• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 10, 2012 - 02:21 PM

A K301 came up for sale today. Heres a link to the ad.http://novascotia.ki...QAdIdZ387027082

It sounds like a good candidate to replace my cracked 321. The flywheel has some sort of shaft on it. Maybe someone here would recognize this configuration if it's from a GT. It may be an adapter of some kind. Any other issues that I would need to address on a swap like this? The 2 engines should be the same size physically. I am not using it for any PTO work so the 2hp difference wouldn't be a big deal. Haven't heard back from the seller yet.

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted June 10, 2012 - 03:17 PM

That is for a drive shaft to hook to. It is removable, I believe. Seeing it is black, I would say it came from a Ford.

#3 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted June 10, 2012 - 05:08 PM

Yup , it sure did as it still has the engine plate for the rubber mounts on it.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 10, 2012 - 05:49 PM

Ok since it came from a Ford and 12HP what model would that have been from? I'm guessing I could unbolt that adapter and flywheel screen and bolt it right in to the JD. It has the VR and would probably have a decent generator capacity. I heard back from the seller and I asked him for the Spec no. which should let me look up the engine parts diagram to compare to the one in the tractor. I cannot get up there until tomorrow night. It's about a 90minute drive from here. If he can't guarantee to hold it til then I won't be making the trip.

#5 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted June 10, 2012 - 07:31 PM

Brian,
I am about 95% sure you could also have the block bored out to replace the 12 hp piston with your 14 hp piston and have yourK 321 back again. Pretty sure same stroke, valve train and block specs except for bore. All the parts from the 14 should bolt right on the 12.

Bill

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted June 10, 2012 - 07:38 PM

Brian,
I am about 95% sure you could also have the block bored out to replace the 12 hp piston with your 14 hp piston and have yourK 321 back again. Pretty sure same stroke, valve train and block specs except for bore. All the parts from the 14 should bolt right on the 12.

Bill

Yes, should have plenty of meat to bore to a 14hp piston, BUT the crank is needed from the K321 to go into this one, as the 321 & 341 use full rounded flyweighted crank throws, where the smaller engines have a flat bottom milled into the crank throws.
People sometimes use the wrong cranks, and suffer failures due to out of balance issues.
  • MH81, Alc, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 11, 2012 - 05:14 AM

Daniel, thanks for the input and detailed information. Do you know if the flywheel has the same external dimensions on both motors. It seems to me that I read that the 301 has a lighter flywheel. I'm wondering about the driveshaft coupler and if it will bolt right up or not. The seller has not run this engine since getting it back from the machine shop and is going to install it and test it and get back to me. It was from a Ford LGT tractor.

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted June 11, 2012 - 05:27 AM

I don't know about the flywheel weight, but the coupler will mount.

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,331 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted June 11, 2012 - 05:31 AM

Sounds like you may have a winner there Brian. Be nice to have the JD back in shape where you aren't wondering when that crack will get bigger & cause problems.

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted June 11, 2012 - 05:51 AM

Best of luck getting this, Brian. Maybe you could run it for a while as is, but keep the option open to make it a K321 later.

#11 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 11, 2012 - 08:04 AM

The only glitch I can see is the exhaust port. On a 314 there is an angle fitting screwed into the engine that allows a straight shot into the muffler pipe which has a right angle bend to the muffler. On a 312 the exhaust has a straight nipple and the pipe from the muffler is at an angle to fit directly in to the nipple. I will likely need to get that adapter off the 314 engine or buy or make another one to put on the 301. I don't know how a Ford lgt muffler would hook up. All this is speculation at this point and depends on the results of the seller testing the engine. I don't know why he put it for sale without testing it first. I'd rather have a 321 but a 301 will work fine in my application. This one should be fresh with a new +.01 piston, rings and rod .01 under sized. So assuming the machine shop did it's job properly this engine should be good for a long time. The 301 doesn't have balance gears to worry about. I checked the 312 parts list and the hydro couple and driveshaft is all the same for 312 and 314 so as Daniel stated it should bolt right up.

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 12, 2012 - 08:06 AM

His engine has the right exhaust fitting on it. Another glitch is the PTO shaft is 1 1/8" and the one on the JD is 1.181 so my clutch will not fit. I am still considering taking it as a temporary solution until I get a 321 block or engine. I'm not sure if the clutch can be adapted down to 1 1/8 or not. Anyone know if that's possible.

#13 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted June 12, 2012 - 12:00 PM

I cannot say for your clutch fitment. This does sound like a pretty good deal for you. I can tell you the 12 hp will do a ton of work for you. My k301 is an absolute beast! Good luck and keep us posted.

Geno

Edited by bgkid2966, June 12, 2012 - 12:02 PM.

#14 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted June 12, 2012 - 12:43 PM

Wrap a piece of .030 Shim stock or sheetmetal around the crank from one side of the key to the other and your good to go.
  • JDBrian said thank you

#15 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 12, 2012 - 03:44 PM

Guys, he has posted a video of the engine running. Have a look and listen and tell me what you think.

• Toolpartzman said thank you