• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 11, 2012 - 02:35 PM

My oldest has had an Ipod for a couple years now and we have put a lot of music on it. My youngest now has a new Ipod an I should be able to share the contents from one to the other with out buying it again. Does anyone know how to share between 2 Ipods in the same household. Thanks in advance..

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 11, 2012 - 03:39 PM

I think you need to set it up as a device in Itunes. Then you should be able to copy between them through the computer but I'm not sure exactly how this is done.

#3 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted June 11, 2012 - 03:46 PM

I move music back and forth all the time and I just simply open it up as a device in my file manager and do a copy and past. Just pay attention to the folder structure on the old IPod. Most of the open source Music players will also allow you to move the music from one device to another.
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 11, 2012 - 03:54 PM

I don't want to move the music, but copy it to a second Ipod so that both girls have music on their Ipods..

#5 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted June 11, 2012 - 04:26 PM

I don't want to move the music, but copy it to a second Ipod so that both girls have music on their Ipods..

You just need to open both devices in a file manager. Windows calls it "Window explorer" then just do a copy & paste to where you want it. The big thing is to watch the folder structure because some mp3 players are fussy about that and I believe IPod is one of them.

Since I'm on Linux I can't run ITunes but my granddaughter tells me that there is not function in ITune's to move music from one device to the other that is why she ask's me to do it. Brian you may want to think about copying the music from the one device to a backup device(such as your hard drive) and then copy it over to the other IPod this way if something happens to either IPod you have a back up and with young ones something will happen.

#6 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 11, 2012 - 04:36 PM

Thanks Bill, I will try that. I had found some info on the net, but I couldn't get the hidden files that you have to delete to copy the music to stop interfering with the paste to the new one, if that makes sense...

#7 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted June 11, 2012 - 04:51 PM

When you open the device in explorer go to the view menu (I think) and find Folder options. click on that and a window will open. go to the last tab and scroll down to where it say's show hidden files and click on that check box and you should see the files you need to get rid of. Again since I'm on Linux I don't have to deal with that.

#8 lilywen OFFLINE  

lilywen
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10359
  • 1 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 02:13 AM

you should fisrt transfer your ipod music to you computer.But Apple's have taken a restrictive approach to combat piracy and selling their content via apple’s iTunes store. ITunes provides no method for transferring your music and other media content from your iPod back to your computer. but a third-party can pick up everything from ipod to pc .i suggest u search a page about “how to copy music from ipod to pc” ,it can give u more guides