• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 10, 2012 - 10:54 AM

Glad to rock didn't beat you !! I don't think any of my Gts could have pulled that size rock ,Al

The only reason I could pull it was because of the weight on the tractor. With less weight I just would have spun my wheels. I don't think my x475 would have budged that rock.

#17 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted June 10, 2012 - 12:30 PM

Its pretty amazing what these little tractors can do. Mine ,like yours amazes me at times as to what it can accomplish.I too have rocky land and there always seems to be a stone were ever I want to build/make or put in a post.I'am always digging moving stones just to make things easier plus easier on the mower blades.Glad you got it done and done with style.LOL Larry

#18 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted June 10, 2012 - 12:37 PM

I just thought of this you should have saved that stone.I came across this add on kijiji a while back and thought to myself that with all the stones I have around my place that maybe I should do something like this:
there was a guy advertizing selling stones for $10 each as long as you could lift them yourself if he had to use his compact tractor to load them then they were $ 25 each.If he had to use a larger machine for larger type stones they were $50 each.I thought it was a pretty neat add.Only thing is I'd almost have to have a place to store and show them off.The problem would be to have to cut grass around them and if no one bought any I'd have to put them back in the bush.

Edited by massey driver, June 10, 2012 - 12:52 PM.

• JDBrian said thank you

#19 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 11, 2012 - 08:15 AM

I know what you mean about digging holes and running into rocks. They even seem to work their way up to the surface after you think you burried them at a good depth. When we built the house they used a lot of rocks as backfill and generally left a lot of them around. We needed to move some large ones a few years back to make room for the garage. There was a Cat 325l excavator working on the lot next door that had a thumb on it. I got the operator to come over to our place and move a bunch of rocks. He picked up a rock about the size of a Honda civic and placed it in the woods about 10ft from the driveway. Those machines are very strong. I got a half dozen of them moved for 100$ which was about the float fee for that machine if he wasn't working next door already. Theres not much market for granite rocks here but flat shale rock for use as landscaping stepping stones goes for something like 5$/sqft believe it or not. I have more holes to dig this summer for concrete posts so I'll be seeing more of them but none the size of this last one I hope.

#20 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 11, 2012 - 08:29 AM

Down here we use those big ones to tie ourselves to during tornado season.

I know that is right. :bigrofl: :bigrofl: :bigrofl: