• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 LUKEW OFFLINE  

LUKEW

• Member No: 3180
  • 5 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted June 12, 2012 - 12:18 PM

Just picked this up last weekend and need some input. It is serial #200001, which caught my attention as being unique, but have found no way to figure out when it would have been built. The PTO has been removed at some time, so do if I restore this, do I want to go thru the effort of replacing it? I will not be using PTO, but wonder if it is something that should be done. I am thinking this will be a good resto project for my step-son and I to work on. What do you guys think?

Attached Thumbnails

• 2012-06-11_17-51-43_842.jpg
  • 2012-06-11_06-11-54_562.jpg

#2 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted June 12, 2012 - 12:24 PM

Welcome to GTT Luke! By all accounts the Snapper units built for Massey are rugged and dependable. It should make an excellent project for the two of you.
  • LUKEW said thank you

#3 Wheel Horse Kid OFFLINE  

Wheel Horse Kid

Certified Wheel Horse Nut

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10019
  • 213 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted June 12, 2012 - 01:25 PM

Great looking MF!!!! I really do not know much about MF tractors (since I am into Wheel Horses) to say whether you should fix the pto or not. Good luck with it!
  • LUKEW said thank you

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 12, 2012 - 05:20 PM

That's a really nice GT you've got there. We don't see many of those up here. Mostly 16/1855's. I like that model it's a nice size and is nicely equipped.
  • LUKEW said thank you

#5 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted June 12, 2012 - 10:22 PM

What makes you think it came with the rear pto?

#6 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted June 12, 2012 - 10:49 PM

Nice looking 1650. You'll notice that the Model Number is MF1650, if it had come with a PTO it would be Model Number MF1650 A. I have both a MF1650 A and a Snapper 1650 A and the PTO's were disconnected on both when I purchased them. Everything was there but the drive belts were missing. I notice that grass clippings and dirt tend to collect around the pulleys at the rear of the tractor and tend to rust them out. This may not be the case if they are used frequently and kept clean but I don't know for sure. Enjoy your tractor, it's a workhorse. I can't see if you have a 3 point hitch on it but I see you have the hydraulic control for it. If you want one, they show up on eBay and Craigslist now and then for around $300 to $350.
  • LUKEW said thank you

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted June 12, 2012 - 10:59 PM

Nice looking tractor, and a unique serial number for sure.

:welcome: to GTTalk and hopefully someone has some kind of sn list to help you pinpoint year & if the number is special.
  • LUKEW said thank you

#8 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted June 12, 2012 - 11:18 PM

Tinner is correct, the pto was an option, and i see now your engagement handle is missing. The problem with finding them used is how beat out the splined couplers are, they are softer than the shafts , the last time i checked they were no longer available
Check your local MF and Snapper dealers, I've had good luck finding NOS on the shelves of dealers since these tractors were built into the 80's, Both my 1650 and 1200 have pto's and i have the big tiller and finish mower, it's neat to play with the 2000 rpm stuff.
Your dash and center console look really good, ( they break out alot) , Enjoy , they're a great tractor

On your serial number? I wonder if the first number means anything, on MTD it's just a prefix, thats how we found out that Dads T80 was tractor number 3, That would really be something if found a number 1

Edited by HALFSCALE, June 12, 2012 - 11:22 PM.

• LUKEW said thank you

#9 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted June 13, 2012 - 10:03 PM

Welcome to GTT. Great machine you've got yourself there. I've got one, and just love it.
I'm curious too, to find out about
that serial #. Please keep us posted, if you find out.
  • LUKEW said thank you

#10 LUKEW OFFLINE  

LUKEW

• Member No: 3180
  • 5 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted June 14, 2012 - 07:47 AM

Well I believe this tractor is the first off the assembly line, from the serial number sheet I downloaded in the manual section. The previous owner stated that it use to have pto, but it had been removed, and the pto shield in the back is open, not covered up in anyway. I grew up with a MF 1650, one of the last before Snapper took over, and now I really look forward to restoring this, and putting the PTO and 3 point on it. I don't think I will put much effort into the deck, knowing the expense of parts, and we have other mowers to use. So any advice on starting the restore woulld be much appreciated.

#11 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,626 Thanks
  • 3,867 posts

Posted June 14, 2012 - 09:04 AM

You Have the very first 1650 off the line.
You luck dog.
see here. http://gardentractor...55-1855-serial/
  • MH81 and LUKEW have said thanks

#12 bgkid2966 ONLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted June 14, 2012 - 09:11 AM

Welcome! Nice looking GT and if info is correct and you have the first of that model, what a score!! That will be a great project for you and your stepson. Great find.

Geno
  • LUKEW said thank you

#13 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted June 14, 2012 - 09:12 AM

Wow...the very 1st one! May not increase it's value, but it certainly something unique! I have the 44th MF12H off the line and thought that was neat, but 1st!!!!!
  • LUKEW said thank you

#14 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted June 14, 2012 - 11:39 AM

Take lots of pictures as you do the tear down. Bag and label the hardware as you go. Put penetrateing oil
on the steering wheel shaft/hub NOW.

That's pretty neat that you've got #1.

Oh, yeah, we like to look at pictures, so keep em coming.
Good luck with the resto.
  • LUKEW said thank you

#15 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted June 16, 2012 - 07:03 PM

Wow ,congrats on unique score, we thought we were doing good with number 3 and i know of a few consecutive serial numbered tractors. Here is another one for food for thought for you, I always ask people, do you think when they took pictures for the brochures, did they take a few of the first tractors that were built? , i'm sure they used a couple, is yours the one ?, is dad's number 3 white in a brochure ? Makes great conversation at tractor shows, especially to people that think the little guys don't have much to offer.