21 replies to this topic

#16 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 09, 2012 - 10:53 PM

Yeah, but on the upside, no skeeters! ;)

that brings up a couple tricks I remember. When I was small we lived in a town famous for it's skeeters.
Dad hung a gallon can on the handle of his push mower, ran a line to the muffler and made a fogger.
Bet that would have the EPA down on him these days!!

Another was a dutch guy I knew, who lived in a Dutch community famous for their tulip festival every spring(Pella Iowa).
He rigged an herbicide drip in the exhaust of his 59 ford. Did not work out too well for him! They fined him $500 for every tulip he killed.

Edited by JD DANNELS, June 09, 2012 - 10:54 PM.

#17 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted June 10, 2012 - 08:18 AM

I'm not familiar with that tractor, but if you are adding oil and the tractor isn't running, then it is leaking out somewhere. Does the engine sit by itself or is it connected to something like a gearbox or transmission? If it is connected to something else, the oil could be leaking into that device. Can you get to the base of the engine and look for oil sitting around the mounting plate?
  • middleageddeere said thank you

#18 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted June 10, 2012 - 08:25 AM

It is sitting by itself and I really don't think it is leaky out the bottom. I am going to go check today but part of the problem is that the oil is so clear at this point that I am not sure I could spot it on the frame. I am going to get it out in the sunshine this afternoon and I will update. Thanks for the helpful and interesting posts guys.

#19 Bud OFFLINE  

Bud

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 650
  • 341 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted June 10, 2012 - 10:21 AM

I don't know anything on this mower and I don't mean this in any insulting way (just somthing that I might do myself), but could you be putting the oil into the axle, tranny, or something else instead of the engine?
  • middleageddeere said thank you

#20 Wheel Horse Kid OFFLINE  

Wheel Horse Kid

Certified Wheel Horse Nut

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10019
  • 213 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted June 10, 2012 - 12:23 PM

that brings up a couple tricks I remember. When I was small we lived in a town famous for it's skeeters.
Dad hung a gallon can on the handle of his push mower, ran a line to the muffler and made a fogger.
Bet that would have the EPA down on him these days!!

Another was a dutch guy I knew, who lived in a Dutch community famous for their tulip festival every spring(Pella Iowa).
He rigged an herbicide drip in the exhaust of his 59 ford. Did not work out too well for him! They fined him $500 for every tulip he killed.

Ouch! $500 a tulip sounds a little overboard to me!

#21 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted June 11, 2012 - 04:44 AM

I don't know anything on this mower and I don't mean this in any insulting way (just somthing that I might do myself), but could you be putting the oil into the axle, tranny, or something else instead of the engine?

No, it is a good point. But I am indeed putting the oil in the correct spot. Thanks though.

#22 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted June 11, 2012 - 04:46 AM

Cut the front lawn yesterday and it ran great the whole time...When I got back to the polebarn just as I shut it off it blows out a bit of smoke. Whoa! I start it back up and no smoke...as soon as I turn it off, a little puff of smoke. Hmmmm...Started looking it over and the actual engine appeared to be smoking as it was off. I think it was overheating?