• This topic is locked This topic is locked
180 replies to this topic

#1 BowDown OFFLINE  

BowDown
  • Member No: 10128
  • 195 Thanks
  • 424 posts

Posted June 12, 2012 - 06:31 AM

Well I had been eyeing a t70 on craigslist for a couple weeks. The seller didn't post a price, and was near impossible to get ahold of. At the time I really didn't have the cash needed laying around so I just waited... Well I found the cash, and after a few phone/text attempts I finally got ahold of the seller and arranged a time to take a look at it. He said he bought it for $300, and had put about $50 in parts into it (carb rebuild, front tube, oil change). Said it runs great now and wants $350 (no attachments).

I figured considering the condition and the fact it was local (1hr away) it was worth the money.

After I got there he tells me there's a problem.. he went to start it to move it out front and the recoil rope broke off. LOL. He had the front cover off and was attempting a repair but didn't have the correct replacement part. So he said he'd jump it with the 4 wheeler and knock $50 off. I still didn't say anything. So him and his brother attempted to jump the panzer... could hear compression but no start. Doubt he was using the choke. So after a couple attemps he was getting frustratied.. He's like I know it runs, but it doesn't look like it now. WTF.

He then just said.. well if you want it $200 and it's yours.

SOLD!

Loaded it up onto the trailer and drove it down the dusty trail to my house. :)

I haven't done anything with it yet.. but I'm going to source the correct rope and attempt to get it running as is. The color is obviously wrong.. but everything is in great condition for being 50 years old. I will need a new reverse wheel.. but other than that.. I should be able to get it running under it's own power again.

My plans for this t70 is as follows:
-Full strip down to the frame, and repaint using original colors
-Diesel repower (thinking 2 or 3cyl, but pending measurements... at least a single cylinder)
-Replace front tires with 3-ribs
-Replace rear tires with Ags
-Retrofit a modern mowing deck (as I don't have an original, and modern decks cut better anyway)
-Aquire a plow
-Aquire a snow blower (matching or not.. thinking 2 stage).

Everything will look as though it came that way from the factory (or better).

I'm thinking this will be a couple year adventure as I get time.

Here's some pictures:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
  • Newpaws493 and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#2 sacsr ONLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted June 12, 2012 - 06:35 AM

Another great find! And at a great price! Congrats looking forward to seeing the restore pics!

#3 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,333 Thanks
  • 1,320 posts

Posted June 12, 2012 - 06:38 AM

Good find Bow Down, I tihnk it was worth the money even not running !!!

#4 BowDown OFFLINE  

BowDown
  • 195 Thanks
  • 424 posts

Posted June 12, 2012 - 06:41 AM

That's what I was thinking. Everything seems to move ok when pushing it.. No brake dragging. Seems to be a solid little tractor!

#5 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted June 12, 2012 - 06:50 AM

Like the way you allowed him to negotiate the price down for you, the patience, timing & skillful silence all seemed to work for you! Congrats,she's lookin' good right off the trailer... :thumbs: lookin' forward to the progress reports.

#6 BowDown OFFLINE  

BowDown
  • 195 Thanks
  • 424 posts

Posted June 12, 2012 - 07:04 AM

This is true. I went there will all intentions of giving him asking price (assuming he didn't want to negotiate), and this was with repower on the brain. Was great to leave with a tractor and $150. :)

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 12, 2012 - 08:02 AM

Nice Panzer. Looking forward to your restoration. It looks like a very nice starting point and the nice price will allow more cash for attachments and repairs.
  • BowDown said thank you

#8 Wheel Horse Kid OFFLINE  

Wheel Horse Kid

Certified Wheel Horse Nut

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10019
  • 213 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted June 12, 2012 - 08:28 AM

Congrats on your find and nice looking Panzer! Sounds like you got some great plans for it!

#9 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted June 12, 2012 - 12:35 PM

Congrats on the tractor and the deal. I was watching that one for a while but it was too far away. If I'd known what the price ended up at, it might have been worth it. :smilewink:
  • BowDown said thank you

#10 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted June 12, 2012 - 03:06 PM

Looks like a nice starting point and nice price too :thumbs: Keep us posted on your rebuild.

#11 BowDown OFFLINE  

BowDown
  • 195 Thanks
  • 424 posts

Posted June 13, 2012 - 06:27 AM

Hoping to get a chance to start it after work tonight. After looking closer I highly double the briggs motor on it is original. The throttle control is a slide lever on a linkage next to the carb.. and the ignition coil reads the flywheel from the top? I thought these older engines had points? I'll see if I can find any model info from the engine.

#12 BowDown OFFLINE  

BowDown
  • 195 Thanks
  • 424 posts

Posted June 13, 2012 - 02:59 PM

http://www.homedepot...131&R=203277131 Gotta say this engine with all it's features looks like a great buy. I know I was thinking diesel.. but maybe go eco with a propane conversion? I love my propane weed wacker. ;)

Thinking the 18A charging system would give me more power for a possible electric lift, and headlights.

#13 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted June 14, 2012 - 12:12 PM

Wish I could see the pictures at work!!! Maybe later.
Anyways, a 2 or 3 cylinder diesel would be a tough fit.
I have a 420cc gx honda clone in my Panzer 1107 freak. You will have to make a new motor mount at the very least. Also, what is the output shaft on your current engine? Is it 1 inch? If it's 3/4 inch, then you may have to find a new engine pulley to match whatever engine you pick. Good luck!

#14 BowDown OFFLINE  

BowDown
  • 195 Thanks
  • 424 posts

Posted June 14, 2012 - 01:02 PM

Picked up a donor deck! Was bout 30min away from my work.. but well worth the drive. This thing is in great condition and will make a great mowing deck for the Panzer. I'm going to create a Bolen's like PTO under the motor plate for this to connect to (or another attachment).

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Great deal for $65 eh? :)

#15 BowDown OFFLINE  

BowDown
  • 195 Thanks
  • 424 posts

Posted June 14, 2012 - 01:03 PM

Wish I could see the pictures at work!!! Maybe later.
Anyways, a 2 or 3 cylinder diesel would be a tough fit.
I have a 420cc gx honda clone in my Panzer 1107 freak. You will have to make a new motor mount at the very least. Also, what is the output shaft on your current engine? Is it 1 inch? If it's 3/4 inch, then you may have to find a new engine pulley to match whatever engine you pick. Good luck!

After reading through your thread I am considering the same engine you just installed. Seems like a decent amount of HP and fits without too much modification. I am thinking propane conversion for it though. Just to be different and match my weedwacker. LOL.