Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

A Look Inside The Engine On My Troy Bilt Jr.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 09, 2012 - 04:21 PM

I recently got a troy Bilt Jr. Tiller and it hadn't been run for about 10 yrs. I wanted to take a look in the engine before attempting other work just to see what condition it's in. It did not have an air cleaner assembly on it at all so I was worried it might have been run without one! When I removed the carb the intake manifold was clean so it looks like it was taken apart and the filter was lost.
The carb was left open to dust all that time and the throttle shaft is so gummed up that the spring will not return the throttle shaft to idle. I also found the fuel line was rotten and split as soon as I moved it. Pretty routine stuff. I decided to pull the head and have a look. It looks like it doesn't have many hours on it. There was some carbon buildup but the top of the piston looks newish. The only problem is that there is a mark on the cylinder where the rings must have sat all that time. You cannot feel any roughness there but the cylinder is dark. I have taken some photos. My question is do I need to worry about this mark on the cylinder? It seems the only way to get rid of it would be to disassemble the engine and hone the cylinder. A lot of work if it's not needed.
Heres some photos.

DSCF7816.jpg DSCF7817.jpg

DSCF7820.jpg DSCF7813.jpg

DSCF7814.jpg DSCF7819.jpg

#2 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted June 09, 2012 - 04:27 PM

I think I would run it, and see what it does.

#3 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10021
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted June 09, 2012 - 04:38 PM

Brian, if you can't feel anything there, you should be fine. A little time running, and they will probably disapear. Or if its bugging you, you could take a very fine piece of emery cloth, and gentley rub them off, just don't rub up, and down. Rub side to side. :thumbs:

Matt
  • JDBrian said thank you

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 09, 2012 - 04:46 PM

Thanks guys. Since I can't feel anything there I think it's some sort of stain , the beginnings of rust maybe, but there is no pitting. I think I'll leave it as is rather than try to sand it.

#5 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,472 Thanks
  • 5,006 posts

Posted June 09, 2012 - 04:53 PM

I would just run it. It will not harm anything. Get an air filter for it and go till. Wouldn't hurt to oil the cylinder wall before starting.
  • JDBrian said thank you

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 09, 2012 - 05:05 PM

That's what I think I'll do Chris. I mean how many times do people start engines that have been sitting, without checking at all. I just wanted some more informed opinions on this. Thanks

#7 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted June 09, 2012 - 07:54 PM

I agree with everyone else. Just oil it and run it.

That looks in great shape! Congrats again on the find!

You'll have that baby up and running great in no time! Good luck!!!!
  • JDBrian said thank you

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 09, 2012 - 08:01 PM

I'm going to order a carb kit, Head gasket, air cleaner and a few other small items for it. The entire air cleaner assembly with filter is only 20$ so I'm just going to order a new one rather then trying to scrounge up the parts and then buy a filter element as well. It's worth investing a bit of cash in this thing. I also tested the spark and got a nice blue snap so it's looking good once I get the carb sorted. The throttle cable is also binding but that should be easy to loosen up.

#9 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted June 09, 2012 - 08:08 PM

I was going to ask if you bought that stuff yet lol.

I bet the only thing wrong with it was a gummed up carb form old gas.

And even with the little bit of money you need to put into it, You still wouldn't even be close to what It normally costs to buy a unit like that!

#10 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,472 Thanks
  • 5,006 posts

Posted June 09, 2012 - 09:55 PM

I'll stick my neck out here and say from the photos that engine should have years of life left in it. I'll also bet that you will take better care of it than most home owners would. :thumbs:

#11 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,445 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted June 09, 2012 - 11:00 PM

Like what the others have said , I think you'll be fine . I have a little story to tell ( love telling stories ) My son bought a Yamaha Blaster , pretty beat machine he bought , the first day he had it it stopped running for him , bad news very low compression , pulled the cyl. apart the rings where stuck on the piston and found what looked like an end mill in the cyl wall , (it wasn't a fresh mark mind you ) Could figure out why a 2 stroke would need that :confuse: Then I figured it out , the circilip was missing on the piston and the wrist pin made a grove at least .060 deep up & down in the bore :( at this point the piston was junk the cyl. was junk ,had nothing to loose , used a utility knife to free up the rings from the melted piston ,used a center punch to keep the rwrist pin in place , stuck everything back together , ran for 2 more years until he broke the connecting rod . Still can't figure out how that thing could have work so good with such a "built in compression release " lol Al
  • JDBrian said thank you

#12 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted June 10, 2012 - 04:50 AM

I think its unamimous-Ignor it, clean 'er up, light 'er off and get the garden ready :orangecool:

#13 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 10, 2012 - 10:48 AM

Nice story Al. Given that story I don't have to worry. I'd say just from looking at this engine that it probably only has maybe 100hrs on it. Got to get my parts ordered and get it running so I'll have it ready for the fall tilling session.

#14 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,820 posts

Posted June 10, 2012 - 11:35 AM

I agree with everyone on this one. Put her together & enjoy! That's more a water stain than anything. It'll be fine.
  • JDBrian said thank you

#15 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 10, 2012 - 02:13 PM

Thanks guys. I just took the carb apart and it's a mess. The needles are corroded badly and the welsh plug in the top of the float bowl is rusty. the float pin is seized in place as well. As far as I can tell the air passages seem clear. I'll get into it a little deeper later on. I have the parts ordered.