to get deep into it & give her a restoration. The engine had to be rebuilt as well.
After about a year, I finally finished her. It came with a solid mower deck, which I haven't used, but it has been restored as well.
It's been in a local show 2 or 3 years, but otherwise resides in my storage shed, getting started & driven at least a couple times a year.

Uni2.jpg ini3.jpg DSC00040.jpg
  • markdombroski, Alleycat and maxedout have said thanks

#4 york0060 OFFLINE  

york0060

• Contributor
  • Member No: 748
  • 275 Thanks
  • 141 posts

Posted June 07, 2012 - 08:37 AM

I wll put my 1967 Bush Hog HD 12 in the mix. It was given to my dad several years ago by a friend from church, my dad didn't just want to take it so he gave him $65.00 for it. He had plans on restoring it, but after several years of setting in the garage, he asked if i wanted it. He knew i enjoyed working on and restoring large tractors.
After just a few weeks i had the tractor torn down and repainted and got the engine running. I didn't know much about the Bush Hog brand but thanks to Danial and his Bush Hog site, he had pointed out that i had a somewhat rare tractor on my hands. I felt very fortunate to have it. Its been fun taking it to shows around the area and talking to people about it. i can't tell you how many times i have heard the " i didn't evan know Bush Hog made tractors" come out of peoples mouth.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0716.JPG
  • Bush hog 1.jpg

Edited by york0060, June 07, 2012 - 08:46 AM.

#5 Wheel Horse Kid OFFLINE  

Wheel Horse Kid

Certified Wheel Horse Nut

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10019
  • 213 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted June 07, 2012 - 10:02 AM

Hello,

I am a new member to the forum and would like to nominate my 1965 Wheel Horse 1045 Modified Pulling Tractor for Featured Tractor of The Month.

Here is its story:

About 7 years ago, I was at a local tractor pull in my area. This was one of the first tractor pulls that I had ever been too. Well, I absolutely loved it! I told my family that I would really like to be involved in tractor pulling. At first, I wanted to pull farm tractors, but my family thought that a farm tractor was too much for an 9 year old kid. So we decided to get involved in garden tractor pulling. We did some research and found out that there was a local garden tractor pulling club in our area.

Next, I needed to get a garden tractor that I would be able to convert into a pulling tractor. My grandpa was nice enough to let me use one of his old Wheel Horse tractors that he had for a long time. It was a Wheel Horse 1045 tractor. Well, after my grandpa, my dad, and I worked on the puller for several months, the day finally came when it was ready for pulling.

Over the next 2 years, we went to different tractor pulls in the area with the puller and we always had a lot of fun together, even though we were never able to win our class. Well, my dad eventually got a different job and we were no longer able to pull.

The pulling tractor sat for several years in my grandpa’s shed after that and was never really used. Well, about 2 years ago, my grandpa gave me the pulling tractor! I was super excited to be able to call it mine and have it at my house!

One cool thing that I found out about it a year ago was that my pulling tractor was the tractor that my dad used to mow the grass and plow out the driveway when my dad and mom first built our house. This makes the tractor even more special to me!

I don’t use my pulling tractor for any hard work; I only take it out for drives every so often and I enjoy every minute of it! I also occasionally pull a cart around with it. Last fall, my pulling tractor went to it's first show and it was a really fun time for me and my family! My pulling tractor is my favorite tractor of the tractors that I have now and have had in the past. I will
never sell it under any circumstances!

Here is a before and after picture of my Wheel Horse 1045 Pulling Tractor:

WH1045-1.jpg

Wheel Horse 1045 Pulling Tractor After.jpg

Here are a couple pictures of me pulling with my Wheel Horse 1045 Pulling Tractor from several years ago (My dad is in the red shirt beside me):

Wheel Horse pulling 002.jpg

Wheel Horse pulling 004.jpg

Edited by Wheel Horse Kid, June 11, 2012 - 08:12 PM.

#6 jdslednut OFFLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted June 07, 2012 - 03:51 PM

Well, it's finally here. My Cub Cadet Original, some of you may remember this tractor affectionately referred to as the "Crud Cadet" and "Crudette" in a few previous postings. The first Ugly Tractor of the Month winner from November of 2010. I'm considering myself done with the reconditioning process and plan to add things such as the correct air cleaner, fenders, and grill when affordability reigns. Here is a portion of my write up from the previous ugly tractor contest.

I found this thing in the weeds in northern MN during a trip home from taking kids to FFA camp. There was a garage sale sign on the road so naturally I had to stop. There was nobody home but I spotted this thing sitting next to a worn out garage just visible under the native vegetation. At the time I didn't know much about Cubs so I went home, researched, and figured out it was an original and of course, I wanted it. I dreamed about it for a few days and remembered that my brother-in-law gets up that way for work once in awhile. I asked him if he'd be willing to stop in the place if he had some extra time. A couple of months later I got the phone call. "I'm here with the owner," he said. We negotiated a deal for $75 and gave the phone back to my brother-in-law. He quickly said, "I'll call you back." He called a few miles down the road stating that he was somewhat fearful for his life while at the place and how his experience there was quite odd. I asked if he got a name and phone number and you can guess what the answer was - no. He wouldn't go back but remembered a wood-cutting business across the road and got the number from the sign.
I got the nerve up to call the number the next day asking if they knew the number of the place across the road and he said, "Just a minute, I've got his brother right here." So we chatted a bit and his brother seemed quite fumed that he would sell the Cub at that price and it was left with me trying to think how I would get up there soon.
It would be a whole year before I would get there again. After asking a few forums if an Original would fit in the back of a Plymouth Voyager I was set to pick it up, if it still existed. I had my doubts. I had this to contemplate for months.
Of course, as luck would have it, I had a van full of kids going up to camp so I couldn't take any seats out. I was nervous and giddy all the way up. The kids had no idea what I was up to. I dropped them off and started my journey toward the "gem." IT WAS STILL THERE! However, nobody answered the door. I took a quick trip to another "yard" I sift through on my way back from camp and stopped in again. This time someone answered the door. I asked if he was the owner. He stated that he was in a local town, almost as though he may be incarcerated there - but his brother's across the road. I hopped in the van and made my way across the road to find his brother, introduced myself, and he went on to explain that someone a few weeks back had asked to buy the Cub but he told him that it was sold to another feller. If it was mine, I don't think I would have waited a year for the buyer to show up but here I was, and super grateful too. That in itself brings back some faith in the human spirit and a spoken agreement that Craig's List likes to rob from each of time and time again.
This gentleman was probably one of the nicest guys I have ever met while dealing with tractors and the like. He helped me finagle the seats in the van, gave me some plastic to put down, and helped me lift that heavy bugger right in with about an inch to spare. I almost couldn't stay on the road on the way home as I had my rearview pegged on that beautiful grill.
While in my driveway I probably had 5 or 6 people ask me if it was in a fire. It somewhat looks like it from a distance but if you look closely someone had a heyday with a brush and some gray paint, then probably 10 years later some red paint.

CCO Before.jpg

In hindsight, I should have just cut my losses and parted it out but then I wouldn't have a long, drawn out story like this to tell the grandkids right?

After a long process, some new treads, new and scavenged parts, I am happy with how it turned out. I had one of my students, who works part time in a body shop, help me out with the hood straightening but other than that, it's just a lot of sweat, crying, and money.

CC Original 010.jpg CC Original 013.jpg

CC Original 015.jpg CC Original 020.jpg

CC Original 016.jpg Sometimes you just can't find a correct gas cap. :orangecool:
  • antiquetractors, Alleycat and maxedout have said thanks

#7 bud119195 OFFLINE  

bud119195

• Member No: 730
  • 8 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted June 07, 2012 - 09:27 PM

I would like to have my Simplicty 725 entered this month. It started out looking like something that was ready for the scrap yard.But after 2 years I finally got it done.
I started by completely tearing it apart and sanding and stripping everything. Applied 2 coats of primer and 3 coats of paint,The motor is a 9 hp briggs that I found on craigslist real cheap,was cheaper to do that than overhaul what was in it since I didnt have origional motor anyways. Tractor has the rare Hi lo attachment also.Had some chrome decals made to duplicate the factory emblems also just to add a little extra to it.Found new white grips and I also replaced all tires and installed tubes so I shouldnt have to wory about a leak.All the nuts and bolts were replaced also on the whole tractor.
I ordered a replacement seat and the lady that made it did a awsome job,If anyone needs one let me know and I will get you her contact info.
All in all I think it turned out pretty decent

Attached Thumbnails

• 725 002a.JPG
  • 725 003a.JPG
  • progress 2a.JPG
  • progress 10a.JPG
  • Done 001a.JPG
  • Done 002a.JPG
  • Done 003a.JPG
  • Done 004a.JPG
  • Done 005a.JPG

Edited by bud119195, June 07, 2012 - 09:29 PM.

• rhribarron and maxedout have said thanks

#8 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10021
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted June 08, 2012 - 10:23 PM

This post has been promoted to an article

Edited by bowtiebutler956, June 12, 2012 - 08:16 AM.

• powerking56, Texas Deere and Horse, antiquetractors and 3 others have said thanks

#9 supernational OFFLINE  

supernational
  • Member No: 10168
  • 3 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted June 11, 2012 - 10:32 PM

hi i would like to nominate my 1968 122 cub cadet called supernational i bought it about 5 years agoand wanted to pull. we only thought that we just dump a little cash into it and be done with it. that has now turned into 2,000 dollars and counting. some of the work done to the tractor is: milled head, .030 piston, steel flywheel, 6 puck driver and billet pressure plates. soon to be parts: change limited slip to posy in rear. bigger cam, offset valve guides, and #28 or #30 carb.
but back to the history before i had it a man "accidently" rolled it down a hill and hit a tree. he didnt want it anymore so i bought it from his for $200 when i got it the frame was really beat up. the engine would bearly run becouse the frame had smashed the cam cover against the cam gear. so after a little work and some elbo grease we got her turnin 4500 rpm and makin 40hp.269879_129108950504035_100002147914092_225702_3735808_n.jpg IMG_8830.JPG IMG_8826.JPG IMG_8824.JPG

Edited by supernational, June 11, 2012 - 10:50 PM.

• MH81, maxedout and bowtiebutler956 have said thanks

#10 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 14, 2012 - 08:14 PM

Let the voting begin.

#11 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted June 15, 2012 - 01:06 AM

I want two of each please !

#12 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 15, 2012 - 04:26 PM

I have it narrowed down two a few. Not sure which one I am going with. I still have lots of time to decide!

#13 KIRO-1 OFFLINE  

KIRO-1

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2451
  • 40 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted June 15, 2012 - 09:07 PM

Dang!! This is gonna be tough..

#14 Alleycat OFFLINE  

Alleycat

• Member No: 6891
  • 12 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted June 16, 2012 - 06:09 AM

Man I want to vote for all of them!! All the stories are great too!!

#15 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted June 16, 2012 - 07:34 AM

Tough to chose this month, a great group of tractors and some wonderful stories!! Best of luck to everyone.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: featured, tractor, voting