• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 frenchy OFFLINE  

frenchy

• Member No: 2666
  • 29 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted June 12, 2012 - 08:54 AM

So I'm in the middle of my 3rd rebuild on my K321 and I had a bolt that was seized in the head which I drilled out and tapped last night. I knew that I would have metal chips from that process in the exhaust port, so I tried to get the manifold off.... in that process the bolt heads stripped and I had to cut the head off. Now I have 2 bolts stuck in the exhaust mount.

What options do I have? Are there mufflers that I can screw into that port where it's threaded or am I drilling and tapping two more bolts?

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 12, 2012 - 10:16 AM

I'm not sure exactly what you are referring to. On the K321 on my JD314 the exhaust system connects to a pipe fitting that is screwed into the exhaust port on the block of the engine. If you could post a picture of the problem that may help.

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 12, 2012 - 11:02 AM

Brian, some versions use threaded bolt holes to secure an exhaust manifold. Usually, but not always, the port will also have the pipe threads inside. Frenchy...if it does have the internal pipe threads, you could possibly just clean these threads out & use a piece of NPT pipe to mount your exhaust to.
  • JDBrian said thank you

#4 frenchy OFFLINE  

frenchy

• Member No: 2666
  • 29 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted June 12, 2012 - 11:35 AM

I'm not sure exactly what you are referring to. On the K321 on my JD314 the exhaust system connects to a pipe fitting that is screwed into the exhaust port on the block of the engine. If you could post a picture of the problem that may help.

That's what I figure i'll do. Mine is connected with a 2 bolt manifold, then goes to a muffler via C-clamp.

Brian, some versions use threaded bolt holes to secure an exhaust manifold. Usually, but not always, the port will also have the pipe threads inside. Frenchy...if it does have the internal pipe threads, you could possibly just clean these threads out & use a piece of NPT pipe to mount your exhaust to.

I think that's what i'll do!

thanks guys!

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 12, 2012 - 05:12 PM

The one on my engine has a 45 degree bend in it. I think in pipe fitting terms it would be a 45 street elbow. They can be hard to find. They show up on ebay in the 20$ range. If you need a straight fitting it's easier to come by. I'm not sure if a conventional pipe thread works for these. Daniel may know. I haven't had to deal with this problem on these engines but I know on a small Band S engine I have a conventional pipe fitting would not work. I hope it's an easy fix.

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 12, 2012 - 05:35 PM

Yes, a standard pipe fitting will fit these, as I've used them before.