• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 14, 2012 - 01:20 PM

Where in NY are you? Where was the tractor? I live in the Mid-Hudson area.

That sounds like a great price! Did it cost 200 or 150? You said both in different posts. LOL! I am looking forward to seeing your modifications to it!

#17 BowDown ONLINE  

BowDown
  • Member No: 10128
  • 177 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted June 14, 2012 - 01:32 PM

Where in NY are you? Where was the tractor? I live in the Mid-Hudson area.

That sounds like a great price! Did it cost 200 or 150? You said both in different posts. LOL! I am looking forward to seeing your modifications to it!

He wanted $350 firm. I got it for $200.

Just picked up a nice deck to retro-fit for $65 :).

I live in the Utica/Rome area. The Panzer was located south-west in Morrisville area.

#18 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 14, 2012 - 01:40 PM

He wanted $350 firm. I got it for $200.

Just picked up a nice deck to retro-fit for $65 :).

I live in the Utica/Rome area. The Panzer was located south-west in Morrisville area.

Those are both over 3 hours from me. If it was closer, I probably would have looked into it. LOL!

#19 BowDown ONLINE  

BowDown
  • 177 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted June 14, 2012 - 01:42 PM

Ya this guy was truly out in the middle of no where. Erieville... lol.

#20 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted June 14, 2012 - 02:50 PM

I'll have to remember to check the thread once I get home to see the pictures of the deck. If you're talking about fashioning your own PTO to drive the deck, and you got that kind of skill, then I have no doubt you'll get it done. It's the guys who pick up any panzer deck and assume it'll work on their panzer that I feel for. They can get a surprise real easy when they find out that they got the top-drive deck with a side-drive tractor or vice-versa.

As for the engine, I do like the max-tool. Though the one thing I noticed about the one you posted is the 18 amp unit. That would be boss if you need it, because the maxtool one only gives enough juice to charge the battery.

#21 BowDown ONLINE  

BowDown
  • 177 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted June 14, 2012 - 02:56 PM

Ya that's what I was thinking. It would give me more headway for access lighting or power draw if I needed it. The MaxTool one is $285 the home depot one is $409 - 10% off coupon.. so like $365. Is the $80 worth it? Prbly considering a small alt can fetch almost $100 without any brackets and would also require a pulley to drive it on the engine. Also it's already black on the parts I wish to keep black.

#22 BowDown ONLINE  

BowDown
  • 177 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted June 14, 2012 - 02:58 PM

With the PTO drive I was thinking of using the electric PTO clutch most modern tractors come with. Would be nice to just press a button and have the PTO engage.

#23 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted June 14, 2012 - 03:05 PM

With the PTO drive I was thinking of using the electric PTO clutch most modern tractors come with. Would be nice to just press a button and have the PTO engage.

Yes, that would be a good idea. I've thought about doing that if my old ball bearing pto clutch ever gives out. The trick is going to be getting a shaft to it because the 3 pulley drive and reverse disc cover the entire engine shaft. What I had considered was using another piece of 1 inch keyed shaft to come out of the 3 pulley setup and then into an electric pto. A setup like that would requre the PTO to have a good bearing or add a bearing as that piece of 1 inch shaft would just be floating with nothing else to support it.
  • BowDown said thank you

#24 BowDown ONLINE  

BowDown
  • 177 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted June 14, 2012 - 03:39 PM

Correct. I'm thinking of tagging off the engine pully that would normall drive the deck then link to the electric clutch then from the floating shaft weld or attach the mate PTO end for the deck drive.

#25 BowDown ONLINE  

BowDown
  • 177 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted June 18, 2012 - 07:04 AM

Did some test fitting of the deck under the panzer and found the original brackets are a bit tall and out of place.. but was able to fit it under the tractor after lifting the front wheels and sitting the tractor over the deck. LOL. Once I remove the original brackets there wont be a problem. The deck will work great! Now to design a PTO take off. Going to be tricky as I need to reverse the engine rotation.

#26 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted June 18, 2012 - 09:03 AM

Now that you say it, original Panzer decks are very short in height. So if you're plugging a different deck in under there, I could see how you'd run into problems with "too tall". It'll work out if you keep after it.

#27 BowDown ONLINE  

BowDown
  • 177 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted June 18, 2012 - 10:00 AM

https://www.surplusc...3003-A&catname= I believe I have found a nice PTO conversion piece. If I lengthen the shaft for the drive gear and mount a pull onto the end it will give me the PTO output and engagement switch all in one $50 piece. :)

#28 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted June 18, 2012 - 10:26 AM

I'm a little confused on that one. It looks like it's made to mount to the engine or a transmission of a massey ferguson. Unless you have the same pieces?

#29 BowDown ONLINE  

BowDown
  • 177 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted June 18, 2012 - 10:42 AM

Ya it's meant to drive right off the tranny or crankshaft on a massy.. but if I take the shaft holding the top drive gear in place, and replace it with a longer one that extends past the casing I can then mount a pulley to connect to the panzer engine. I will then need to make a cover for the remaining top pieces so I can keep oil in the lower half.

From a design standpoint this is far superior to what I was thinking with using some pillow block bearings, pulley, and chain to reverse the engine direction. Then I would still need an electric clutch pulley to trigger the PTO. This solution while manual, will serve the purpose and prbly be more reliable in the long run.

#30 BowDown ONLINE  

BowDown
  • 177 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted June 19, 2012 - 07:26 AM

Posted Image

Part has been ordered. I will start posting more pics when i actually get started working on it. As of now I'm collecting parts while people are thinking warm weather. After fall gets here, I will have to resort to ordering things online instead of sourcing local.