4 replies to this topic

#1 jody37 OFFLINE  

jody37
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10145
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted June 10, 2012 - 12:36 PM

im looking at a john deere 430 and a 455 garden tractor. i was wondering which one is better and how is the power of the 3 cylinder diesel engine. do they work good as a garden tractor in the garden

#2 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted June 10, 2012 - 01:20 PM

Both are excellent machines. The 455 is the more modern of the two and a little easier to run. Both will do garden work admirably, with the diesel delivering more than enough power.

If it was up to me, I'd go for the 455, all things being equal, simply because it is a little newer, easier to run, and easier to find parts for.

Edited by Reverend Blair, June 10, 2012 - 01:20 PM.

#3 Littledeere ONLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted June 10, 2012 - 01:38 PM

Both are excellent machines. The 455 is the more modern of the two and a little easier to run. Both will do garden work admirably, with the diesel delivering more than enough power.

If it was up to me, I'd go for the 455, all things being equal, simply because it is a little newer, easier to run, and easier to find parts for.

Could not have said it better myself 455 would be the pick but 430 is agreat tractor also

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,479 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted June 10, 2012 - 01:43 PM

You can buy them both, give me the one you don't want, and write it off as charity! :bigrofl:

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 10, 2012 - 01:54 PM

A hard choice. The 455 is newer but I think the 430 would be a harder pulling tractor. It is heavier and has a 2 range transmission. I know the 455 has a dif. lock but I'm not sure on the 430. The other issue would be attachments and what is available. That would be a big factor for me. If the attachments you want are not available or are rare and expensive for the 430 then it's not a good choice. Parts availability could be an issue as well. Overall condition of the tractor is always the big variable. A lot of these machines were used commercially and can have a lot of hours on them.