• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted June 26, 2012 - 07:20 AM

no more safety switches to worry about and it ran for almost a half hour till it just shut off. when i tried to restart it and pulled the chock out it tried to run. i checked the gas and have plenty in the tank.

I'm getting in late on this and can't seem to find part 1 so...... Have you verified that there is a no spark condition when it quits? I had a 2 cyl Briggs once that would quit when hot. It turned out that the float didn't have enough drop and when it would get hot it would expand enough to shut the needle and not let any gas in. The statement about trying to run when you pulled the choke reminded me of it. When it quits, have you tried spraying something in it to see if it fires?

#17 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted June 26, 2012 - 07:34 AM

Doug, it seems to shut down like the key got turned off, no spark at all. New coil, all the usual suspects checked. I think it's time to double check...

#18 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9589
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted June 26, 2012 - 07:37 AM

when it quit the other day i pulled the gas line off and it was pumping gas real good plus you can smrll the gas when it looses spark and i try to start it.
since it starts and runs with the kill switch wire unhooked , ill try it with the wire unhooked and see what happens.

#19 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted June 26, 2012 - 11:04 AM

well i went and it fired right up, i put the shroud on first for better air flow and it ran about 20 minutes and then it died. checked for spark and none. since i never took the fly wheel off i thought it may be a good idea if for nothing else to clean it up some.
here is a couple pics of what i found.
100_1747.JPG
100_1748.JPG

and the pile of trash i cleaned from under the fly wheel
100_1750.JPG

got them all cleaned up and still no spark.
i also took the ends off the new ignition module and bared the wires for the plug wires and put the metal ends back on so i know its getting good contact and the same. no spark.
there has to be a wire someplace that is shorting out or broke that i just cant seem to find.

#20 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted June 26, 2012 - 12:15 PM

Is that a 2 cyl opposed Briggs? If so, there isn't anything else to the coil other than the kill wire. If you have it off at the coil and it still has no spark then its bad. I'd go trade in the new one you bought for a good one and try it. Of course, if its not a Briggs, what engine are we working on?

#21 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,556 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted June 26, 2012 - 12:58 PM

Looks like a Kohler with the block splitting in the center as it does. And if no kill wire or any other wire at all was connected at the coil, then the new coil HAS to be defective.

#22 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted June 26, 2012 - 01:36 PM

i just got off the phone with TEW http://tewarehouse.com/ and they are replacing it. its all boxed up ready to go back.
yes its a kohler, i tried with and without the kill wire hooked to the new module and no spark at all. i just went out and with the old module back on it fired up after setting for about 3 hours.
is it the ignition module or a short/broken wire? need a head banging a wall smiley :shoot3:

#23 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,353 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted June 26, 2012 - 01:50 PM

Here you go: :wallbanging: :wallbanging: :wallbanging: :wallbanging: (wallbanging)

#24 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,556 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted June 26, 2012 - 02:19 PM

With your new one, likely broken wire inside somewhere. On the old one, the varnish between coil wrappings breaks down over time. The heat expands everything & then the wire coils begin pressing against one another, messing up the circuit.
  • MH81 said thank you