• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted June 11, 2012 - 10:48 AM

I've lived on this place for 20yrs. Right before i left for the show, i noticed a depression in the yard, in an area I drive though to park my trailers. Now its dry here and suddenly i have a soft spot? Got the shovel out and poked it this morning. Sounded hollow, so I dug up the top and found this..............
well 001.JPG well 002.JPG

The only thing i can think its either an old well or it was a septic tank made from a 55gl barrel. Cant figure out why it would be there, as i had a septic tank up until 2002 up closer to the house, and that was removed when we hooked up to the cities system.

Kind of scary to think theres a large hole under the ground just waitng to swallow you up, and i been driving over it for yrs.

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted June 11, 2012 - 11:00 AM

I'll bet someone had that as a dry well for a sink or washing machine to drain into. That way it didn't fill the septic with just gray water.

Glad you found it before you fell into it!

#3 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 11, 2012 - 11:13 AM

I would guess your right about a Drum Septic system. A lot of the improvised septic tanks were installed before there was county regulation .In Fact I can think of 3 I helped install Back when I was young enough to be put on a spade.

I have a depression on my property in an area about 60 ft from a barn(before the property was sub divided) that boils over most years(not this year). And I'm not sure if it is an old well or septic tank.

#4 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted June 11, 2012 - 12:37 PM

Yep, I've put in some of those over the years, but they were just for downspouts and we always filled them with gravel. Old timers around here tell me they put'em in for the out houses with no gravel...just put a lid on it when full and kept moving the shack...looks like that is what you got. Glad nobody was hurt.

#5 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted June 11, 2012 - 01:41 PM

Glad you found it Jeff before one of the two wheelers did. Some of the thoughts on its previous use sound interesting.

#6 Wheel Horse Kid OFFLINE  

Wheel Horse Kid

Certified Wheel Horse Nut

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10019
  • 213 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted June 11, 2012 - 02:15 PM

WOW! That is a big hole! Glad your trailer never fell into it!

#7 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 11, 2012 - 02:20 PM

Jeff, I bet it is for your gray water, a lot of older homes did that so they didn't over work the septic system..

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted June 11, 2012 - 06:48 PM

Looks like Jeff has a new flower planter. :p

Very glad no one was hurt and that you found it with the shovel and not a tire. Home made tanks are all around us, bet we'd be surprised how many old cars, washtubs, drums, etc are in the ground in our neighborhoods.

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 11, 2012 - 07:09 PM

Jeff, I bet it is for your gray water, a lot of older homes did that so they didn't over work the septic system..

Yes, the would either remove the barrel bottom, or punch holes near & in the bottom. This gave plenty of room for the washer to dump the water, then it would slowly seep into the ground, then ready for another round. Dad made his from solid 4" concrete blocks, making it like a well. I had to dig it up when we put in our pool, but it wasn't used anymore anyway.

#10 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted June 12, 2012 - 01:04 AM

i looked at it some more and the pipe is only 1 1/2" so i dont think you could have run poop though it. it also go away from the house and there is no other in/outlet. I beleive at one time there was a trailer that sat out in this area, before i bought the place, so the barrel could have been in the ground for 30 yrs.

looks like im going to have to find a front loader attachment for a 2 wheeled tractor now, as it going to take some dirt to fill this back up and be level again.

Yes thank god i saw it right before the show and didnt drop a truck or trailer wheel down there. I'm sure it was the truck that caved in the top.

#11 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted June 12, 2012 - 01:09 PM

No mason jars full of money hidden in there???

#12 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted June 12, 2012 - 02:43 PM

No mason jars full of money hidden in there???

Boy, wouldn't that have been nice.

Hope you get that filled in and squared away soon. Good luck.

#13 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 12, 2012 - 04:04 PM

i looked at it some more and the pipe is only 1 1/2" so i dont think you could have run poop though it. it also go away from the house and there is no other in/outlet. I beleive at one time there was a trailer that sat out in this area, before i bought the place, so the barrel could have been in the ground for 30 yrs.

looks like im going to have to find a front loader attachment for a 2 wheeled tractor now, as it going to take some dirt to fill this back up and be level again.

Yes thank god i saw it right before the show and didnt drop a truck or trailer wheel down there. I'm sure it was the truck that caved in the top.

I think instead of dirt, I would fill it with sand. Sand will run into the corners better and settle less. Once it was well settled there is some stuff that will seal it good. I can't remember the name but it is a kind of clay. I had to fill a 11 ft Artisan well one time and the guy from the county provided it. Said they use it to fill old wells, so people can't fall in. You might call the county and ask? He never even charged me for it, just brought it out and plugged it.

Edited by JD DANNELS, June 12, 2012 - 04:05 PM.

#14 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted June 12, 2012 - 04:16 PM

I think instead of dirt, I would fill it with sand. Sand will run into the corners better and settle less. Once it was well settled there is some stuff that will seal it good. I can't remember the name but it is a kind of clay. I had to fill a 11 ft Artisan well one time and the guy from the county provided it. Said they use it to fill old wells, so people can't fall in. You might call the county and ask? He never even charged me for it, just brought it out and plugged it.

Bentonite