#1 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9589
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted June 13, 2012 - 02:06 PM

the ignition module i just got dont have the boots or ends on it. back in the day when we custom made wire for hot rods the center of the wires had a soft center that you had to expose and then clamp the end on. the wires on this ignition module has a hard wire center. do i need to expose the wite or just put the boots on then clamp the metal ends on ?

#2 ncb OFFLINE  

ncb
  • Member No: 3755
  • 51 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted June 13, 2012 - 03:03 PM

The conductive part of modern plug wire centers are carbon impregnated fiberglass strands. the solid wire needs to stay in contact with this center part . the carbon is also a powder so you dont want to kick around the exposed center section and knock all the loose carbon off the plugwire thereby losing the conductivity .

#3 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted June 13, 2012 - 03:23 PM

so i shouldnt strip the plug wire to expose the center?

#4 ncb OFFLINE  

ncb
  • Member No: 3755
  • 51 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted June 13, 2012 - 03:45 PM

so i shouldnt strip the plug wire to expose the center?

if the solid wire can be slipped inside the core to make solid contact with the carbon there may be no need to strip the insulation off , but not seeing the parts for myself leaves a lot of room for error on my part.

#5 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted June 13, 2012 - 04:00 PM

its just a solid wire and nothing else.
here is a pic i took to show its just a solid wire
100_1733.JPG

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted June 13, 2012 - 04:39 PM

If the metal clip ends have a sharp spur that digs into the wire when you pinch it on, then you won't need to do anything. If there is no spur, then I'd strip some insulation so you can bend the wire to go under the metal clip.
  • dogsoldier said thank you

#7 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted June 13, 2012 - 04:43 PM

thanks Dan, thats what i was thinking but its been 30 years since i have done any plug wire work.

#8 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted June 13, 2012 - 08:52 PM

I never saw it done before but on the DB I just got the center wire was bent around the metal piece and was soldered together .Have no idea if that was from the factory or not but looks to have made a pretty good connection, Al

#9 philips100 OFFLINE  

philips100

• Member No: 4935
  • 72 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted June 13, 2012 - 08:52 PM

There should be a metal brad (brass or copper) that goes through the center of the terminal into the wire core. The brad is what held the terminal onto wires with metal cores.

I ran these on my hotrod back in the day. Boy, when you pulled up next to someone at a light, they would immediately start turning the radio knobs! Remember AM radio?

#10 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,341 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted June 23, 2012 - 12:57 PM

All the new stuff seems to be suppression wire (read: increased resistance, loss of some spark). There is a place here that makes non-suppression wires from NOS that they have. I think it's .50 a foot and the ends are $1 each. Usually charge a couple of bucks to put a set together... Hardly worth futzing with it myself when I can just call and pick them up. Use them on all our bigger Massey Tractors with the continentals.

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,743 posts

Posted June 23, 2012 - 01:25 PM

I need a couple for my Onan, newer stuff doesn't fit into the coil!

#12 maxedout OFFLINE  

maxedout
  • Member No: 9548
  • 37 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted June 24, 2012 - 07:20 AM

My friend works on ATV's get's a boot that slides onto the solid wire and you screw it on. The wire end that goes down to the plug you can do either the screw on cap or the old crimp on method. You can get the boots off Ebay that connect to the module or ignition coils. They push on the wire, you then screw it on until it's on and that's that. I replaced my rubber crimp on spark plug boots with the same type and they work great!

#13 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted June 24, 2012 - 04:35 PM

i looked for those boots that screw on and must not be putting in the right words.

#14 maxedout OFFLINE  

maxedout
  • 37 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted June 25, 2012 - 08:32 AM

i looked for those boots that screw on and must not be putting in the right words.

I looked on Ebay and I couldn't find what I was looking for, I will get in touch with Allen and find out what they are called.

Mine is straight and it has a stud down deep inside and you twist with plug wires into it. I also have one bent like and elbow that screws on to the wire that goes directly to the spark plug. BOTH are made by NGK I do know that much because I went and checked and they have that logo on them...

A friend of mine said you cold twist the copper wire around the other wire that has carbon encrusted and then tape it or heat shrink it for protection but If it was me I would look for a better solution just because! LOL!

#15 maxedout OFFLINE  

maxedout
  • 37 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted June 25, 2012 - 08:34 AM

I was thinking too you might look at ATV parts because I think that is what mine are originally for!

Thought too, that those things are for wires that have been damaged and they're just a union to repair the plug wire or to lengthen one.