8 replies to this topic

#1 goodnews OFFLINE  

goodnews
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8713
  • 126 Thanks
  • 423 posts

Posted June 12, 2012 - 09:16 PM

i put the deck on and when the pto is turning tractor won't start loosened the belts as loose a si could even took the idler off , is their a saftey switch i don't know about ?

#2 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,167 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted June 12, 2012 - 09:37 PM

The load from having the blades turning is probably preventing your engine from starting.

Upper and lower belt guides need to be in place, and adjusted properly, to prevent the PTO belts from turning all the time.

When the PTO is engaged, the idler pulley moves against the belt(s) to apply tension.

When the PTO is dis-engaged, the idler pulley moves away from the belt(s), and there is slack in the belt(s). ....The belt guides control the location of where the slack occurs, to prevent the belt(s) from dragging on the engine pulley (which causes the PTO to turn).

The PTO assembly on the Bolens tube-frames can be adjusted vertically to increase or decrease the tension on the belt(s).

#3 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted June 12, 2012 - 09:43 PM

i put the deck on and when the pto is turning tractor won't start loosened the belts as loose a si could even took the idler off , is their a saftey switch i don't know about ?

i put the deck on and when the pto is turning tractor won't start loosened the belts as loose a si could even took the idler off , is their a safety switch i don't know about ?

there is a switch THE PTO MUST be disengaged and the the clucth must be depressed for the engine to turn over to start

#4 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted June 12, 2012 - 11:25 PM

Goodnews that pto switch should be located by the base of your steering colum, mine is just to the left where the pto shaft is located.

#5 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted June 13, 2012 - 03:07 AM

What model Tractor are we talking about... a 1050 dosent have any safety switches...
Like Bruce mentioned above make sure all belt guards are in place and you have the belts adjusted correctly. Do you have the correct size 42.5'' belts on there?

#6 goodnews OFFLINE  

goodnews
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 126 Thanks
  • 423 posts

Posted June 13, 2012 - 01:22 PM

thanks fellas for the help i pushed the clutch in and old girl fired up ,so this completes the 1054 husky restore. i've enjoyed the project and i couldn't have did it without you fellas help greatly appreicated . ready to start one more if i can find one . may God bless you and keep you safe and give peace in Christ John 3: 5

#7 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,167 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted June 13, 2012 - 06:48 PM

...when the pto is turning tractor won't start

Your statement was misleading.

How can the PTO be turning if the engine wouldn't crank because you didn't step on the clutch?

The PTO and Clutch safety switches interrupt the power going to the solenoid to crank the engine.

#8 goodnews OFFLINE  

goodnews
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 126 Thanks
  • 423 posts

Posted June 14, 2012 - 07:49 PM

the problem is my belts are to short they are the only i didn't replace hoping they where the right but they're not sorry about the confusion thanks for the help will buy newbelts . (in Christ)
  • MH81 said thank you

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted June 18, 2012 - 09:11 AM

Goodnews, glad you figured the problem out.