Garden Tractor Forums banner

Spark Mf8

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  MH81 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
How to tell you have spark on a MF8 Tescumseh HM80 model 155019? Took off the fly wheel and it look strange to me. Thought I would see points! And what parts would should be looking at. Electric start.

Thanks

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
The hm80 on my MF8 has points. That spec no. should have points. They are under the flywheel behind an alluminum cover . You could have a replacement engine on there or it could have been modded to electronic ignition. A photo would help.

#4 ·
MF8 Found the points cleaned up everything up. Have spark, only orange color. So order patrs, points, conenser, and coil. Knew on here I'll try to show pictures when I learn how. Enjoy reading the Forums. Really helpful. This has not ran over 30 years. Seems parts for this MF8 are higher? MF 8 H serial no. 1590503915 , engine HM80 serial no. 155019 2297p
Mover MF 710 serial no. 1590859 843 the 8 maybe a 6. how do you get to say Thanks! Also have a case 446 16 hp twin.

#5 ·
Glad to hear you are making progress. It's a big job to get those flywheels off sometimes. I much prefer working on the Kohler K's with the points in their own compartment on the outside of the engine!

#7 ·
Got my mf8 going, new Oil, Points, Coil, Condenser and Carburetor. Sat for thirty years. Need to ajust carb better, but running. Enought for the week. Start adjusting stuff, read some more. Thanks for those that steered me the right way.

LeRoy

#8 ·
Glad you got it going! I'm no Tecumseh guru, but it sounds like you have it going your way!

#9 ·
When I got my 8 it had been sitting for 5 years. Had a stuck valve which i got working again with some penetrating oil. Cleaned the carb and away it went. Those Tec. carbs have a bad reputation but can be rebuilt if they are not too far gone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.