16 replies to this topic

#16 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted June 20, 2012 - 09:54 AM

Al, I am by no means an artist, so my "airbrush skills" are very basic. Airbrushes are like tractors, while they are all generally the same, you have to get to know the one you are working with. Mine is a single action Badger brand - you basically set up pattern and flow before you start as opposed to a double action where you can adjust mix on the fly. Double action is more what you would need for art work, but harder to learn and use. Single action is more like a "normal" paint gun.

Air pressure depends on viscosity - anywhere from 15psi to about 50psi, usually just enough to flow the paint without creating overspray. Very low volume use - can work off an air bottle, your compressor, or they even CO2 like for paintball guns. You also have different diameter nozzles for paint viscosity. If you are really interested in learning, go to ww.howtoairbrush.com, they have tutorials, tell about equipment, teach how to paint, stencils, flames, etc.....

I like that I can feather paint in and out, and by using tape and stencils, can make good lines (leave existing decals, paint or lettering) and that the gun can paint down to about a pencil width, or up to about 2" wide.

Russ, my paint booth has tracks on the ceiling with roller trollies that run on the track. Is great for hanging stuff to spray (as you see in the picture). I hook wire to each trolly that I can hang parts from. Can also hang curtains to protect an area from overspray, but I usually just throw a tarp over things I don't want to get dusty in there.
  • JDBrian said thank you

#17 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 20, 2012 - 10:29 AM

Thanks for all the great info on painting and air brushes. I find getting a good quality finish to be a big challenge and this is very helpful.