Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Question About Free Wheeling Pin On My 1050.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bill1261 OFFLINE  

bill1261
  • Member No: 8924
  • 7 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted June 12, 2012 - 12:54 PM

Hello,
Looking for wisdom concerning the free wheeling pin on my 1050. My 1050 died out in my garden and I need to tow it back to my shop to figure what's wrong. The free wheeling pin is rusted pretty bad. I've sprayed it real good with a penetrating lube. Can I heat it up with a torch? Can I hit it with a hammer? Will I damage anything by being too aggressive? thank you.......Bill

Edited by bill1261, June 12, 2012 - 12:56 PM.

#2 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted June 12, 2012 - 01:57 PM

Hello,
Looking for wisdom concerning the free wheeling pin on my 1050. My 1050 died out in my garden and I need to tow it back to my shop to figure what's wrong. The free wheeling pin is rusted pretty bad. I've sprayed it real good with a penetrating lube. Can I heat it up with a torch? Can I hit it with a hammer? Will I damage anything by being too aggressive? thank you.......Bill

put some pb blaster on it and let it sit also take the wheel off and use a punch to punch it out its alot better than breaking the cast iron retainer if you cant get the pin out rock the tractor back and forth some times they will roll but some times they wont .
cheers
Tyler

Edited by 8tyman8, June 12, 2012 - 02:44 PM.

• bill1261 said thank you

#3 goodnews OFFLINE  

goodnews
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8713
  • 126 Thanks
  • 423 posts

Posted June 12, 2012 - 01:58 PM

take the wheel off and you'll see a hole where you can knock it out from the inside . in christ
didn't see your post 8tyman8 till after i posted mine oops!

Edited by goodnews, June 12, 2012 - 02:01 PM.

#4 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,117 posts

Posted June 12, 2012 - 02:00 PM

Ditto to all the above answers as that is the safest way to do it without breaking something.

#5 bill1261 OFFLINE  

bill1261
  • 7 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted June 12, 2012 - 04:10 PM

Hi guys,
Got the tire off, found the hole, hit that with the PB Blaster......waited.....then tried hammering it out. I'm afraid to hit it any harder! I sprayed it again and will try again in a bit. "8tyman8" mentioned that if I rock the tractor back and forth, sometimes they will roll. Doesn't that mess up the differential?
thanx for all your support....Bill

#6 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,176 Thanks
  • 2,147 posts

Posted June 12, 2012 - 04:25 PM

Hitting the pin too hard can cause the cast-iron part to break. ....Usuallly, the thin section of the casting will break off first, but I have seen where the large part holding the pin breaks off the main part of the cast-iron hub.

Try turning the pin by putting a pipe wrench on the head of the pin. ....If you can get it to turn, then it can be driven back with a punch.

Penetrating fluid & patience are your best friend.

Can you move the tractor by picking up the rear-end partially, or completely? ....If you can get one rear wheel off the ground, the other wheel will rotate easily.

#7 bill1261 OFFLINE  

bill1261
  • 7 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted June 12, 2012 - 06:38 PM

Hey Guys,
I got the pin out!!! Thanx to all for your support! Once the pin came out, the tractor rolled with no problem......
Sincerely,
Bill

#8 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted June 12, 2012 - 06:41 PM

Good....now make sure to give it a coat of grease before you put it back in...makes removing it a LOT easier.

#9 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted June 12, 2012 - 09:47 PM

Hi guys,
Got the tire off, found the hole, hit that with the PB Blaster......waited.....then tried hammering it out. I'm afraid to hit it any harder! I sprayed it again and will try again in a bit. "8tyman8" mentioned that if I rock the tractor back and forth, sometimes they will roll. Doesn't that mess up the differential?
thanx for all your support....Bill

there should be no damage done to the diff just as long as your easy on it NOT like having the tow strap and the pick up truck on it

#10 Dons916 OFFLINE  

Dons916
  • Member No: 8790
  • 0 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted June 16, 2012 - 10:36 AM

I had the same prob,But I had to drive the pin in feather as the previous owner had it all mushroomed out from pounding on it.I used a file to taper the pin.and worked it back and forth with wd40.I had to be really careful as part of the top half of the housing was broke.I still have to loosen the traction nut on the left side though,But all is good now.