I had time to work on the brakes today. The shoes are in good shape and should last
some time. Both of the adjusters were froozen solid. I soaked them in wd40 and was
able to get the left adjuster to turn and was able to clean it up and added some
never seize. The right adjuster would not budge. I heated it with the torch to no
avail. It finally snaped at the weld so I put the threaded part in the vise and heated
it some more and got after it with the big air gun and it finally came loose. I got a
new 1/2-20 hex head bolt and cut the head of and welded it to other part of the adjuster.
I hope I don't sound like an idiot but this tractor is so cool. The way it was made
is ingenious. It looks so simple but it takes a lot of though to make things simple.
It looks like they took the existing brake back plate from the plymouth rear and
rotated it 90 degrees, removed one brake shoe and the wheel cylinder, welded
a sleeve/bushing to back plate to accommodate the lever from the foot pedal and
now simple brakes without the hydraulics from a master cylinder and wheel cylinder.
Edited by fxrs55, July 04, 2012 - 12:41 AM.