180 replies to this topic

#46 BowDown ONLINE  

BowDown
  • Member No: 10128
  • 192 Thanks
  • 417 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 07:09 AM

True. It just makes sense. LOL

I have a bid on one via eBay. Going to shop locally and see if I can find anything in a scrap yard because I'm already topped on my bid.

#47 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 07:54 AM

True. It just makes sense. LOL

I have a bid on one via eBay. Going to shop locally and see if I can find anything in a scrap yard because I'm already topped on my bid.

If you're looking for a transmission, specifically a power king transmission, you'll find that they generally run about $150 unrestored and about $250 rebuilt. What I've been doing is using one of the nationwide craigslist searches, making an offer if they will ship, and sending a money order prior to shipping. It's a little risky that way, so it depends on how much risk you're willing to accept. E-Bay at least manages the risk by making sure that bad sales go against someone's record. Though bad sales are rare.

#48 BowDown ONLINE  

BowDown
  • 192 Thanks
  • 417 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 10:10 AM

Time to think outside the box? How about a '65 Mustang 3-Speed Manual? Without the bell housing they are actually damn compact. My father had a couple laying around (which he threw in when he sold his project.. grr) and from what I can remember the length might just work? No driveshaft needed?

Can't seem to find the overall length from tip of shaft to end of tail though.

What was the gear ratios in the power king?

#49 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 12:31 PM

They still make the PK tranny new. Here's a link to the spec including ratios:
http://www.olympicge...eeringdataV.gif

I see no reason why a small car tranny would not work. Just watch you don't run out of room between the sprocket and the drive lever. The t70 drive shaft is a lot shorter than the 1107, which is what I started with. Though you may want to come up with another clutching mechanism other than the drive lever.

#50 BowDown ONLINE  

BowDown
  • 192 Thanks
  • 417 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 12:46 PM

Ya I plan to eliminate the stock drive lever and mounting rod w/foot pegs. This will fix my deck PTO issues as well. Thinking a left foot pedal, or some kind of grip clutch on the shifter arm for the clutch on the drive. Just build an accessory style drive off the front of the engine.

#51 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 07:38 PM

Ya I plan to eliminate the stock drive lever and mounting rod w/foot pegs. This will fix my deck PTO issues as well. Thinking a left foot pedal, or some kind of grip clutch on the shifter arm for the clutch on the drive. Just build an accessory style drive off the front of the engine.

Yeah, that would be cool. I was giving a little thought to the left foot clutch pedal thing too. I wouldn't want to give up the big drive lever because it's cool for looks and does help when you have to give it some extra tension for tight spots. I could try some ways to make it work with either/or. But I'll tell you that's going to be pretty far down on my to-do list.

#52 BowDown ONLINE  

BowDown
  • 192 Thanks
  • 417 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 08:16 PM

This is tru. The forward/reverse arm is neat... but depending on shifter location this could be replicated by the transmission and grip style clutch? :)

Looking forward to ur tranny install. Would u mind passing along ur calculations for gearing? I was thinking of setting up a spreadsheet so i could plug in different tranny ratios and drive pulley configurations.

Sent from my cell.

#53 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted July 03, 2012 - 07:13 AM

Yeah, I have my stuff down on a sheet. The one thing I'm concerned about is that I did the calculations from the Olympic Gear company who still makes the tranny. I never counted the turns on the Crosley tranny to make sure the specs were the same. I'm assuming they are, but you never know for sure.

#54 BowDown ONLINE  

BowDown
  • 192 Thanks
  • 417 posts

Posted July 03, 2012 - 07:20 AM

True.

I got the measurements from an eBay seller of an '85 Camaro V6 T5 tranny. The casing measures 25.5" long, and the shaft is 6.5" long. Didn't get a chance to measure the Panzer yet.. but I will when I get home. Having the 5 speed would be awesome. Crawl gear, 3 usable gears, and a transport gear.

#55 BowDown ONLINE  

BowDown
  • 192 Thanks
  • 417 posts

Posted July 03, 2012 - 07:21 AM

Main problem I can see is the input shaft is 1" 26T. Would imagine the pulley is going to be custom for that application.

#56 BowDown ONLINE  

BowDown
  • 192 Thanks
  • 417 posts

Posted July 03, 2012 - 06:19 PM

Ya so i took some measurements... no way in hell can i fit a car tranny length wise. I have 17" tops from pulley to gear. Back to the speedex tranny idea. Lol.

Sent from my cell.

#57 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted July 03, 2012 - 10:37 PM

Yeah, 25 inches is a long way. You could think about going with a wider engine or move the engine forward to give you more room. But that would mess with any of the other PTO pulley points and such.

#58 BowDown ONLINE  

BowDown
  • 192 Thanks
  • 417 posts

Posted July 04, 2012 - 09:46 PM

Looks like i will get outbid on the ebay tranny. May have to continue my local search.

Was thinking 1-1/2" x 1/4" cold rolled strip steel for the deck scissor brackets... should be more than enough right? LOL

Edited by BowDown, July 05, 2012 - 06:33 AM.

#59 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 07:33 AM

Looks like i will get outbid on the ebay tranny. May have to continue my local search.

Was thinking 1-1/2" x 1/4" cold rolled strip steel for the deck scissor brackets... should be more than enough right? LOL

Yeah, I'd think that 1" x 1/4" is about what they came with.

#60 BowDown ONLINE  

BowDown
  • 192 Thanks
  • 417 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 05:13 PM

Drooling over a Kohler Magnum 18 on eBay. Oh I need to get out the tape measure. Figure if I'm not keeping the stock pulley system I may be able to squeeze this mammoth beast under the hood.