7 replies to this topic

#1 ace69xxx2000 OFFLINE  

ace69xxx2000

• Contributor
  • Member No: 543
  • 22 Thanks
  • 130 posts

Posted June 14, 2012 - 07:31 PM

Ok just got a 160 a couple of days ago put had in and a battery and nothing thought maybe seat switch so bypassed that still nothing was looking by the starter and touched the solenoid and got burnt any ideas

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 14, 2012 - 09:02 PM

Do you have a voltage meter? I would check and make sure the ignition switch is functioning correctly and work from there.

#3 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted June 14, 2012 - 10:09 PM

Was the solenoid hot after you kept trying to start it? If it was then I would check to see if the engine turns by hand.

If it does turn then either the starter or the solenoid is at fault.

If this sat for a long time then it's possible the starter gear is just stuck on the flywheel.

those are just a few things it could be. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

#4 ace69xxx2000 OFFLINE  

ace69xxx2000

• Contributor
  • 22 Thanks
  • 130 posts

Posted June 15, 2012 - 04:30 AM

The engine turns by hand and the key was off for about a half hour when I realized the solenoid was hot it did sit for a couple years but the stater gear isn't even engaging to go up to the fly wheel I have a ignition switch on my 112l I will swap out tonight and see if that's it

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 15, 2012 - 05:04 AM

The solenoid shouldn't be hot after sitting for a half hour. It sounds like the ignition switch is faulty or some of the wiring has been tampered with. It's also possible that the solenoid has failed in a way that allows it to draw current and run down the battery. There shouldn't be any power going to the solenoid when the key is off.

#6 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted June 15, 2012 - 08:25 AM

I agree with Brian that Solenoid should not be hot. Take your meter and start checking to see why you are getting pwr with the Key off.

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 15, 2012 - 10:37 AM

There will always be power from the battery on the large input terminal of the solenoid but there shouldn't be any voltage on the small terminal unless you are turning the key to start. If there is voltage there then something is wrong. Disconnect the wire from the small terminal and check again for voltage. If there is no voltage on the solenoid then the fault is in your wiring. If there is voltage then something has failed inside the solenoid. If the solenoid still gets hot after you disconnect the wire then it faulty. It will run down your battery pretty quick if that's the case.

#8 ace69xxx2000 OFFLINE  

ace69xxx2000

• Contributor
  • 22 Thanks
  • 130 posts

Posted June 16, 2012 - 02:41 PM

Ok thank you it was a bad solenoid fort another problem when I got it I was told it had a bad fuel pump so I took the one off my 112l and its still not pumping any fuel I replaced all the gas lines and fuel filter I also disconnected the inlet side and don't feel any suction so i disconnected the out let side and seem to be water coming out I know the fuel pump ifs good just used it a couple of Weeks ago any ideas thank you