Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

How Do You Tell If A Gt Is Positive Or Negative Ground?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted June 13, 2012 - 09:13 PM

Several of my bush hogs are positive ground......so when did they start changing these gt to negative?

How can you tell??

I remember at one point the end of the battery cables had two different size clamps.....to fit the different sizes on the battery posts......guessing to prevent hooking it up wrong......anyway....would be interested to see when this changed.....why it changed.....etc....

Daniel was helping me and I hooked the jumper battery leads to the starter.....it ran clockwise with either positive or negative wire clamped to the A post on the starter......lesson learned for me......I would have thought the rotation would have changed.....

So hooking it up backwards damage anything.....if yes what??

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Edited by sacsr, June 13, 2012 - 09:13 PM.

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted June 13, 2012 - 09:40 PM

I am not sure when and why they stopped + ground. I just remember my boss at a garage I worked at as a kid, put a new wiring harness in a customers Old Ford Truck (had a flat head V8).

He hooked the battery up with - to ground, It wound up literally frying the points. But that was the only damage it did.

I would say if you just jumped the starter you would be fine.
  • sacsr said thank you

#3 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted June 14, 2012 - 03:07 AM

Polarity means nothing to a starter, it will spin the same direction no matter how it is wired. Now the charging system will be different, and you may have to reverse the leads on the amp meter.
  • Alc, sacsr and Toolpartzman have said thanks

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 14, 2012 - 05:01 AM

You may not have damaged anything by hooking it up backwards. Solid state (transistorized) ignition modules and regulators could be damaged but many of them are protected by diodes internally. Generally if you connect one backwards and there is no protection it will short out and blow a fuse or smoke and be obviously damaged. All you can do is try it in the correct polarity and see if all is ok.
  • sacsr said thank you

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted June 14, 2012 - 06:13 AM

I know nothing of the mechanics of this, and I've been remiss in not having it explained to me in terms I can understand, but there is a process called polarizing. Generators need this when you reverse hookup or they may not charge or charge at a reduced rate. The mechanic that fixed the last issue I had (when I was probably 16) used a device called a growler to test it and then did something that caused a couple of sparks and sent me on my way with a freshly polarized generator.

I would have suspected funny business except there was no charge for the labor, just a pat on the head and a don't do it again.

Anyone know about this process?

#6 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted June 14, 2012 - 06:37 AM

Well I looked at 3 of my owners manuals for these bush hogs. D4-10 and the HD-12 show the wiring diagram with the negative being the ground....the D4-7 D4-10 combination owners manual has "consult motor manual for proper ground" My T63 manual shows a diagram with a "positive ground".....so it is all over the board.

I know my crusty D4-10 with the Tecumseh and the T63 with the Wisconsin S7D is a positive ground.........so somewhere after these early models it changed.....

Just wish I could figure out (with out any thing burning up) how to distinguish positive ground from negative ground models.... :confuse:

#7 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 15, 2012 - 12:07 AM

Alan - I have done the polarizing a generator (at the regulator) and can't recall which two terminals I jumped, just know if you jump the wrong ones you get to buy another regulator lol.

As for the positive versus negative ground, old garden tractor manufacturers are bad about battery cables being color coded... both black LOL.